Mid-Terraced house EV charging options

Soldato
In
If outside every terraced house was one of these, imagine how bad of a situation it is for anything using wheels or people running. The odd one or two, you can deal with, but it is a slipper slope to ruining pavements. Worse when it is dark.

ev-cablecover2-grande.png

Imagine a wheelchair user or someone who needs to use another type of mobility aid such as a walker or sticks trying to make their way along a street full of those. It would be like an assault course.

Soldato
You apply to the council to dig a trench from your border, to your garage / parking space if it is across public /council land.
You contact an electrician, discuss plans for cable routing, supply, charger and get a quote.
You do this with other electricians / installers and pick a quote you're happy with.
You get it done and pay for it when it's done!
Grants may be available!

Soldato
In

Imagine a wheelchair user or someone who needs to use another type of mobility aid such as a walker or sticks trying to make their way along a street full of those. It would be like an assault course.
At the point this starts to get silly one would hope there is legislation / grants / requirements to have a cable properly installed underground.

Soldato
You apply to the council to dig a trench from your border, to your garage / parking space if it is across public /council land.
You contact an electrician, discuss plans for cable routing, supply, charger and get a quote.
You do this with other electricians / installers and pick a quote you're happy with.
You get it done and pay for it when it's done!
Grants may be available!
Or he could just buy a petrol and spend 5 minutes sticking 20 quid of fuel in the tank every so often. :p

Soldato
At the point this starts to get silly one would hope there is legislation / grants / requirements to have a cable properly installed underground.

Or people can just use charge points. Not as cheap, but who no one has a right to cheap motoring paid for by taxes or at the detriment of others.

Last edited:
Soldato
The really annoying thing was, the next street over from me had all of their block paving pavement lifted and relayed. Obviously a lot of these terrace houses dump their storm water onto the road via ducts in the pavement. Such a massive missed opportunity to just lay a few for EV charging cables.

Soldato
Or people can just use charge points. Not as cheap, but who no one has a right to cheap motoring paid for by taxes or at the detriment of others.
I think people will demand a right to use their own electric if they so choose

Soldato
I think people will demand a right to use their own electric if they so choose

Sure, just buy a house where you can accommodate that.

I can demand lots of things. But I should pay for it.

This isn't healthcare or education.

Last edited:
Soldato
A picture from another thread today. Good luck charging at home here...

Soldato
Sure, just buy a house where you can accommodate that.

I can demand lots of things. But I should pay for it.

This isn't healthcare or education.
We have the tools and technology to service an electric point where ever you park your damn car, we just need people to make the devices to make it workable.. There is electric nearly EVERYWHERE. You SHOULD be able to have a device that syncs to your supplier whether connected to your house or not IMO. A smart meter that talks to your house over wifi for eg, it can't be hard to make in reality.

Soldato
We have the tools and technology to service an electric point where ever you park your damn car, we just need people to make the devices to make it workable.. There is electric nearly EVERYWHERE. You SHOULD be able to have a device that syncs to your supplier whether connected to your house or not IMO. A smart meter that talks to your house over wifi for eg, it can't be hard to make in reality.

Let's up your tax rate to pay for it then.

But might want to pay for nurses first with those taxes. Kind of seems more important.

edit: Even simple charge points require expensive maintenance.

Last edited:
Soldato
Imo if you don't have offroad charging capability you shouldn't buy an ev. I know its an unpopular opinion, but some of these things are quite bad trip hazards (and I'm normally lax with H and S stuff).

Soldato
Imo if you don't have offroad charging capability you shouldn't buy an ev. I know its an unpopular opinion, but some of these things are quite bad trip hazards (and I'm normally lax with H and S stuff).
People will have to eventually though, unless they want to run increasingly aging cars.

Soldato
Let's up your tax rate to pay for it then.

But might want to pay for nurses first with those taxes. Kind of seems more important.
We can do both at the same time, if you stop the ***** in charge pocketing most of it
You should be prepared to pay the installation of a proper cable and charge point if you do have on street parking IMO.
These things are available and you can get permits and designated parking spots..
Would certainly cure on street parking squabbles if every house had a specific parking spot (or two)

Soldato
In

Something like this would be better but not cheap.

Soldato
Thanks, that 'ChargeArm' concept seems to be the most practical 'in place' solution, although it would look a bit weird and I'm sure someone would complain about it. Wonder how much it costs?

Possibly a stupid question but if you only run the cable when charging, how does it it stay in place, is it just the weight that holds it in place and then you take it back onto your land when you've finished? Is it simple to do without having it ruck up and stuff? I can see in some ways this makes more sense than a fixed cable overlay because it gives you a bit more flexibility about where exactly you park.
There's something that doesn't quite sit right with me about running cables across the pavement though, might be a case of waiting to see if anyone else in the local area does similar first.

Not a stupid question at all :) It stays in place with the weight of the cable protector. I also have plenty of cable length, so it is not stretched.

If outside every terraced house was one of these, imagine how bad of a situation it is for anything using wheels or people running. The odd one or two, you can deal with, but it is a slipper slope to ruining pavements. Worse when it is dark.

ev-cablecover2-grande.png
This cable protector looks just like the one I have

Soldato
I’m not sure why no one has mentioned this yet but will obviously need council permission:

It’s basically just a posh rain water gully from days past.

As for the back, find out who owns the courtyard (it may well be partly owed by you). Get permission to lay a cable, bring ground workers to put in a duct and make good the paving, bring the sparks in to pull in a cable and fit the charge point.

Pro tip: while canvassing the neighbours, convince them to get a duct out in for their garage at the same time, it will cut costs per household.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom