*** Microsoft Windows 11 Thoughts & Discussion Thread ***

Soldato
The last updates took 30+ minuets, had me thinking it was dead. Had no %, just said updating for 15+ minutes and then at 0% for another 10 mins. I almost forced a restart.

Soldato

If Microsoft read the comments, they might discover why most people aren't rushing to "upgrade" to Windows 11 aka Vista v2.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Same about 3 minutes for me, but sadly not unusual for Windows updates to take silly amounts of time, to be fair I've seen that less with 11 than 10.

Man of Honour
If Microsoft read the comments, they might discover why most people aren't rushing to "upgrade" to Windows 11 aka Vista v2.

I notice they only engage with the comments which say what they want people to say, possibly I'd go as far even as to say some of those comments aren't genuine given how they use certain keywords which are obviously the notes the video wants to hit.

I don't think anyone thinks the Windows 11 Start Menu is a game changer LOL, well aside from a game changer in how poor it is :s

Soldato
I'm happy enough on Windows 11, same as I was on Windows 10, when I'm on my PC I'm either in a web browser or in a game, at which point the start menu, I could care less...

Soldato
HDD/SSD? It took like 3 mins for me
WD Black SN850X Nvme.
Probably slow because I have work stuff installed, Hyper-V, Visual Studio… For a moment I though it was something nasty encrypting my drives. Backed everything up as soon as it booted back up!

Last edited:
Soldato
Keep trying to get used to windows 11, got it on my laptop and my mini pc but it still feels like a downgrade every time I use it....
Things like the start menu needing a registry tweak to get rid of recommended section even when it's turned off or to get back 'basic functionality' of windows 10... it doesn't even work properly if you disable recommended section in group policies.
File explorer has lost functionality when you select a group of files.... that bit of text telling me to select 1 item if I want to share is pointless, just show me what I get in windows 10.

Sadly I haven't found a patch for the explorer issue. start menu has software/patches out there to fix stuff.

I know it's normal these days with MS but windows 11 seriously feels like they're focusing more about pushing their products and trying to turn windows into what feels like a budget version of os-x/chrome os where you have limited choices etc.

I'm fully expecting windows 12 to come out with one of two approaches, dumbed/locked down even further or they give us back some of what we lost, my money is on the first option sadly.

Don
Keep trying to get used to windows 11, got it on my laptop and my mini pc but it still feels like a downgrade every time I use it....
Things like the start menu needing a registry tweak to get rid of recommended section even when it's turned off or to get back 'basic functionality' of windows 10... it doesn't even work properly if you disable recommended section in group policies.
File explorer has lost functionality when you select a group of files.... that bit of text telling me to select 1 item if I want to share is pointless, just show me what I get in windows 10.

Sadly I haven't found a patch for the explorer issue. start menu has software/patches out there to fix stuff.
Does everything you need.

Soldato
Does everything you need.
It doesn't look like it fixes the issue with explorer and the details pane.... I don't need it moving to the bottom which is what that seems to do, I want it to show the information like it does in windows 10, ie be useful when more than one item is selected. Example: in windows 10, I can select 10 mkv files, they show total time, length/width, codecs/subtitle info, total file size etc, windows 11 basically tells me to select 1 file (yes I know total size is on the bottom) so I can share etc. If it can do this then great but it doesn't look like it sadly.

The rest looks like the same as you can do with explorer patcher.

Don
but it doesn't change the info being displayed on the pane, at least when I tried it with explorer patcher (which is doing basically the same as startallback/start 11)

Ah I see what you mean, I've just tried the details pane (literally never used it before) on 10, and see that it isn't there on 11 regardless of options in StartAllBack.

This looks like it might do what you want though?

Some discussion (and other solutions that previously worked) here: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...e/99479aa6-0268-4fc9-bd48-fa10acc28f41?page=7

Last edited:
Soldato
Any ideas what I've done here with MS Edge browser, and YouTube default view....

Alien-I-Admire-Its-Purity-HD-You-Tube.png

goodness knows what I've done to separate the tool type bar from the bottom of the video, and the spacing on the right. Checked with chrome, that seems fine.

Any ideas..?

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom