Monzo/Starling Banking/Revolut

Soldato
Go on to the Space, click Manage Space, then click the "Bills paid from this Space" button. You'll get the checklist of DDs you'd be paying out, and an estimated total shows up as an overlay. This is what I see on iOS, it should be pretty similar on Android, I imagine.

I haven't set up spaces for bills yet that's prob why I couldn't see it. Handy though thanks

Soldato
Just thought i'd drop a review of the phone insurance from Monzo Premium as i've had to use it after spectacularly destroying my phone last weekend.

Raised a claim which was approved straight away, paid the £75 excess.

They require you to send the phone to them yourself rather than arranging a collection and can take up to three working days to repair or send a replacement phone.

Phone was sent off today so will report back with how long it takes.

Compared to the Natwest phone insurance I had to use a few years ago it is a bit more of a pain, as for that they collected your phone the next working day and the DPD courier actually came with a refurbished phone.

Man of Honour
Just thought i'd drop a review of the phone insurance from Monzo Premium as i've had to use it after spectacularly destroying my phone last weekend.

Raised a claim which was approved straight away, paid the £75 excess.

They require you to send the phone to them yourself rather than arranging a collection and can take up to three working days to repair or send a replacement phone.

Phone was sent off today so will report back with how long it takes.

Compared to the Natwest phone insurance I had to use a few years ago it is a bit more of a pain, as for that they collected your phone the next working day and the DPD courier actually came with a refurbished phone.
I used Monzo around a year ago for the phone insurance, I got a repaired phone back around a week after I sent mine in. Hardly convenient but they did repair it.

Man of Honour
Does anyone use Chip? I'm curious why they want full access to Monzo to withdraw money from their 90 day account. Ie, the ability to read all transaction data.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Does anyone use Chip? I'm curious why they want full access to Monzo to withdraw money from their 90 day account. Ie, the ability to read all transaction data.
It'll be because it's the same linked account setup that it uses if you use their autosave function which needs to know your balance and what's going in/out to calculate the amount to save

Man of Honour
It'll be because it's the same linked account setup that it uses if you use their autosave function which needs to know your balance and what's going in/out to calculate the amount to save
What if the intent is to withdraw only, and there is no interest (no pun intended) to autosave?

Seems extremely invasive to me just to be able to withdraw money.

Last edited:
Soldato
Anyone used Atom? Not a current account, but savings and mortgage products.

Offering 6.05% on 1yr fixed savers at the mo, was going to put a bit in there.

Soldato
Update on Monzo phone insurance:

Phone has been repaired and delivered back today, nice and fast, however have notifications saying the screen installed cannot be determined if it is a genuine Apple part. Will be phoning them on Monday!

According to Apple this can lead to a few issues, anyone know if i'd have a leg to stand on insisting that they use genuine Apple parts? I now have a badge notification over settings which will not go away due to this.

Last edited:
Soldato
Update on Monzo phone insurance:

Phone has been repaired and delivered back today, nice and fast, however have notifications saying the screen installed cannot be determined if it is a genuine Apple part. Will be phoning them on Monday!

According to Apple this can lead to a few issues, anyone know if i'd have a leg to stand on insisting that they use genuine Apple parts? I now have a badge notification over settings which will not go away due to this.

You will get that message if you take out a good screen from one iPhone, to use it in another.

Where was it fixed by who?

Soldato
You will get that message if you take out a good screen from one iPhone, to use it in another.

Where was it fixed by who?

Fixed by Assurant Insurance!

There's more, placed the iPhone on a wireless charger and the screen freaked out, started opening and closing random apps and turning the flashlight on and off :cry:

Called and told them this and they're going to send a new phone out and swap with this one like my old Natwest insurance.

Soldato
My wife is currently celebrating. I've always had 3 payment cards. The Amex, a Santander debit card and a barclaycard credit card mainly for holiday spend/backup.

Given Amex can't be used abroad i've suggested we just scrap that as of now. That means she can just use the Barclaycard for everything as it's what we'll use in Spain so she no longer has any confusion about what to pay with.

Soldato
Not a modern fintech, but First Direct has now dropped all fees for foreign spending and cash withdrawals for current account holders spending via its debit card. Transforming it from a one of the worst travel cards around to one of the best.

Sure some other things are cheaper still Chase with the 1% chashback or barclaycard rewards 0.25%, or Plutus with curve 3% plus insurance etc.., but some like the warm and cozy feeling they get from banking with a well known UK brand (even if it really is just HSBC under the hood).

One thing that surprised me, was learning the FD only has 1.5m customers. Considering it has been handing out £175 bribes left right and centre for years now, that's a pitiful amount. Chase reached that in little over a year.
I only moved to First Direct for the £175.
Starling is my main account, as soon as my pay hits the First Direct account it's then transferred to Starling.
I need to swap it again to someone else offering some money.

Back
Top Bottom