** MASSIVE NVIDIA PRICE DROP!!! **

OcUK Staff
OP
You're missing my point. How do you determine whether an item is used or not? If an item comes back to you in seemingly perfect condition but the box has been opened what happens? Back into the new stack or B Grade?

As I say, it wouldn't be that difficult to use an item and test how it clocks and then box it up without it having the appearance of ever being used. End result: item which is used ends up back in the new stock.

Or are you saying ANYTHING returned goes into B Grade...? And that it's just if you determine whether it's used or not which dictates whether a restocking fee is charge?

If the box is opened, it is b-graded! Simples.
Any item being used is easy to spot, seals if present broken being the easiest one.
No seals visual inspection of the hardware it is easy to tell by simply looking for marks on the connectors.

When you insert a CPU into a motherboard, it marks the CPU.
When you insert memory into a motherboard the connectors are marked.
When you insert a graphics card, the connectors are marked as is the blanking plate from the screw.

So for us who make a living of this we can very easily tell what is used and what is not.

Anything showing any sign of usage is b-graded no matter how slight!

Caporegime
You are liable for any diminished value of the goods resulting from the handling other than what is necessary to establish the nature, characteristics and functioning of the goods. For example, if it goes beyond the sort of handling that might reasonably be allowed in a shop. We will deduct this amount from the value of the refund.

Yeah, I see that now.
But 1.) Support section still wrong as it has no stipulation.
2.) That sounds like a blanket restocking fee.

Associate
That also changed in June,

I really don't understand how any of this has suddenly become an issue when the law changed and was quite openly discussed back in June.

I've never even heard about it. You'd think changes to consumer protection legislation would be a hot topic, but I guess people aren't interested until it affects them.

Edit: late reply, I thought Twst's post on the last page was the latest message. Perils of browsing forums on mobile! I'llstay on topic now.

Last edited:
Soldato
If the box is opened, it is b-graded! Simples.
Any item being used is easy to spot, seals if present broken being the easiest one.
No seals visual inspection of the hardware it is easy to tell by simply looking for marks on the connectors.

When you insert a CPU into a motherboard, it marks the CPU.
When you insert memory into a motherboard the connectors are marked.
When you insert a graphics card, the connectors are marked as is the blanking plate from the screw.

So for us who make a living of this we can very easily tell what is used and what is not.

Anything showing any sign of usage is b-graded no matter how slight!

OK thank you for clarifying but I don't think that's a 100% secure way in determining whether or not it has been used (e.g. don't screw the graphics card into the case) nor do I think that there is a way of doing it and getting it right 100% of the time. Obviously you'll get most of them but not all IMO.

Just makes me worry that I'm getting a non-new item when buying.

Soldato
If the items is faulty then it does not fall under these rules and of course a refund issued.

This is the main issue for me, any competent techie knows a monitor with a pixel fault is a faulty monitor, all users know it, any competent retailer knows it, yet because the law written by computer illiterates says its fine to have a few dead/bright pixels per million, manufacturers get away with shipping faulty monitors and now with DSR gone the is no way for consumers to avoid getting screwed if they buy on-line :(

OcUK Staff
OP
Yeah, I see that now.
But 1.) Support section still wrong as it has no stipulation.
2.) That sounds like a blanket restocking fee.

It is here:-
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/supportdetails.php#opt1

In writing.
All explained, by simply clicking the unwanted link.

As already said most items returned to us under DSR are truly un-wanted they come back to us even in our original shipping packaging untampered, normally because the wife caught the husband out spending money. ;)

But people who think DSR means they can play with a product, overclock it, get a few results and then send it back, yes of course you can but you have used it and as such don't expect a full refund. As that item will be b-graded and sold at a loss.

Soldato
Yes if you have used it.

It very clearly explains this in our store:

14 Days / Satisfaction Guaranteed
If you wish to cancel your order and return it for a full refund, you have up to a total of 14 days to contact us after the final receipt of your order.

You must inform us in writing if you wish to cancel your order. This can be done through the forums, by webnote, fax or post.

You must return the goods within 14 days of notifying us of the cancellation. We will reimburse you within 14 days of receipt of the goods using the same means of payment as you used when placing the order.

Unfortunately we cannot cover all unforeseeable costs and you will have to pay for the return of any unwanted goods you are returning. Please package the goods properly and ship them in a separate outer box, including all packaging, cables, manuals, drivers and protective bags, however small.

You are liable for any diminished value of the goods resulting from the handling other than what is necessary to establish the nature, characteristics and functioning of the goods. For example, if it goes beyond the sort of handling that might reasonably be allowed in a shop. We will deduct this amount from the value of the refund.

We regret that we cannot accept cancellations of computer software if it is unsealed. Accessories and promotional items are part of the order and must be returned to ensure a full refund is given. Free games codes should be unused and still hidden.

Does the 14 day satisfaction guarantee still apply for in store purchases?

OcUK Staff
OP
OK thank you for clarifying but I don't think that's a 100% secure way in determining whether or not it has been used (e.g. don't screw the graphics card into the case) nor do I think that there is a way of doing it and getting it right 100% of the time. Obviously you'll get most of them but not all IMO.

Just makes me worry that I'm getting a non-new item when buying.

Then you'd never a buy a product from anywhere. As yours fears could happen anywhere when buying online.

Caporegime
It is here:-
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/supportdetails.php#opt1

In writing.
All explained, by simply clicking the unwanted link.

As already said most items returned to us under DSR are truly un-wanted they come back to us even in our original shipping packaging untampered, normally because the wife caught the husband out spending money. ;)

But people who think DSR means they can play with a product, overclock it, get a few results and then send it back, yes of course you can but you have used it and as such don't expect a full refund. As that item will be b-graded and sold at a loss.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/support.php that's the page I'm on about, no stipulation.

I do dislike people abuse DSR. But does this mean any item opened and going into b-grade will have a deducted refund?

OcUK Staff
OP
Does the 14 day satisfaction guarantee still apply for in store purchases?

Yes of course it does, but if you use the item then of course a full refund won't be issued.

We treat in-store purchases the same as online. So if you buy in-store and a week later have not opened/used the product and no longer need/want it, you can simply bring it back for a refund. :)

Associate
Not very

So, how used does something have to be in order to have a restocking fee?

The Regulations provide that a customer has the right to inspect the goods in the same way that they would be able to in a shop, in person before buying. So that means if you are buying a graphics card then you would be able to inspect the out side of the box.

Anything beyond that and the seller is probably entitled to consider charging a restocking fee.

If the items is not shrink wrapped, or otherwise sealed when sent, then logic would state that if an item is opened for inspection (without any damage to the packaging) and the item is replaced in as-new condition, then the retailer on return probably is not entitled to charge a restocking fee.

Soldato
Yes of course it does, but if you use the item then of course a full refund won't be issued.

We treat in-store purchases the same as online. So if you buy in-store and a week later have not opened/used the product and no longer need/want it, you can simply bring it back for a refund. :)

But how is it a satisfaction guarantee if it can't be used at all? For example, you get a new monitor, you open it, and upon use you realise its picture isn't satisfactory. You've stated it's opened, so will bear a restocking fee. Also you mentioned seals, which suggests if the seal's broken it a full refund won't be given. Which again isn't a guarantee of satisfaction.

Back
Top Bottom