Magic the Gathering (MtG)

Soldato
Just went to a taster day in my local shop. Bought a starter pack, got to admit it was kind of hard to keep up with all the rules. I kept comparing it to warcraft 3 / starcraft in terms of all the different mechanics.

Will get mtg arena to help with the learning process.

Associate
Just went to a taster day in my local shop. Bought a starter pack, got to admit it was kind of hard to keep up with all the rules. I kept comparing it to warcraft 3 / starcraft in terms of all the different mechanics.

Can be a bit overwhelming at the beginning but then it all becomes second nature.

It is a great social game, I keep coming back every few months/years :)

Soldato

MTGA will definitely help.Though really learning and more importantly understanding the stack and triggers is going to help you more. Often part of that is just playing the game but watch any pro tour and you will see even pros having to work through stack calls sometimes.

Plus if you stick to standard format and a basic deck (like red aggro) your not having to learn cards outside of the format, and can just focus on playing the game. Do note though that this is probably the most technical standard we've had in a long time.

Last edited:
Associate

I got into it in 2017 and also found it overwhelming too. My friends who got me into it played Commander and thats really confusing as its more or less every card from all of Magic history and thats quite some thousands! But I found, especially casual Commander players, people to be very understanding and not bite your head off if you make a mistake, take your time or ask questions!

I took a couple of years out and just came back last week for the Lord of the Rings set release (the lore and art is incredible if you like LOTR) and still almost felt slightly overwhlemed at all the cards/mechanics I'd missed in two years!

Should you get into it properly I recommend Commander (also known as EDH) as a format - your decks stay playable over time unlike the more competitive formats like Standard/Modern wchich can be huge money sinks regularly to stay on top of the meta. Also pre-release events are my personal favourite events; more casual and fun and a chance to enjoy brand new cards where everyone is in the same boat having not played with them before so its a good pitch leveller!

Soldato
Also heard the one ring card has been found apparently it sold for 2 million it was a 001/001 card crazy 2 million for a bit of cardboard

In much the same way a lot of art is just some paint on a bit of paper? It's easy to devalue something by breaking it down to its foundations.
*But yes I agree it seems a bit mad.

Last edited:
Soldato
I don't believe there's been any confirmation that it's sold yet has it? Yes it was found, yes the highest bid at the time was $2mil. I believe that was from a company too, and there's a lot of PR and marketing activity that can be generated by having the game's rarest card! Previous record was around $800k I believe for a signed Black Lotus and bar the signature that's not even a 1/1 card (and is well old so its lore is restricted to MTG rather than The One Ring which extends into that franchise).

Would love to have been a fly on the wall when the Canadian person found it!

Associate
I used to play around the time of revised edition and Legends for about 3 years, about 93 to 96/7 at a guess but sold all the expensive cards when I found out their value in about 2013 ish , mostly to fund my growing board game hobby. I still have a few 1000 left but rarely play anymore since we all moved on to other things but great whilst it lasted

Soldato
Can someone explain this? I was playing Arena last night and these two were on the battlefield. Soul-Scar Mage is mine, Phyrexian Vindicator my opponents. I used a Lightning Bolt on Phyrexian Vindicator thinking that my Soul-Scar Mage would trigger and place counters instead. But no, his triggered first and the damage was deflected (he also killed Soul-Scar Mage to add to the failure).

7f8Dx6r.png
GXK0bJU.png

Can anyone explain the rules behind this interaction? I assume the targeted card triggers first or something?

Soldato
Because prevention/replacement effects are at the choice of the opponent..its just that mtga assumes the prevention first rather than having some weird ui thing where its selected.

Rule 616.1 If two or more replacement and/or prevention effects are attempting to modify the way an event affects an object or player, the affected object’s controller (or its owner if it has no controller) or the affected player chooses one to apply.

Rule 616.1e Once the chosen effect has been applied, this process is repeated (taking into account only replacement or prevention effects that would now be applicable) until there are no more left to apply.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom