*** Microsoft Windows 11 Thoughts & Discussion Thread ***

Man of Honour
All went fairly seamlessly, only thing it did was delete a load of his desktop shortcuts and I never took a screen shot of these.

Also messes up the Start Menu, especially if you've got a somewhat well organised Start Menu in 10 - probably another reason a lot of people aren't moving over.

The Start Menu in 11 is an absolute joke and if they weren't such a clown show of developers they'd be putting everything behind turning it into something decent as a priority :s

Soldato
Also messes up the Start Menu, especially if you've got a somewhat well organised Start Menu in 10 - probably another reason a lot of people aren't moving over.

The Start Menu in 11 is an absolute joke and if they weren't such a clown show of developers they'd be putting everything behind turning it into something decent as a priority :s
Can only agree to that.

My son doesn't tend to use it but has all the icons on his desktop, he was not a fan of the start menu either etc so have installed explorer patcher on there as well.

Apart from that everything else "seems" to be ok, Oh and disabled the snipping tool crap as he uses Greenshot.

Man of Honour
Oh and disabled the snipping tool crap as he uses Greenshot.

Yeah back to good old print screen for me - fortunately a change you can simply revert with one click but again not the greatest approach to simply change a feature like that by default, though I can see the new functionality being useful for a lot of people.

Soldato
Yeah back to good old print screen for me - fortunately a change you can simply revert with one click but again not the greatest approach to simply change a feature like that by default, though I can see the new functionality being useful for a lot of people.
Yeah, if its a new thing and that's all you have used then its fine.

I had to disable the "use print screen key to open screen capture" under accessibility > keyboard then re bind print screen to greenshot which currently seems to have worked (until I am told otherwise) lol

As looking on the PC I could not find the snipping tool software installed either

Last edited:
Man of Honour
The recent features update visually revamped File Explorer it seems, noticed the toolbar areas have a more refined mica/layered look to them, more modern than before. The focused/unfocused effect on transparent mica/colouring based on the desktop wallpaper is also more pronounced:

ki29WeK.png

Soldato
I like the idea of Explorer Patcher a lot.

The only thing I am concerned about is it "borking" Windows/File Explorer after a Windows Update (which I hear reports about, from time to time).

Here are two handy hints I have learned that might be a solution in that case.

i.e., after a Windows Update, if it borks / "goes wrong", and you only get black screen, the following can be a solution:

Solution 1:

Press Ctrl+Shift+Esc. This opens Task Manager.
From here, you can select File > "Run New Task".
Type "explorer". This opens File Explorer, and from there, you can do things!

Solution 2 (if Solution 1 does not work):

Press Ctrl+Shift+Esc. This opens Task Manager.
From here, you can select File > "Run New Task".
Type "control". This opens the Control Panel.
From there, you can uninstall Explorer Patcher, which should resolve the problem.
After that, you can download a new (hopefully updated) version of Explorer Patcher, and re-install that.
I've never had this on my desktop PC but I have had it a few times on my work laptop.

each time I have had to go in to safe mode and uninstall it that way so I now stop updating it.

Soldato
Well I think we all knew this was going to happen, but it was just a question of when:
Windows 11 24H2 to enforce hardware requirement - gHacks Tech News

It sounds like this all hinges on whether or not your CPU supports SSE4.2 or SSE4a.
I see they are axing Windows 11 23H2 the same time as Windows 10
Windows 11 version 23H2 continues to be supported until 2025. This is the year that Windows 10 is also going to get hammered, as Microsoft is ending support for the operating system officially. Windows 10 users may extend support by up to three years, but this comes at a price. Microsoft has not yet mentioned how much it will charge for extended support. Back when it introduced extended security updates for Windows 7, it charged $25, $50 and $100 in year one, two and three respectively.

Soldato
Just updated Windows 11 today and now my logitech g502 x plus and pro x both wireless don't work at all, can put in a wired keyboard and mouse and it's fine, tryed both mouse and keyboard with wires connected but still nothing.

Soldato
I use a Logitech G915 keyboard with the supplied Dongle and have no issues.

I use it on my laptop via Bluetooth and also works fine

Back
Top Bottom