Mercedes Benz and AMG Owners

Caporegime
Mercedes dropping the price of 400+ brand new, delivery mileage EQC's by £30k probably doesn't help the depreciation of the older models ! :eek:
Appears the 'Premium' spec EQC had most of the extra features removed due the chip shortage and Merc didn't add them back when the chips were plentiful, but continued to charge the same price for it.

Lease deal here :

Wasn't just EQC's. I cancelled my top spec GLE because every month I got another email from merc saying something else would be missing from the car and also the car was increasing in price from when I ordered it!

Soldato
Test drove an eqs amg 53 today. Very marmite it seems but was a lovely car.

Coming from a Tesla tough the steering wheel controls are horrendous. Why is every manufacturer even on their premium end insisting on this rubbish touch capacitance button pad things (ofc I’m sure it’s cost) but they are horrendous and seem to get worse as the years move on.

The buttons were that bad it became an instant reject.

Soldato
Seems the same on pretty much every new car. Capacitive screens are much cheaper in the long term to design, install and update so despite the vast majority of people HATING them, manufacturers will not listen.

I like the EQS interior overall, but I find the EQ saloons all ugly as sin.

Last edited:
Soldato
Seems the same on pretty much every new car. Capacitive screens are much cheaper in the long term to design, install and update so despite the vast majority of people HATING them, manufacturers will not listen.

I like the EQS interior overall, but I find the EQ saloons all ugly as sin.
I did in pictures but in person looked awesome both inside and out.

Seems VW are rolling back.

Caporegime
Wasn't just EQC's. I cancelled my top spec GLE because every month I got another email from merc saying something else would be missing from the car and also the car was increasing in price from when I ordered it!
I think Mercedes have gone insane with their EV lineup.

Ridiculously expensive and not terribly well reviewed.

90 Grand for an EQE SUV
130 Grand for an EQS SUV

The EQC is already dated and the performance, boot capacity, range and charging speeds are better on rival cars.

Soldato
Had scanned pistonheads lease car thread - there was the suggestion that although EQC & co have some cheap deals that might be offset by high insurance cost.

Soldato
I bought my first Mercedes last week. A pristine 2008 CLC, I love it atm, things at first felt tough, strong movement needed for the gears and the steering felt heavy, but I think in hindsight that it's just the feel of solid mechanics that I've not been used to. I now feel like it's really well planted and very smooth to drive.

What's everyone's thoughts on an updated Android center console? Some of them even allow for a reverse camera, but adds GPS, Bluetooth streaming, phone, etc etc.

I can't quite gauge whether they look tacky.
H15be1b990528439dbbe39ef3c78bcf74h.jpg_640x640Q90.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
I think Mercedes have gone insane with their EV lineup.

Ridiculously expensive and not terribly well reviewed.

90 Grand for an EQE SUV
130 Grand for an EQS SUV

The EQC is already dated and the performance, boot capacity, range and charging speeds are better on rival cars.
Priced for salary sacrifice market?

Soldato
Given I don’t have the £4-£5k @DRZ recommended for annual maintenance I think that’s a non-starter. I do love the saloon though.

£5k a year for maintaining an E92 M3?! Nope. I had one for 3.5 years as a daily driver and probably spent that sort of money on it over that entire ownership.

Like anything on these cars, you can run it as a car where you take it to BMW for everything and write them a blank cheque - or you can be smart about it and save huge amounts of money whilst not compromising on quality.

I only used to get the BMW independent I use to do the oil service, brake fluid, spark plugs and diff fluid. I also got the DCT fluid/filter/sump, engine mounts and rod bearings done for £2k.

Anything else I used to do myself. I refreshed the whole suspension with OEM TRW parts for around £250. Did air filters/cabin filters myself with OEM parts for cheap.

Tyres lasted 20k+ with a track day with Michelin 4S's

Front Brake discs were about £300 a pair, pads around £50 and fitted myself.

Soldato
Anyone owned, or owns a CLK AMG 6.2? My 428i will be paid off by the end of next year and musing a change to a V8. There's also a CLS AMG as well as the C and E. Budget would be around £20k next year.

I'd say to avoid the CLK as someone else has alluded to, they have really really bad rust issues IIRC. I've got the 6.2 C63 AMG PPP and it's a brilliant car. Unfortunately the VED on it these days is getting silly (£700) on top of the fuel (I average 21mpg and it does about 27mpg on a run), tyres, repairs etc. For nearly 500bhp it's very reasonable on costs, but some MB only parts are insane - there are two suspension arms at the front which are MB only parts which £400 each. The rocker covers like to crack and leak on the cars with plastic ones which cost £350 each side. The price increases MB have introduced are insane. These parts used to be pretty reasonable only a couple of years ago (£200 for rocker cover and £200 for suspension arms). On the other hand - servicing is very cheap if you're smart. 10 litres of Genuine MB oil is £60 from eBay MB dealers. This very same oil they charge £270 for when you get your serviced at MB.

Soldato
Will find out on Tuesday but will request a courtesy car. Hopefully it won't take too long to sort
So update on the GFs GLA 35.

Rear diff was ordered before xmas and replaced yesterday. Informed all ready to collect this AM. GF got to local Mercedes to find the car still on the ramp. Not cleaned and full of dirty greasy finger prints everywhere. Couldn't wait for that to be sorted as due into work. With the car being on the ramp I mentioned if it's actually had a road test to make sure it's all road worthy. Assured it was but still argued when did they have time if on the ramp still?!

We've had other issues of a damaged alloy and tyre damage when having front brake pads changed. All repaired now.
Car being left unlocked and windows open on forecourt after being serviced/checked. So had to use the MercedesMe app to close it all as had an alert.
Just stinks of really poor service quality so the manager has asked for it all to be put into an email for him. What this will do I don't know as the sour taste is already there.

Won't be going back to our local Mercedes especially when we order our new cars soon :mad:

Soldato
That's some shocking service. Out of interest, which franchise was it? I've only dealt with Sytner at MK and Bedford who've been excellent, but heard less encouraging things about Jardines.

It's Lookers in Stourbridge. Absolutely shocking service tbh. Can't really give a positive anywhere :(

On a plus side. Myself and the GF are heading to Sinclair Mercedes in Cardiff on Sunday to test drive 2 cars and hopefully put an order in :cool:

Caporegime
It's Lookers in Stourbridge. Absolutely shocking service tbh. Can't really give a positive anywhere :(

On a plus side. Myself and the GF are heading to Sinclair Mercedes in Cardiff on Sunday to test drive 2 cars and hopefully put an order in :cool:
Write to Lookers and tell them their shoddy and poor service has cost them to new car sales.

Soldato
So with the decision of ordering a new car the GF didn't really know what she wanted. Currently has the GLA35 AMG. Loves the high up driving positing and the nimbleness of the car. Also has enough space for us as we've no young kids.

So whilst the AMG was being repaired the GF was given the EQC as a courtesy car. This car lasted 2 hours before it went back in exchange for the GLC (non coupe).
The feel of the electric was not for her. Her words were. If I wanted an electric car id of been a milkman (the younger kids won't get that :) ) . Obviously a very beautiful car just not electric. She's not a fan.

GLC Coupe was the car initially that she was thinking of. Loves the look of them, amazing interior but the weight. Coming from a GLA AMG she said the added weight could be felt when cornering and manoeuvring the car. Also when inside it felt huge. Now this is something as she sold her Range Rover Velar for the AMG.

So now I think she's set on keeping with the GLA but upgrading to the GLA45s. Test driving one tomorrow down in Cardiff to get a feel for it. We're then heading further along to Bridgend so I can test drive the A45s. I already know I want one and go back 25 years to my youth and boy racer days.

All being well, orders will be placed and then built ready for the summer.

Last edited:
Associate
Just want some second opinions on if I got ripped off by my regular indy garage for servicing?

30k mile service, (I think it was an B), changed the front and rear brake pads, total £850!!!!

Soldato
Just back from Mercedes in Cardiff.

What service and friendly custom they provided.
Firstly test drove the GLA 45s. How different this felt to the GLA 35 is night and day. So solid and planted on the road. Lovely 30 minute test drive.
Took it across some A and B roads and then down the motorway for a good blast upto 70 obviously.

AaP9NRJ.jpg
iJABBNd.jpg

Then we travelled down to their sister site down in Bridgend to test drive the A45s.
This was a different beast altogether. So ferocious and a go-kart feeling. Even with 5 in the car this thing just wanted to pull and pull all day long.

PJ7FAUx.jpg
g5OytEE.jpg

So back to the showroom in Cardiff and cars ordered. Both in Cosmos black. Black leather interior as really don't like the yellow piping. Aiming for build and delivery around June time. Cannot wait :cool:

Last edited:
Man of Honour
New C63 already down to £80k for a couple of listings on Autotrader, more commonly around £85-87k. That's a crazy drop given they were on there for £100k+ just a month or so ago, and £115k new.

Back
Top Bottom