Mercedes Benz and AMG Owners

Soldato
GF's car has just been into local Mercedes as an error kept appearing stating "4 matic system not functioning".

Mercedes have stated they've recalibrated the rear differential. Can I ask the experts here what that would entail?

Car is GLA A35 AMG.

Soldato
So the A35 is going back to Mercedes next week (again) and this time it appears the rear diff is going to be replaced after x 2 visits, x 2 software updates and still we have 4matic inoperative appear and the car runs on 2 wheel drive.

A little frustrating but that's what a warranty is for I guess

Soldato
GF's car has just been into local Mercedes as an error kept appearing stating "4 matic system not functioning".

Mercedes have stated they've recalibrated the rear differential. Can I ask the experts here what that would entail?

Car is GLA A35 AMG.
Even before I read the further post where it has re-appeared, my guess for 'recalibrated' was going to be - checked the error codes, couldn't find any, so just reset the whole thing and hoped for the best.

Man of Honour
Mercedes dealers (I am now on my 4th) show themselves to be average to terrible. Occasional going the extra mile goodness and that is great, but usually they end up letting you down. Last time my car was in for an airbag error which related to the seatbelt connector on the passenger side, I was miffed to find they had removed the fire extinguisher in the footwell and forgot to refit it. No biggie, took me 1 minute so let it go.

Few weeks later, girlfriend gets into the passenger seat to find they had also forgotten to refit the lap belt on the passenger side too!! Again, took a couple of very fiddly minutes to resolve, but another example of shabby work on one of their halo cars. Yet to fire up the energy to message the dealership about it.

Not as if seatbelts are important of course....

Last edited:
Soldato
Mercedes dealers (I am now on my 4th) show themselves to be average to terrible. Occasional going the extra mile goodness and that is great, but usually they end up letting you down. Last time my car was in for an airbag error which related to the seatbelt connector on the passenger side, I was miffed to find they had removed the fire extinguisher in the footwell and forgot to refit it. No biggie, took me 1 minute so let it go.

Few weeks later, girlfriend gets into the passenger seat to find they had also forgotten to refit the lap belt on the passenger side too!! Again, took a couple of very fiddly minutes to resolve, but another example of shabby work on one of their halo cars. Yet to fire up the energy to message the dealership about it.

Not as if seatbelts are important of course....

When companies fail at the basic things, it can be incredibly demotivating.

My experience with Audi actually started my journey of thinking about selling my car and I did eventually sell within a year.

It wasn’t as bad as you, by any means, but little things, such as refusing to do just the interior clean when in for a service, as it may be “too confusing for the valet staff who are used to doing inside and out”.

I’m really hoping I have a better experience with Porsche.

Caporegime
Anyone owned, or owns a CLK AMG 6.2? My 428i will be paid off by the end of next year and musing a change to a V8. There's also a CLS AMG as well as the C and E. Budget would be around £20k next year.

Man of Honour
When companies fail at the basic things, it can be incredibly demotivating.

My experience with Audi actually started my journey of thinking about selling my car and I did eventually sell within a year.

It wasn’t as bad as you, by any means, but little things, such as refusing to do just the interior clean when in for a service, as it may be “too confusing for the valet staff who are used to doing inside and out”.

I’m really hoping I have a better experience with Porsche.
I emailed the head of service to let him know. The post stimulated me to let him know and he came back immediately. asked for nothing more than get it right next time please. He has proven to be highly responsive so sense he will have words.

Man of Honour
Yeah Mercedes dealers are pretty awful now. The Sytner dealership near me was brilliant, so much so I bought two cars from them, but then they got bought out by Sandown and have become possibly the worst dealership I've ever experienced.

I think the only company to top Mercs incompetence is BMW, I've not encountered a dealership that isn't the pits.

Man of Honour
My experience with BMW is generally quite good, one dealer in particular has been outstanding on multiple occasions.

I've heard nothing good about any Merc dealers for a long time now... a pity.

Soldato
Anyone owned, or owns a CLK AMG 6.2? My 428i will be paid off by the end of next year and musing a change to a V8. There's also a CLS AMG as well as the C and E. Budget would be around £20k next year.

I had a normal CLK, 2002 I think it was. they rust! back arches go. Mine had had them fixed by the previous owner, so not an issue.

I had a C63, was epic! absolutely drinks fuel more than you can imagine! :D

Caporegime
I had a normal CLK, 2002 I think it was. they rust! back arches go. Mine had had them fixed by the previous owner, so not an issue.

I had a C63, was epic! absolutely drinks fuel more than you can imagine! :D
Thank you. I don't do that much in town driving these days. Since I got my 428i in June 2021 I've done 20,000 miles more or less but this past year I've done less than 9k so it's not too much of an issue. Last fill up was 26.63mpg! It's a real struggle to keep it over 30, but will be driving like a nun to see how much better I can get it to be for this tankful.

Soldato
Thank you. I don't do that much in town driving these days. Since I got my 428i in June 2021 I've done 20,000 miles more or less but this past year I've done less than 9k so it's not too much of an issue. Last fill up was 26.63mpg! It's a real struggle to keep it over 30, but will be driving like a nun to see how much better I can get it to be for this tankful.
Driving like a nun never helped! :D Still a thirsty girl!

Back
Top Bottom