Neovim or Vim?

Soldato
I need to learn to use Vim because it'll be much easier to work on remote files using SSH than using Nano, which I use now. I've been doing some searching, and Neovim looks good. I also like that you make plugins using Lua, a language I find easier than VimScript. I also hear that Neovim pushes changes faster than Vim.

Which would you use and why?

Soldato
I use vim quite a lot (or vi if vim isn't installed) not ventured elsewhere but typically the software I use already has vim installed, so would be a bit of a faff having to install another package.

Soldato
I tend to use vi/vim just because of the nature of the systems I ssh on to - we don't want to be installing additional packages into them to maintain/have issues with. Vi or Vim come default.

Soldato
OP
I use vim quite a lot (or vi if vim isn't installed) not ventured elsewhere but typically the software I use already has vim installed, so would be a bit of a faff having to install another package.
I tend to use vi/vim just because of the nature of the systems I ssh on to - we don't want to be installing additional packages into them to maintain/have issues with. Vi or Vim come default.
Thank you both. What I wanted to use Neovim for was as an IDE and something I do quick edits with when SSH into a machine. From what I can gather, even if I used Neovim on my Mac, it'll be similar enough to Vim on Linux / BSD so as not to cause too many problems.

I think they need different config files, so I'll have to put two configs on a new server rather than one.

Associate
If you just need to learn the vim commands then there are plugins for Vscode, etc. Neovim is cool but it can be a lot of setup, whereas some like Vscode is a quick install and then download your plugins.

Soldato
OP
If you just need to learn the vim commands then there are plugins for Vscode, etc. Neovim is cool but it can be a lot of setup, whereas some like Vscode is a quick install and then download your plugins.
I think I'll give Neovim a try and see how I get on. At worst, it is a bit of wasted time.

Soldato
Thank you both. What I wanted to use Neovim for was as an IDE and something I do quick edits with when SSH into a machine. From what I can gather, even if I used Neovim on my Mac, it'll be similar enough to Vim on Linux / BSD so as not to cause too many problems.

I think they need different config files, so I'll have to put two configs on a new server rather than one.

You can use Neovim as an IDE if you want yeah, it's pretty popular - my development needs I guess don't necessarily need a fully fledged IDE, I write mostly bash, terraform, ansible, powershell and a smattering a python - but I use vim for lots of reading/searching/querying log files, services etc.

Soldato
OP
You can use Neovim as an IDE if you want yeah, it's pretty popular - my development needs I guess don't necessarily need a fully fledged IDE, I write mostly bash, terraform, ansible, powershell and a smattering a python - but I use vim for lots of reading/searching/querying log files, services etc.
I have a couple of projects with hundreds of source code files, and I'm hoping Vim or Neovim make it easy to browse large projects.

Back
Top Bottom