Motorsport Off Topic Thread

Soldato
McLaren's 50 Greatest Drivers

Over the Years they have shown incredible bravery, amazing talent, unbridled enthusiasm and huge dedication to the cause. They are the men who have driven a McLaren racing car. Over the next year we will be counting down the 50 who have had the greatest impact on the McLaren cause.

Esteemed motorsport journalist ALAN HENRY has compiled the list and each week will reflect on one of our past drivers, giving his personal account of their contribution to the team.

We put some rules in place. Since this is about the greatest drivers in McLaren's history, there are no active drivers on the list, so no Lewis Hamilton, Jenson Button or Fernando Alonso for example. It’s not just F1 either, as McLaren cars have graced many series over the years. Also, the drivers are ranked on their contribution to McLaren only - not their overall career - so be prepared for a few surprises in the coming weeks and months! Enjoy, and let us know your thoughts as we spend a year in the company of many of racing history’s most awesome talents.

Not sure if its already been mentioned so sorry if it has but very interesting. So far the list is up to no.13. Interesting to see who makes the top 10 apart from the obvious.

http://www.mclaren.com/page/mclarens-50-greatest-drivers-8

Caporegime
Button and Head and Shoulders?

They all do it. It's just that this time it's Hamilton and Pitpass.

Exactly. Dodgy advertising and PR stuff is just a normal part of being an F1 driver.

Its just people do love to jump at an opportunity to slate Mr Hamilton. With him not doing anything on track for them to shout about, they had to go search elsewhere.

The pictures are god awful though!

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Expect a story from Pitpass questioning Hamilton's commitment to the sport and why he has entertainment management rather than sports management. ;)

And while I don't agree with what seems like a vendetta that Pitpass are engaging in against Hamilton....why does he have XIX managing him? And what are they exactly doing? They were conspicuous only by their absence for most of last season, and there seemed to be no-one around to save him from himself when the journos came looking for a story.

Soldato
Alonso's Fiat advert was pretty painful to watch - the dubbing just topped it off :)

Anyone remember Schumachers Fiat van soccer mom advert?

Button and Head and Shoulders?

This is worse...

Clearly these are both horrific but does Lewis really think this looks cool?

lewis-hamilton-03.jpg

At least with Jensen and Mark it would appear they know what they are doing is utter cringe. I'm honestly not sure if Lewis realises the same.

XIX appear to be managing "Lewis Hamilton the brand", rather than actually being a manager of the driver.

He is starting to look a little like the Katie Price of F1.

I've no ill-feeling towards LH, in fact I'm more concerned for him than anything else. If you think about it these lads aren't very old and all they've ever done is race - they don't really have that great a grasp of the real world. LH may run the risk of inadvertantly surrounding himself with yes men and female company that may or may not have an agenda of their own. He brand may well do very well but it would not surprise me that his career will suffer for it. It may need something significant to happen for him to get a wake up call - its not his fault per se, its the hype that surrounds him whether wanted or not.

Last edited:
Caporegime
He needs to move away from McLaren, into a far more relaxed easy going, and less PR focused environment where he can be himself.

Hurry up and retire Webber.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
3 and a half minutes in, and he's mentioned the word 'integrity' twice. Not bad for a man who has none.

Got an idea for you Pat - how about you order one of your drivers to crash in order to help the other one out? After all, you got bugger all punishment the last time you did that....

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Is Pat Symonds back?

He can't be an official, full-time member of a team until 2013, so he's acting as a 'consultant' to Marussia until then.

Not a bad piece of work is it - he orders a fragile, emotionally compromised driver to crash in order to help out the guy in the other car, knowing full well that the contract that his boss is promising the young man won't ever materialise, and instead of a lifetime ban, huge fine and whatnot, he's allowed back into the sport and is even paid damages!

FERRARI INTERNATIONAL ASSIS-....oh, wait a minute....;)

Caporegime
Its a joke isn't it.

I have noticed that Biatore's 'opinion' has started to pop up on F1 news sites now and again. Since when did he think his opinion was welcome, or even valid, any more?

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Its a joke isn't it.

It would have to be halfway amusing to rate being called a joke!

I have noticed that Biatore's 'opinion' has started to pop up on F1 news sites now and again. Since when did he think his opinion was welcome, or even valid, any more?

Ah, but why shouldn't he think like that? He's been vindicated. He was given a weak punishment by the FIA, and even that got overturned. Precedent has now been established, and teams should feel free to follow his example :rolleyes:

Caporegime
I can see we are in the same boat JRS when it comes to our views on Symonds and Briatore, but I would be interested to know your views on Alonsos involvement?

Back
Top Bottom