*** Microsoft Windows 11 Thoughts & Discussion Thread ***

Permabanned
OP
It's so nice to have consistency in an OS, there are now three settings apps, it it just wonderful to not know where anything is.

To be fair we could have stayed on windows 10 for all I cared I used LTSC and instead of win 12 coming out they could have improved 10. I wish they would have but instead they start to wind down support slowly. I moved to 12 as soon as I knew this was happening.

I have to keep up it’s my job.

Mobster
Soldato
To be fair we could have stayed on windows 10 for all I cared I used LTSC and instead of win 12 coming out they could have improved 10. I wish they would have but instead they start to wind down support slowly. I moved to 12 as soon as I knew this was happening.

I have to keep up it’s my job.

How on Earth are they going to support all of these OSs. Is it just less support for each one now?

Permabanned
OP
How on Earth are they going to support all of these OSs. Is it just less support for each one now?

Them are the ones who fetched a new OS out. It’s about keeping the money train rolling in and what perfect way to do it.

Release a new OS, bream it and pretend to fix stuff over the years until it expires and they release a new one.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I must admit on my laptop for work its running Windows 11 and if I hold a folder open and minimised it will randomly pop up on screen when I am doing other things.

This has always happened since it was updated from Windows 10 to 11.

No external HDDs connected or USB sticks etc, so annoying when typing or reading something.

It just appears, its happened when I have not even been at the laptop. I can be away from my desk having lunch then suddenly it appears! lol

Just realised some of our [new] systems at work are doing this - I'd noticed Explorer was often up for no apparent reason but assumed a colleague had mashed something/clicked on wrong thing while trying to do something else - some of the staff aren't exactly very IT savvy and/or a bit careless. But tonight realised it is this bug. I'm assuming these systems due to being work ones are a bit behind for some fixes and/or this bug might be down to the builds deployed in a business context.

Last edited:
Soldato
Just realised some of our [new] systems at work are doing this - I'd noticed Explorer was often up for no apparent reason but assumed a colleague had mashed something/clicked on wrong thing while trying to do something else - some of the staff aren't exactly very IT savvy and/or a bit careless. But tonight realised it is this bug. I'm assuming these systems due to being work ones are a bit behind for some fixes and/or this bug might be down to the builds deployed in a business context.
Yeah, Mine was upgraded to W11 from Windows 10 and was not a clean install.

The windows updates on it are controlled by our IT so when I am at work next I will see if I can install the update (download it manually and run it, if possible).

Its very annoying as I always have folders open and minimised as its got documents\downloads folder etc I need for work to refer too (parts lists etc) so when this happens when typing an e mail or on a remote session it can be a right pain lol.

Man of Honour
Microsoft thought the design of their applications was confusing. So after trying three different design languages.

They've now introduced a fourth.

On a related note - I'm trying to get my head around the Windows Task Scheduler 2.0 API in C++ currently - it is like whoever/whomever designed it was extremely high at the time and had been dropped on their head repeatedly as a baby... it is no wonder Windows is such a mess.

I would just call out to schtasks as that provides a simple interface from the command line but then you run into account privileges issues if trying to do it programmatically which require another mess to overcome... (EDIT: Actually overcame that with ShellExecute... but still).

The amusing thing is the documentation (which is extremely poor) for the 2.0 implementation kind of tries to deflect you to the 1.0 version, but the 1.0 version has dire hints that it might not be supported in subsequent versions of the operating system and tries to push you to the 2.0 version...

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm trying to get my head around the Windows Task Scheduler 2.0 API in C++ currently
Tell me about it, i know nothing about C++ but I've spent the last week trying to deal with Task Scheduler through powershell/.net and it's a right PITA.

In the end i gave up trying to use XPaths, privileges, sessions, and the majority of functions and ended up just using the most basic - start this when this happens and pass what i want done to a better solution.

Man of Honour
Tell me about it, i know nothing about C++ but I've spent the last week trying to deal with Task Scheduler through powershell/.net and it's a right PITA.

In the end i gave up trying to use XPaths, privileges, sessions, and the majority of functions and ended up just using the most basic - start this when this happens and pass what i want done to a better solution.

Pretty much ended up doing the same thing - gave up trying to do anything useful with it and just used it to start something else which does the actual job.

Mobster
Soldato
I feel like this is something that macOS does far better and Windows should just do that.

I have no idea why in Windows it is so hard to make something start at boot, on a Mac you just add it to a list and the OS runs the program, Windows seems to have about 8 ways to do it but if as an end user want to do it you have to do something complicated.

Man of Honour
Had a bit of excitement (narrator: bemusement) with the Photos app recently. MS decided that the default Photos app wasn't good enough, so they released a new Photos app which updated via the store and replaced the default one. I guess they had a bunch of complaints as then they released Photos Legacy which also needs to be installed from the Store. You can't seem to run Photos Legacy without having the new Photos installed too as they share certain things.

So now had to go through and set the default image viewer as Photos Legacy because they moved buttons on the new Photos app around, like the full screen button is on the lower right of the app, instead of being at the top by the toolbar where it always should be. Also viewing a photo full screen and zooming with the mousewheel sometimes stops working, also skipping between images in a folder full of images when in fullscreen view sometimes breaks too in the new app.

Photos Legacy just worked and I'm unsure why they felt the need to "update" it lol.

HTtbdHr.png

Last edited:
Don
Photos Legacy just worked and I'm unsure why they felt the need to "update" it lol.
The original "Windows Photo Viewer" from XP and 7 just worked - I'm still unsure* why they felt the need to replace that :D
(Fortunately you can restore it with a Reg tweak, and not have to deal with the bloat of a Modern App)

* Well it's likely it was because they moved to "Metro style" Modern Apps with Windows 8 and everything needed to be remade in the crap framework that introduced. I'd imagine the move to a new Photos app again is tied to changing UI framework, to the Windows 10+ version of UWP

Last edited:
Man of Honour
The old Photos app for Windows 11 was not the same as found on 7/XP lol. What I'm saying is the Windows 11 Photos app that existed all this time until now when they decided to create a new photos app was working perfectly, the new one has bugs noted above

Don
The old Photos app for Windows 11 was not the same as found on 7/XP lol. What I'm saying is the Windows 11 Photos app that existed all this time until now when they decided to create a new photos app was working perfectly, the new one has bugs noted above
I know that, but I don't know why they needed to replace the 7/XP version in the first place, let alone another replacement :)

Man of Honour
Ah yes I agree, although the actual legacy Photos app was quite an eyesore as it didn't have a native dark theme so when viewing dark images, it really grated on the eyes etc.

I've set the new Legacy app as default now and all is well, but the new non Legacy app remains installed for those reasons.

Soldato
Ah yes I agree, although the actual legacy Photos app was quite an eyesore as it didn't have a native dark theme so when viewing dark images, it really grated on the eyes etc.

I've set the new Legacy app as default now and all is well, but the new non Legacy app remains installed for those reasons.
I still use Windows Photo Viewer on Windows 10. I don't like the new Photos app, it seems unnecessarily bloated and it also seems to take a little longer to load. Sod all that just to quickly view an image. :D

Back
Top Bottom