*NEW* 2015 Dell Inspiron 15 - 7559, i7 6700HQ/GTX960M owners thread

Soldato
Anyone else got this sweet machine? I was looking for a "gaming" laptop for ages to replace my 3 year old Samsung. Had resigned myself to spending £1k plus and dealing with a clunky, ugly machine. Problem is, I am not the gamer I once was and maximum FPS/details aren't really top of my list, so was worried it would be a waste.

Enter the Inspiron 15 7559. Scouring the net for ideas, this machine stood out for several reasons, chiefly being the price, which seems like a bargain.

Spec:
i7 6700HQ, 8GB RAM (singe 8GB DDR3L stick included, spare slot), 1TB + 8GB hybrid drive (not all that terrible!), GTX 960M 4GB, FHD screen (but with panel lottery :(), sub woofer (mostly useless), 3 x USB3 (excellent for charging stuff!, usual HDMI/ethernet/SD card reader, backlit KB, no optical!

List price is £749 but can easily be had for ~£700, with a little wrangling or purchase from a third party seller.

Looks wise, this thing is, IMO, a cut above the crowd in this bracket of performance. You can keep the gimmicky bling of typical "gaming" laptops, this machine looks quite professional. The only giveaways are the mean looking vents and red accents to the trim/heatsinks. Even the backlit keyboard is nice and subtle.

Haven't really done any gaming (thanks, Christmas :mad:) but from a very brief play around with Far Cry 3, BF3 and Heaven 4.0, it seams to munch the kind of games I like with good settings and frame rate. Battery life when pootling about Windows and browsing seems excellent, I've been using it for 3 hours or so today and it's reporting 3 more hours in the tank. Not run it down fully yet though.

After a bit of general use, my biggest bug bear with this machine is the touch pad and panel lottery. The pad is very big, Apple style big, but it's a bit inconsistent with sensitivity and the built in buttons are a bit pants. No probs for gaming, as I use a BT mouse, but still an annoyance in Windows. Perhaps a later driver will help this, we'll see. Second annoyance with the model would be the panel lottery. Dell seems to be shipping units with one of two panels, an LG one which is lovely and a BOE one which, from posts on notebookreview, varies from meh to awful. I lucked out for a change and got an excellent looking LGD04B9.

I know one other user here has one on the way (mine was a week+ earlier than expected!) so I thought a thread would be in order to discuss model specific issues and whatnot

Soldato
OP
With regards to the RAM, mine came with Micron DDR3L-1600 / PC12800

M2 slots are just breakouts for SATA controllers IIRC, I'd go with the 128GB @ £65 personally, Well, actually I am holding off for a nice 256GB M2 card, maybe next month. Nice to have a fast boot SSD and 1TB HDD in a laptop this size

Soldato
OP
You can send it back under DSR as many times as needed until you get the right one... Not ideal but it's been done. Seems the quality of the BOE screen is quite variable, some are quite good, some very yellowy in whites

Soldato
OP
YEAAAAA!!!!!!!!!
I have the LG panel :)

Scweeeet :cool: You'll enjoy it, I am sure ;)

If it's not already updated, you need to get the latest Intel WiFi driver (no need for the ProSet tool), touchpad driver (the one mine shipped with was pants) and nVidia GeForce Experience (that'll keep the video driver up to date)

I've updated the system BIOS too, but for no reason than there was a newer one.

Soldato
OP
I agree, but for the money there isn't anything close. I did see an asus laptop with thunderbolt 3 and maybe even DDR4 support for around £800, but I think it had a lesser GPU / vram, CPU.

Yeah, next thing close is like £800 - 850. How Dell put this package together, I don't know. Some of the materials used show it's low cost nature, but it's by no means a cheap feeling product.

Oh aaand I'm at work, on my Jack Jones with my Dell and a 200Mb leased line... Work bandwidth misappropriation is rife today

Soldato
OP
Oddly Dell update updated a few things for me, like the touchpad driver (it shipped without scrolling working for example) but not the video driver or wifi. The wifi kept disconnecting randomly. Googling the adaptor brought up the Intel page with latest version and its rock solid now.

Tomb Raider and BF3 (with some settings adjusted to suite, mostly high) run perfect, very happy with it so far and I only see 65ish C on the GPU. Someone on here posted about a laptop they have with this GPU (Asus iirc) being noisy and hitting the high 80s, so its impressive.

CPU wise this thing is a monster, roughly 2500k performance in a potable machine is mind blowing and it's faster than my i5 4970 (iirc) work machine, which admittedly is Windows 7.

Plus it looks and feels darn cool ;)

I'd leave the install on the hdd in case you need to rma it in the future, just create a DATA folder for Steam games etc :cool:

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Hi all ,new member here ,any chance of somebody posting some pictures of their Dell ,also what is the opinion of the screen quality especially the LG model .
Im seriously looking at picking one of these up ,and would love to hear your opinions.

Here you go :)

WP_20151224_12_13_15_Pro.jpg

WP_20151224_12_13_32_Pro.jpg

WP_20151224_12_13_37_Pro.jpg

WP_20151224_12_13_44_Pro.jpg

WP_20151224_12_13_52_Pro.jpg

WP_20151224_12_14_16_Pro.jpg

WP_20151224_12_14_28_Pro.jpg

WP_20151224_12_14_48_Pro.jpg

Bit short on time but the LG screen is fab :)

Soldato
OP
Getting at the fans is very easy, removing the fans/heatsink assembly is a teardown through. While it's 'only' ~2.7KG, it's not exactly an ultra portable. My workmate was very impressed with the level of noise this makes while under load, in a fairly quiet office, a good trade off in my opinion for a few mm in thickness

Soldato
OP
4k is obscene at 15.6" imo and several reviews say they same. Many Windows apps can't scale well and iirc its glossy, which is a turn off for me anyway.

I'd also like to know about the 4K screen and also, does it have a DDR4 controller or just DDR3? it says comes with DDR3 but if there's a DDR4 controller then we can exceed the 16GB.....

DDR3L, 16GB max, which is plenty for this spec.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
If it's a UK machine, it'll probably be black/red despite the pictures, make sure to ask the retailer before buying or expect to be disappointed. I really like the colour though ;)

R.E. The other question, what to do with it new - remove the crappy AV it comes with and put something good on there like Sophos home, there is a little Dell bloat too and a dropbox offer. It can all be easily removed from add/remove programs in the control panel.

Soldato
OP
True, previously I've gone "bare back" for years at a time with no issues as well :p Where I work we use Sophos Enterprise and I've been quite impressed with how it does and the home version barely bothers you, has a minimal web based interface, unlike AVG and Avast which try to nag you into purchasing something by bamboozlement lol

Anyhoo...

Soldato
OP
All that matters is that you're happy with it :) Some people on notebookreview forums said the BOE screen was variable quality in white/blacks and had some problems with colour reproduction but you know what enthusiasts are like...

Upgraded mine to 16GB this morning and got all my isos together, next week it's SSD time and an upgrade to 10 Pro (for HyperV mostly)

Back
Top Bottom