Massive Car insurance costs?

Associate
Wife's RR Evoque went from ~£450 to £900!!!! Shopped around, couldn't find cheaper :(

Sold it. Bought a newer G31 530d and it's cheaper to insure (though not by much).

My M3 went from £750 to £900 :( :( :(
Just out of interest (and I will ask others here), hypothetically, let's say you were offered insurance of £150 per year on the basis that you installed a dashcam and you had to verify this with the insurance company. Would you take up the offer?

Man of Honour
Just out of interest (and I will ask others here), hypothetically, let's say you were offered insurance of £150 per year on the basis that you installed a dashcam and you had to verify this with the insurance company. Would you take up the offer?
That would be a saving of £650 for something I already have installed so yes, right now I don't declare it if asked because it saves me nothing and could just give them another get out clause if something happened but if the saving was worth it I would.

Soldato
For me that would depend entirely on the obligations placed on me by the insurance company regarding the dashcam footage. If they only needed it, and could only request it, in the event of a claim then I would. If they could demand any recordings at all, at any time, then no.

Associate
Admiral
Last year: £308
Renewal quote: £403

Meerkat site has plenty of options around £250

Anyone know if it's even worth calling Admiral to see if they can do better?

Unlikely. But if you have a spare 15mins...
Whenever i ring to cancel these days it seems like they don't even bother trying to better a deal. Just get onto the compare sites, and take a quick look at possible cashback for an additional £20 to £50.

Soldato
Admiral

i am with admiral and every year so far i have got them to lower their renewal with a call.

my insurance is due in a month so i have the dance coming up soon.

Man of Honour
Admiral

My guess is if you phone them they will probably come back with the previous years price as the "best" they can do but you never know.

Soldato
Insurance isn't due for another month no quotes have dropped yet. I'm dreading it
Hell yes. Why wouldn't you? Its a no brainer

Admiral

Why are you sticking with the same insurer if its so much cheaper elsewhere? Do you think they care if you renew with them or not? Genuinely curious.

Last edited:
Associate
Got my renewal done for my car, missus' car and the house. Admiral quoted £1810 on the auto renewal for the whole lot. I got them down to £1675, which was not good enough.
Ran quotes on Compare the Market and Confused. Went with Hastings for the cars and got further discount on the multi cover for cars and Policy Expert for the house. Got the overall down to £1080. Well worth the effort of 2-3 hours.

I have 8 years NCB and the missus has 1 year of NCB. It was a bit funny when negotiating with Admiral, the analyst on the call said if I remove myself as the named driver on the Missus' car then her quote gets reduced by £150. I asked them how does that work since I am more experienced driver added to the policy hence it should be a positive and not a negative. There was no answer to that lol. That's me done for this year, will circle back next year. :D

Soldato
Got my renewal done for my car, missus' car and the house. Admiral quoted £1810 on the auto renewal for the whole lot. I got them down to £1675, which was not good enough.
Ran quotes on Compare the Market and Confused. Went with Hastings for the cars and got further discount on the multi cover for cars and Policy Expert for the house. Got the overall down to £1080. Well worth the effort of 2-3 hours.

I have 8 years NCB and the missus has 1 year of NCB. It was a bit funny when negotiating with Admiral, the analyst on the call said if I remove myself as the named driver on the Missus' car then her quote gets reduced by £150. I asked them how does that work since I am more experienced driver added to the policy hence it should be a positive and not a negative. There was no answer to that lol. That's me done for this year, will circle back next year. :D
Same sort of number with admiral up from 1050.

It's due to renew on the 27th....

They did drop it down to £1450... but I may contact Hastings and see what they can offer me.

Back
Top Bottom