Magic the Gathering (MtG)

Associate
Came 2nd on Game Day out of ~20 entrants at the LGS. Up to that day I'd only played a handful of duel deck games with the GF and 2-2 on my first FNM the night before.

I feel encouraged :)

How did everyone else do?

Soldato
picked up 2 of the 2015 commander decks today, not sure which are good but got the Red/Blue deck and White/Black decks.

my wife picked White/Black so we are going to wrap one each up for Christmas,

I'm tempted to sell off all my single cards. I've only got 2 booster boxes from battle for zendikar and 3/4 Origins fat packs worth of singles (most >£10 cards have already been sold) but the fact we only play each other the prebuilt decks are far more appealing then trying to build balanced decks ourselves as neither of us have the knowledge or time and I would rather it be spent playing.

Associate
picked up 2 of the 2015 commander decks today, not sure which are good but got the Red/Blue deck and White/Black decks.

The R/U is pretty damn good and can be absolutely broken with a few changes. B/G is best out of the box and again, can be upgraded on the cheap easily. I bought U/G which is a bit janky out of the box and needs changes but, it's fun to play.

Gotta love EDH!

Soldato
The R/U is pretty damn good and can be absolutely broken with a few changes. B/G is best out of the box and again, can be upgraded on the cheap easily. I bought U/G which is a bit janky out of the box and needs changes but, it's fun to play.

Gotta love EDH!

never actually played EDH but i really like the idea of it :)

also picked up a face the hydra solo/coop set to hopefully help to build decks and get a better understanding of how cards work with each other.

Associate
Anyone been to prerelease over the weekend? This was surprisingly my first one. I can honestly 100% say I was absolutely schooled haha. The playing curve between the guys I play with and those guys wasn't even funny. Think I won 3 out of 6. Got some good cards and had an OK deck.

Don't even care I didn't play well, as I had already won upon opening the prerelease box. Got a promo Sorin, kept him sealed, no way was I using him haha. Will try to remember to put pics up tomorrow.

Associate
I went to one in Oxford. Had a blast.

winning 3 of 6 (50%) seems a pretty fair result! I guess it depends which games you won.

I played 4 rounds.
lost 2-0
lost 2-0
won 2-0
won 2-0

Basically, once I made my way to the bottom table, away from the good players, I was unstoppable :D

I've not yet mastered making the 'best deck' as opposed to the 'fun deck' from the cards I open.

The set seems to be a massive win in terms of flavour and fun. If anyone's been out of it for a bit, now seems to be a great time to get back into Magic :D

Soldato
My son has got into this, he had about £100 worthj of cards for Xmas. He goes to a local comic/geek store which hosts weekly gaming events for mgt, and he seems to enjoy it.

He came third a few weeks ago from 18 players. :)

He is only 13 as well, so cannot be bad.

Associate
Find out if there's a local club near you via the official website. Most run a Friday event called "Friday Night Magic" but if you contact them and say you have a new player who wants to learn they will be able to help you out with what local events/meetups there are. If they run a "sealed" event, that would be perfect (everyone opens ~6 packs of cards and makes a 40-card deck using basic land cards (usually provided by the organiser). It means people with big collections are not at an advantage. The entry cost is usually just the 6 packs (and you keep all the cards you open).

If you mean for learning the basic rules, there's no substitute for an experienced player, but youtube videos will give you the gist of it.

Soldato
Find out if there's a local club near you via the official website. Most run a Friday event called "Friday Night Magic" but if you contact them and say you have a new player who wants to learn they will be able to help you out with what local events/meetups there are. If they run a "sealed" event, that would be perfect (everyone opens ~6 packs of cards and makes a 40-card deck using basic land cards (usually provided by the organiser). It means people with big collections are not at an advantage. The entry cost is usually just the 6 packs (and you keep all the cards you open).

If you mean for learning the basic rules, there's no substitute for an experienced player, but youtube videos will give you the gist of it.

Thanks. Do you think MTG would be good for a first card game? He is 7 but extremely bright, definitely a year or 2 above his peers.

Soldato
A[L]C;29931258 said:
Thanks. Do you think MTG would be good for a first card game? He is 7 but extremely bright, definitely a year or 2 above his peers.

With a good teacher 7 is perfectly able to learn the game. I agree with the above poster that finding your local shop that runs magic tournaments is worthwhile. The staff should know the game and show you the basics, rather than trying to learn the basics together. So that you know, the puzzle quest game has very little overlap with the actual card game.

The other thing you could do is get Magic Duels. It's available on a range of devices and the older versions are free to play now. The older versions will teach you a lot of the game, the newest version will have the most recent cards in it.

Soldato
A[L]C;29931258 said:

my 8yr old is able to play and shes dyslexic so its possible, we currently play with the 20 card free trial decks as they have simple cards in to learn the basics of the game, they are also all evenly balanced so its always fun. they stick to simple mechanics such as reach, flying, trample and vigilance.

if you manage to get hold of these its also a lot lighter on your pocket.

second to this i would suggest a duel deck... have a look online for the best rated ones. these are a bit more advanced but the good ones work very well for a quick duel.

if hes interested it might be worth watching a few episodes of spellslingers on youtube as it is good at showing how to play the game (although seems a bit scripted at times)

Permabanned
I'd defo start with the 2 player 20 card decks as opposed to the duel decks. My mate, a 26 year old student, struggled when him and I in the game with a duel deck.

Soldato
Bit of a bump but I do have a question. Having recently got back into board games and whatnot I have also purchased a duel deck, Merfolk vs Goblins to play with the wife. I have had it for a good month but not had chance to play it but I am also wondering this, if we do like it would buying a few booster packs for these two decks add a lot or is it worth just buying a full set of the current game? Not entirely clued up on the versions but we would only play it by ourselves and possibly with a friend or two nothing competitive,.

Permabanned
Bit of a bump but I do have a question. Having recently got back into board games and whatnot I have also purchased a duel deck, Merfolk vs Goblins to play with the wife. I have had it for a good month but not had chance to play it but I am also wondering this, if we do like it would buying a few booster packs for these two decks add a lot or is it worth just buying a full set of the current game? Not entirely clued up on the versions but we would only play it by ourselves and possibly with a friend or two nothing competitive,.

Best thing to do is get a couple of the newest "Planeswalker" decks, they are built to fight each other AND if you wanted you can buy a couple of booster packs from the same set to add into it.

Chances are if you just buy some booster sets to add into your merfolk vs goblin decks you're not really going to be able to use any of the cards you open (maybe the merfolk one, but goblins are not as prolific in the newest set).

Soldato
TCGs don't work the same way as board games. A Living Card Game is what you think Magic is: you buy a base box, two if you like it and want the most options, then expansions add full playsets of every new card. Buying "a full set of the current game" in Magic will set you back literally thousands of pounds and won't be worth it anyway.

Soldato
Best thing to do is get a couple of the newest "Planeswalker" decks, they are built to fight each other AND if you wanted you can buy a couple of booster packs from the same set to add into it.

Chances are if you just buy some booster sets to add into your merfolk vs goblin decks you're not really going to be able to use any of the cards you open (maybe the merfolk one, but goblins are not as prolific in the newest set).

Commander box sets are my suggestion.... :) Commander is a bit more casual/fun as a format and we have played MANY an evening away. Using the pre-built sets makes it very easy as a starting point.

https://magic.wizards.com/en/content/commander-format

Permabanned
Yeah thats the only issue with commander, you're going to be stopping and googling the rules for abilities a lot.

If you're not on too tight a budget, the Planeswalker decks are very user friendly. I'd give them a go and when you then get bored, get a commander deck each. Since they are 100 card "singleton" (so no more than 1 of each card) you'll have loads of games before you get bored of the cards (unlike the planeswalker decks where after 10 games you've seen all it can do).

EDIT: Bonus with commander decks, if you have it so that between you, you can cover either 4 or all 5 colours, you can get a booster back from any set and you'll have a decent chance of finding a card or three that you can just throw into your decks.

Back
Top Bottom