Mortgage Rate Rises

Soldato
Yeah. Maybe by 0.25. Doubt they would go down much more unless the US does first. At least from my crude understanding of things.
Doubt much more, but August looks likely for BoE now. As bailey said in the press conference after “There’s no law that the Fed must move first,”.

Difference is US inflation has been ticking higher, UK is cratering and set to continue in the months ahead. The biggest reason to not cut too much would be currency related.

Reactions: TNA
Soldato
I agree with their decision actually.

We've had the blunt trauma, things are actually slowly starting to stabilise, at least in the mortgage world as per thread subject.

We are actually really busy at the moment with mortgage applications, busiest it's been for a while, maybe 18 months.

The rates now are not particularly high, just felt high against nothing and the pain of the sharp increase.

The wider economy issues don't help, but it's far from all being a direct result of interest rates.

Reactions: TNA
Associate
I really don't see where people keep thinking the rates are coming down. This rate is normal, maybe even a bit low when compared to pre 2008 rates.

People are still buying things, house prices are going up in some places and everywhere I go for take away is pretty busy. People still have money and are spending it and those businesses that aren't running on credit, that would go bankrupt anyway, are doing pretty well.

Some people may be struggling, and I feel bad for those that are, but unless everyone is out paying for things on a credit card then I dare say I'm not seeing this myself.

Soldato
I really don't see where people keep thinking the rates are coming down. This rate is normal, maybe even a bit low when compared to pre 2008 rates.

People are still buying things, house prices are going up in some places and everywhere I go for take away is pretty busy. People still have money and are spending it and those businesses that aren't running on credit, that would go bankrupt anyway, are doing pretty well.

Some people may be struggling, and I feel bad for those that are, but unless everyone is out paying for things on a credit card then I dare say I'm not seeing this myself.

Don't let people having a takeaway or two fool you. The UK standards of living has declined drastically over the last few years and interest rates (mortgage and rent) have and will continue to contribute towards

Soldato
I think it's more down to easy/cheap credit...

before interest rates was low, people would prefer to spend than save.. a lot of people including the government was living their lifestyle on credit.
now that interest rates are high, it's much more costly to "maintain" their lifestyle. 0% purchase/balance transfer cards have short periods and lower credit limits... there's lot less cash floating around.

In my hillbilly village, it's quite common to see people posting about free items then a week or two later ask if anyone is free to do their hair or nails... I'm not hard up, but I still cut my own hair and nails! Best thing about lockdown was that it stopped me having £40 pounds haircuts and the £65 trimmer that I got is still going strong.

Soldato
Would be quite reckless to cut rates before the US. It will immediately put a strong downwards pressure on the GBP. We're a net importer which means higher inflation.

Soldato

It's not just consumers being impacted though.

Business borrowing also costs more - discouraging investment. The business environment is different now to what it was in 2008 - a lack of cheaper labour willing to do typically undesirable jobs means large investments need to be made in automation.

Government debt is also costing more at higher interest rates.

I think the only reason the rate isn't dropping quicker is to maintain the GBP/USD exchange rate - and therefore the cost of energy and other stuff priced in dollars.

Associate

before interest rates was low, people would prefer to spend than save.. a lot of people including the government was living their lifestyle on credit.
now that interest rates are high, it's much more costly to "maintain" their lifestyle. 0% purchase/balance transfer cards have short periods and lower credit limits... there's lot less cash floating around.

In my hillbilly village, it's quite common to see people posting about free items then a week or two later ask if anyone is free to do their hair or nails... I'm not hard up, but I still cut my own hair and nails! Best thing about lockdown was that it stopped me having £40 pounds haircuts and the £65 trimmer that I got is still going strong.

£40 haircuts it cost me £12 today, think you need to shop around lol

Caporegime

I also cut my own now.
Had an interview in lockdown and had to buy some clippers.

Seemed a waste not to carry on

Back
Top Bottom