Marvel Animation's X-Men '97

Soldato
I can't remember how it ended back in the days but that's probably because I preferred Spider-Man more. Will watch maybe previous last season.

Caporegime
I can't remember how it ended back in the days but that's probably because I preferred Spider-Man more. Will watch maybe previous last season.
Final episode of season 5 would be sufficient imo, after watching episode 1 just now. It's barely 20 minutes but seems to lead right into X-men '97.

Watched episode 1 just now. Animation is amazing. Crisp colours, widescreen, tiny subtle changes in the characters., HDR, 4k. After watching the older 90's episodes on D+ this is night and day in terms of picture quality alone.

Edit: Longer episode as well, it was a solid 26 minutes long whereas the old series was less than 20.

rp2000

Last edited:
Caporegime
Episode 2 done. Another amazing 26 minutes.

They've nailed the whole theme of the original series and turned everything up a few notches. Some scenes were more emotionally charged than some live action shows tbh. Magneto dropping truth bombs and mics all over the place. Just based on those 2 episodes it's better than some other (live action) MCU shows on D+!

rp2000

Associate
Speculation:

The Magneto and Rogue relationship hints as possibly an intimdate relationship from before the original series, alluding to the Age of Apocalypse relationship where they were a couple. However, given the age of the characters at the time and the nature of the animated series (whilst against bigotry, I'm certain the age gap issue is one issue they won't try to cross even if it's legal), I'm speculating this might not be going with that here. But rather, possibly a father daughter relationship that would then set Rogue and Gambit against each other until that is sorted.

Loving what I'm seeing right now though from episode one and two.

Caporegime
Speculation:

The Magneto and Rogue relationship hints as possibly an intimdate relationship from before the original series, alluding to the Age of Apocalypse relationship where they were a couple. However, given the age of the characters at the time and the nature of the animated series (whilst against bigotry, I'm certain the age gap issue is one issue they won't try to cross even if it's legal), I'm speculating this might not be going with that here. But rather, possibly a father daughter relationship that would then set Rogue and Gambit against each other until that is sorted.

Loving what I'm seeing right now though from episode one and two.
It's been over 24 hours since it aired, but I'll use spoiler tags anyway...

The Magneto + Rogue retcon (wasn't in the 90s show) was the only off thing I found in the 2 episodes. Will see where they go with it. Whereas the Wolverine/Jean/Scott issue was covered well in the 90s show so it seems logical that continues, considering this is set straight after those events. Felt bad for Gambit though :mad:. Ended with a nice cliffhanger. I'm guessing the new Jean is the real one and some clone took her place at some point in the 90s series. It's got Mr Sinister written all over it! Also the whole episode 1 and parts of 2 had a few similarities to the original "Night of the Sentinels" 2 part season opener from the 90s show

I think we pretty much saw 95% of what was in the trailers in the 1st 2 episodes, so no real idea where the story will go, which is good. Roll on Wednesday.

rp2000

Caporegime
Generally speaking I tend to avoid reviews and ratings sites when deciding what to watch.
But coincidentally they just posted a YT about the RT rating:

rp2000

Caporegime
First sort of filler episode this week. Still very good, particularly the retro/16 bit animation styles were very good, but a bit meh in terms of the long term storyline. Loads of callbacks to the 90's series though.

rp2000

Back
Top Bottom