M4 SSD 5200 hour timebomb

Soldato
This thread makes me realise how much I use my computer, only had the ssd for a year

cssd.png

That's almost 12 hours a day :eek: :o

I generally turn the pc off when I go out, my 18 month old monitor has 6000 hours on the back light. I need to get a life : /

Associate
Well, I bought a 128GB M4 last week even though I had read about the 5200 hours issue for the simple reason that I feel much more safe with a company that recognises faults when they occur, as opposed to the bliss of ignorance. I was pleasantly surprised to learn that a fix is incoming soon, and I have to say that I am enjoying the experience of using the drive so far. I'm only running on a P5Q Deluxe board, so I'll get even more of a boost if I upgrade to a SATA-3 platform later in the year.

Associate
Not trolling but I got 2 x M225 64gb ssd's in raid running 24/7 since october 2009..not sure how they differ from M4 ...2-3 weeks shutdown per year for hols..15k hours+ no problems...flex:D

Soldato
Luckily I've still got about 5k hours left on mine and my usage isn't very high.

Have Crucial confirmed the issue and that they're working on a solution yet? :confused:

Edit: Nm found the link on the previous page. :)

Last edited:
Soldato
We are aware of an issue that is currently affecting a small number of users whereby their m4 causes their system to require a restart. This issue occurs after approximately 5,000 hours of actual “on time” use. Following the initial reboot, the system then requires subsequent restarts after each additional hour of use. However, the data on the SSD is unaffected and will not be lost due to this condition.

Through our investigation, we have determined the root cause of the problem and will be releasing a firmware update that rectifies the situation. We are currently running through our validation and compatibility process. Once this process is complete, the firmware will be made available to our customers. Although we understand the desire of some people to start using unreleased firmware now, we want to ensure that our solution works across multiple chipsets, systems, and operating systems before publishing the release code. We are currently targeting the week of January 16th, 2012 to publicly release the new firmware update.

We understand the impact that this is having on some users right now and apologize for this inconvenience. We appreciate your continued support, feedback, and patience as we finalize code and resolve this issue.

Dude, Crucial Employee, US

I have faith!

Soldato
how interesting, the most reliable ssd has now revealed its flaw - i wonder how long it will take to patch
I went for the agility 3 - instantly regretted it from all the problems.

Thankfully (3 firmware updates later) - I no longer suffer from BSOD's! & I'm glad I picked that one.

Hopefully an update will fix it for you guys also - annoying having to deal with all that with my agility 3.

Back
Top Bottom