Mountain Biking

Soldato
I'm about to ask a stupid question and i hope you're easy on me :p

I've got a Trek Marlin 7 (Gen 2), which came with a Rockshox Judy Coil Spring Fork (although some sites suggest an air fork i don't think it is)

How exactly do i adjust the lockout? It looks like it should be hand turnable, but it doesn't turn. Do i need an allen key? Most of my riding is more cross country and as such if i'm riding uphill i definitely lose a lot of power bouncing through the front forks. I'm happy fitting a remote switch for it if it's cheap/easy enough.

Just can't seem to find anything as a guide. When i google "Rock Shox Judy Lockout" i just get people having issues.

Caporegime
I'm about to ask a stupid question and i hope you're easy on me :p

I've got a Trek Marlin 7 (Gen 2), which came with a Rockshox Judy Coil Spring Fork (although some sites suggest an air fork i don't think it is)

How exactly do i adjust the lockout? It looks like it should be hand turnable, but it doesn't turn. Do i need an allen key? Most of my riding is more cross country and as such if i'm riding uphill i definitely lose a lot of power bouncing through the front forks. I'm happy fitting a remote switch for it if it's cheap/easy enough.

Just can't seem to find anything as a guide. When i google "Rock Shox Judy Lockout" i just get people having issues.

If it has something that says lock out, has a handle on it and doesn't turn. It's probably broken.

The Allen key will be to remove the cap.

You'll know if it's air or not as the left hand side will have a removable cap to put air into.

Last edited:
Soldato
If it has something that says lock out, has a handle on it and doesn't turn. It's probably broken.

The Allen key will be to remove the cap.

You'll know if it's air or not as the left hand side will have a removable cap to put air into.

Ok cheers, must be a spring then as the left form just says Preload.

How much resistance should the handle have? I didn't try and force it when it didn't turn easy. Might head to the bike shop and see if they have any idea.

Caporegime
Ok cheers, must be a spring then as the left form just says Preload.

How much resistance should the handle have? I didn't try and force it when it didn't turn easy. Might head to the bike shop and see if they have any idea.

Pretty much none, its designed to be used on a mountain by anyone.

Assume the lever is the same as the one here.

Caporegime
Yeah, looks like that. I'll go have another play later and see if it was just something stupid i was doing.
You should be able to remove the cap, with the Allen key and see if something under its causing it to stick.

Rockshox have service guides on their website, which are normally pretty decent.

Soldato
Beginning to think I need a bit more travel than my Bird AM9 gives (170/150), too many days spent at Dyfi etc. Obvious option is a bird Aeris 9 (180/180) but figured would see if there are any more 'bike park' orientated bikes people recommend or should i just go for a downhill bike?

Soldato
Beginning to think I need a bit more travel than my Bird AM9 gives (170/150), too many days spent at Dyfi etc. Obvious option is a bird Aeris 9 (180/180) but figured would see if there are any more 'bike park' orientated bikes people recommend or should i just go for a downhill bike?

Have a mooch in and around your area? I’ve found absolutely loads within an hour or so of me. Once found, jump on Google, see if any bike forums talk about them, check out YouTube for some vids of people using the park and make a list of those you’ve not visited.

For me, it’s all of them..

Soldato
Seeking some advice please.
I'm looking to order two eMTB's - one for me and the other for my son.

The current options are:
  • Specalized Levo Comp Alloy : £5.5k - Motor : Brose 2.2
  • Canyon Spectral:On CF8 £5.5k - Motor : Shimano EP801)
Canyon have just reduced the price of the Spectral:On by about 10% so makes this the current lead option
Is there anything against the Spectral:On / Shimano EP8, which is worth considering to hold out for a potential price reduction on the Levo?

So a change of plan from the above

I really like the Canyon eBikes, but they charge extra for a bike box £19 and shipping is costly too, £70 per bike. I was going to order 3 bikes from them, which was coming to an additional cost of £267. Feels like booking a flight with Ryan Air, where all the basic stuff is added on extra at the checkout :rolleyes: How else can you buy a bike from Canyon?! - shipping is the only way ! The boxes and shipping should be included in the price, like every other bike maker does.

So I've ordered 2 eBikes and a hardtail for my son, to use for general riding to the park and with his friends. Got some great prices on the Trek bikes !

Trek Rail 9.7 : Bosch Performance CX Motor, 750Wh battery : £4.5k (RRP £6.3k) (For me)

53653286409_6df0eea3ea_c.jpg

Trek Rail 5 : Bosch Performance CX Motor, 625Wh battery : £3k, (RRP £5.1k) (For my son)

53652067297_2c9d0d39d4_c.jpg

Grand Canyon Young Hero : £700 (For my son)

53653286414_c2b589f374_c.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
I was going to say to have a look at the Focus Jam2 6.9. They are about £4.4k at the moment, sometimes less, sometimes more. Solid bike and a really solid spec.

I know youve already ordered but food for thought for those also looking.

I was very impressed with the one I saw today so figured I would drop the recommend.

Soldato
I was going to say to have a look at the Focus Jam2 6.9. They are about £4.4k at the moment, sometimes less, sometimes more. Solid bike and a really solid spec.

I know youve already ordered but food for thought for those also looking.

I was very impressed with the one I saw today so figured I would drop the recommend.
I looked at that before ordering - SigmaSport had it for £4k but only in small size (I’m large) and my son (small) didn’t like it. :p

Soldato
Just ordered one of these - https://rockguardz.com/product/rockguardz/status-2020-21/ to give my frame some protection at the bottom end from when I no doubt do something dumb. I've also ordered a bolt on mudguard for the front forks by Syncros. Just need to find a viable rear mudguard now and I'm all set for not getting completely loused up over the coming weeks on the trails.

Any recommendations for the rear mudguard?

Soldato
Just ordered one of these - https://rockguardz.com/product/rockguardz/status-2020-21/ to give my frame some protection at the bottom end from when I no doubt do something dumb. I've also ordered a bolt on mudguard for the front forks by Syncros. Just need to find a viable rear mudguard now and I'm all set for not getting completely loused up over the coming weeks on the trails.

That's a nice frame guard.

Not one I've done yet on my full sus, but have heard good things about Mudhugger.

Caporegime
I went with https://www.themudhugger.co.uk/collections/rear-mudhugger-mountain-bike-mudguards on mine.

they make your bike look ugly though.
The size you need depends on the angle of your seat stays
if you go that route

They come with really thick heli tape to protect the frame and velcro straps hold it, so you can take it on/off in about 20seconds

They hold in place really well, never needed to adjust mine, I had to trim the extension bit on my bike , easy enough with kitchen scissors

Last edited:
Soldato
That thing really isn’t a looker is it.. seems practical and something I know my dad would have been all over back in the 90s but I’m not sure I can bring myself to adding something as “significant” to my bike.
I went with https://www.themudhugger.co.uk/collections/rear-mudhugger-mountain-bike-mudguards on mine.

they make your bike look ugly though.
The size you need depends on the angle of your seat stays
if you go that route

They come with really thick heli tape to protect the frame and velcro straps hold it, so you can take it on/off in about 20seconds

They hold in place really well, never needed to adjust mine, I had to trim the extension bit on my bike , easy enough with kitchen scissors

Soldato
That's a nice frame guard.

Not one I've done yet on my full sus, but have heard good things about Mudhugger.
They look like they perform well but my god they aren’t winning any beauty awards are they :D

I don't use a rear mud guard myself, but apparently these are decent: https://www.rapidracerproducts.com/products/mudguards/proguard-rear.html

I used an RRP front mudguard on my YT Jeffsy for 4 years and it was great.

RRP have come up a few times and I think I could end up with the smallest version of both the front and the rear perhaps. It all depends on how this Syncros one both performs and looks when it arrives as I’m already on the fence with it. The joy of having few options I suppose.

Soldato
They look like they perform well but my god they aren’t winning any beauty awards are they :D

RRP have come up a few times and I think I could end up with the smallest version of both the front and the rear perhaps. It all depends on how this Syncros one both performs and looks when it arrives as I’m already on the fence with it. The joy of having few options I suppose.

The one above came right out of a horror house of bad design for sure :cry:

They do a smaller and cuttable one for the rear, which for me would give some protection to bearings and BB and at the same time not look so massive.

Soldato
If your able to keep the AM9 I'd go full DH. I have the Tues for the bike parks and Occam for 'rides'

Caporegime
That thing really isn’t a looker is it.. seems practical and something I know my dad would have been all over back in the 90s but I’m not sure I can bring myself to adding something as “significant” to my bike.
well if you plan to ride in the sloppy mud its the best thing and you don't see it.
as said comes on and off easy.
if you wanna go form over function on mudguards, then you would be better off sticking a spoiler on your bike and go faster stripes.

Personally I see the massive amounts of mud that stick to my tyres and get thrown off them and would rather keep it away from me and the bike

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom