Motorola Moto G - new budget smartphone champion?

Associate
Phones4u selling it starting Friday at £ 120 plus £ 10 for pay as you go top up! A better deal than O2 who will sell it payg for £ 130 starting in two weeks on 28 November.

And the G will also be sold by Orange, T-Mobile, Tesco Mobile, and UnlockedMobiles.

Associate
Where did you buy it from and how much was it?

I live in Canada :). Even we're getting screwed a bit though compared to the US as only one carrier has it and just in black and white 16gb. They're $500ish though now so a reasonable price. I was going to get a Nexus 5 but couldn't wait any longer to get a new phone, I don't feel like a made a bad decision, it's not too big, super fast, has useful features and will be getting 4.4 soon.

Associate
Get one of these to use at work & nights out i think just the 8GB version and stick in a giffgaff sim on a £10 goodybag, just install the apps i use the most.

Soldato
Thinking this could be the perfect replacement for my desire s, hopefully tescos will soon sell it sim free and enable club card boost on it :D

Soldato
I live in Canada :). Even we're getting screwed a bit though compared to the US as only one carrier has it and just in black and white 16gb. They're $500ish though now so a reasonable price. I was going to get a Nexus 5 but couldn't wait any longer to get a new phone, I don't feel like a made a bad decision, it's not too big, super fast, has useful features and will be getting 4.4 soon.

Cool. I think you made a good decision. Love the look of the Moto X. Might have to settle for the G but at £130 I'm not complaining.

Associate
Pity this doesn't have LTE support or I would have snapped it up. The display looks far superior to my HTC ONE SV and the dual core Krait with Adreno 305 isn't too bad but the Moto's MSM8226 A7 quad does looks to be better even though it also uses the Adreno 305.

Pity as I have a work colleague who would snap up my SV for £100 as well.

Associate
At this price point it blows the competition out of the water. I suffered with a cheap Android phone for a while (Samsung Galaxy Ace II x) and it was utterly awful, mainly due to Samsung's "improvements". With stock Android, this phone should hopefully perform very well and give Android a better reputation in the low range.

Associate
The Phones4U is a SIM free (contract free) price of £ 120 plus £ 10 to pay them for using it on a pay as you go basis. Hence it is unlocked.

They know you would buy the data package from someone else and are trying to get you to stick with them once your £ 10 payg deal runs out. You are free to leave them and buy your phone/data package elsewhere.

Associate
Cool. I think you made a good decision. Love the look of the Moto X. Might have to settle for the G but at £130 I'm not complaining.

I see in the BBC article (link posted earlier above) that Motorola plans to bring the Moto X to Europe sometime in 2014. Typically of Moto this could be 6 to 12 months too late - as they did with the Razr HD?

I'll await reviews with interest...

Back
Top Bottom