• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

My Arctic Cooling Accelero Extreme 4870x2...

Soldato
Well, I finally own one.

I had to go to a German competitor unfortunately, but I needed it quickly as my stock fan keeps doing funny things (cutting out completely, or randomly dropping down to xx%).

Whilst I do some base testing of the old one to gather stock temperatures, here's a quick taster for you...

Teaser.jpg

Check back later this afternoon for more... much more...

Soldato
Hopefully you've got some "before" temperature charts (eg rivatuner etc) running the stock cooler to compare with your new temps with the Arctic :)

Soldato
OP
[timko];14395024 said:
Hopefully you've got some "before" temperature charts (eg rivatuner etc) running the stock cooler to compare with your new temps with the Arctic :)

I've just been taking those measurements.

Shutting down now to fit this beast. Oh, and it most certainly is a beast. ;)

See you soon...

Associate
Look forward to the results....i want one of these...shame you had to get it from Germany though, can anyone say when they will be available at OCUK?

Soldato
OP
Right I have literally just finished installing this.

Had a fairly major issue, but easily resolvable now I know how ;p

Before I upload my pics and start the proper write up, let me just say one thing...

OH MY DAYS!

Soldato
OP
The install...

First of all, I obviously had to get rid of the old heatsink/fan combo.

Here's my PowerColour 4870x2 sat in my case (Lian Li PC-A70B). That's right, I'm not a cable tidying freak. :p
1_Old.jpg

Again for comparison purposes, this is a photo demonstrating the clearance between the PowerColour's stock shroudy bits, and my soundcard.
2_Old_2.jpg

Here's the new stuff, all unpacked. I was quite surprised with the packaging, it's basically the cooler sat on top of the other bits, wrapped in a plastic shell.
Most minimalist/eco-friendly.
We've got here the cooler (obviously), 2 heatsinks, 2 likkle screws and an AC badgey (yay?), a buggerload of thermal pads of varying sizes, 1 6pin extension, and 1 6pin->8pin extension/convertor.
Due to the design of the heatsink it is near impossible (I've not actually tried it but it looks pretty tight) to get your standard PSU cables into the plugs, so AC are kind enough to provide pre-bent cables for you. :)
3_The_New.jpg

The contact side of the cooler in all it's metally glory. The blue bit you see is a protective plastic cover for the main plate as this will cover all of the RAM chips.
4_Rear_view.jpg

Here we have a lovely side shot of the cooler, showing off all the heatpipes and the mass of aluminium heatsink. You may notice that the main mounting plate is ever so slightly bent, but more on that later.
5_Side_View.jpg

Fans. Three of them.
7_Fans.jpg

Anyway, onto the destruction of the old heatsink. Simply unscrewing everything you can from the back of the card lets the main shroud/heatsink assembly fall away. This you can bin, or store safely in case of warranty issues.
You will need the two X brackets from the stock cooler as the Accelero Extreme uses these too.
8_Destruction.jpg

Next on the list is applying some of the thermal pads and attaching the smaller heatsinks. AC suggest you clean the tops of the PWM and other bits with a rubber, personally I just gave them a once over with a tissue then made sure there were no little bits left.
The thermal pads have two plastic covers on them, one is blue and flimsy, the other is clear and more rigid.
I would suggest removing the clear one first, then popping the pad onto the PWM/RAM/whatever, then once it's nice and secure, pry the blue cover off with a penknife (or if you're dexterous enough you can use your fingers).
9_New_heatsink_1.jpg

Both the little heatsinks installed now. Oh, they screw in from the back through the stock backing plate holes. I would strongly advice putting one on, then screwing it, then putting the other on and screwing it. They have a habit of falling off otherwise. :(
10_New_heatsinks.jpg

Next came the tricky bit.
Aligning the main heatsink was peasy, just match up the holes and plonk it on. Also, make sure you plug in the fan cable BEFORE you start plonking it down. I forgot this and had to use a pair of long nosed pliers to ease it in.
The tricky bit concerns the X brackets on the back. As you will know, they have little black plastic spacers on the bottom of each arm of the X, to increase the distance between the bracket and the PCB, so forcing the heatsink on to the core, maximising the contact.

Unfortunately, because of the superior contact of the Accelero Extreme, you WILL NOT be able to get the brackets on whilst the little black spacers are attached.

I tried for damn near 2 hours to get the little screw to fit in the little hole, and the bugger just wasn't long enough. :mad: This is where I bring up the slight bowing of the main plate, as mentioned briefly earlier. This did not help screwing the screws one bit.

Finally after much struggling, I decided to try removing 2 of the spaces from each bracket. HUZZAH! The buggers went in. Finally. :D

I was quite tempted to remove all of the little spacers, as I honestly don't think it needs them, but by that point I didn't care and just wanted to get the thing in my PC!

Here's the end result.
12_Je_Fini.jpg

It's a bit of a tight fit now between the cooler and my soundcard, as you can see below. With this cooler, your card will take up 2.75 slots. Just right for me. :D
If you have a card in the next slot with bit screws, or other objects protruding from the back of it, you could have an issue.
13_Clearance.jpg

I'm just popping off to play some games to get new temperature measurements.

Be back soon... :D

Soldato
OP
First of all... the sound.

We're all familiar with the WHOOSH as we start up our PCs and the 4870x2 decides it needs to be at 70+% fan speed.
I've no idea what % the Accelero boots with... but it's damn near silent.

I've currently got the Accelero set to 95% fan speed, because quite frankly, why wouldn't you.
It's quieter at 95% than the stock was at 35% (35% was my quiet time speed).
It's bloomin' fantastic!

Right, now for the temps...

- All temperatures are in degrees C. I'm just going to list the numbers to save me typing C next to each one. :p
- I am listing both cores, Core0/Core1.
- Ambient temperature of my room is approximately 27.5C (bear this in mind).
- Each scenario was left for a minimum of 15minutes to let the temps reach their peaks.
- Stock cooler set to 45% fan speed for all games.
- Accelero Extreme set to 95% fan speed for all games.

Idle Temps:
2D clocks, less than 0.50% GPU usage.

Stock cooler (35% speed) - 51/46
Stock cooler (45% speed) - 47/46
Stock cooler (55% speed) - 44/43
Arctic Cooling Accelero Extreme (95% fan speed) - 41/44

Game Temps:
Left 4 Dead: 1920x1200, Max texture settings, 4xAA, 8xAF. 99% GPU usage on both cores. No Mercy campaign (on the roof right at the beginning).
Stock cooler - 92/74​
Accelero Extreme - 69/63​

CounterStrike: Source: 1920x1200, Max texture settings, 8xAA, 8xAF. 60% GPU usage on both cores. Map: de_dust2, looking from T-Spawn down to Mid double doors.
Stock cooler - 78/64​
Accelero Extreme - 59/55​

Call of Duty 4: 1920x1200, Max texture settings, 4xAA, Mid AF. 99% GPU usage on both cores. Map: All Ghillied Up, insertion point.
Stock cooler - 91/74​
Accelero Extreme - 72/67​

Team Fortress 2: 1920x1200, Max texture settings, 4xAA, 8xAF. 95% GPU usage on both cores. Map: ctf_2fort, on the ground outside a base looking across the bridge towards the other base.
Stock cooler - 90/72​
Accelero Extreme - 67/63​

Clearly not a very comprehensive review, but those were the only games I could be bothered to measure with the stock cooler as I wanted to get cracking with the new one!

All in all, a nice 20~ degree drop in games. Plus the silence of the cooler, it's just magic. :)
Not too much drop in the idle temps but I was always content with them anyway.

Obviously things will improve once we get out of this hotness and back to normal UK weather ;)
I look forward to hitting low/mid 30s later in the year :D

There is one issue with this card though (besides the X bracket thing).

Due to the severe lack of noise coming from my PC, I have now come to realise that one of my capacitors squeals when under load. :(
Damn you and your silence Mr Accelero Extreme. :mad:

I joke obviously, I love this cooler!

Back
Top Bottom