New essential Android apps thread

Man of Honour
pushbullet is pretty damn good especially with the chrome plugin. can do what chrome-to-phone and airdroid (wifi) do, but in one neat little package.

Firefox plugin exists!

How cool is this app. I will now stop using FoxtoPhone which did something similar but to a lower feature level :D

I sent files to my phone using Pushbullet, instant :)

Soldato
pushbullet is pretty damn good especially with the chrome plugin. can do what chrome-to-phone and airdroid (wifi) do, but in one neat little package.
I still think airdroid is slightly better when it comes to transferring files from the pc. Every time I've transferred files it seems as though I need to upload the files to their server then redownload them... it's just really slow compared with airdroid or es file explorer.

Having said that the features it has does make up for it.

Man of Honour
Oh indeed, this is just perfect for the times you want to send over a quick picture or file without having to connect wirelessly or with a USB cable :)

Everything else is perfect though. Not sure the battery impact mirrored notifications has, testing needed for a day with this turned on...

Soldato
Any recommendations for a simple, clean WIFI tethering app?

um it's built in on most android phones these days....

settings... more (under wifi/bluetooth)... tethering & mobile hotspot - set up as you want it

Or (If like me) you don't have a Samsung device or you don't want to clog up your desktop with Switching Widgets put this 'Settings Extended' on your phone and turn on the button for Tethering :D

:cool:

Soldato
testing needed for a day with this turned on...
Pushbullets battery impact... next to none on my moto g.

If it did have an impact it was very small as I was still getting 3-4 days of standby on the phone (yeah I don't use it much) with wifi, gps etc all set as 'active'. Now this didn't include much transferring of files etc but we all know that would take more power plus I assume you referring to the 'idle' impact more than anything.

Soldato
Or (If like me) you don't have a Samsung device or you don't want to clog up your desktop with Switching Widgets put this 'Settings Extended' on your phone and turn on the button for Tethering :D

:cool:

Does that pin it to the top of the notification draw? My only pet hate with Power Toggles is that it won't stay pinned at the top unless you have a stupid invisible icon in the status bar.

How customisable is it also? :)

Cheers.

Soldato
I want to use pushbullet but Im not too sure on the chrome plugin that can access details from any website :(

Just incase you want to push something from the website to another device. It's really handy, seeing notifications on the desktop saves me time from picking my phone up to check what it is. It even works between two PCs, although both get listed under the same thing (So I see push to HTC One, Nexus 10, and Firefox (both desktop and laptop).

Last edited:
Soldato
Does that pin it to the top of the notification draw? My only pet hate with Power Toggles is that it won't stay pinned at the top unless you have a stupid invisible icon in the status bar.

How customisable is it also? :)

Cheers.

There are quite a lot of different buttons you can place in the bar, You can customise the colour and weather they change colour when pressed etc...

It's pinned into the top of the Drop Down so it won't clutter you homescreen!, the only thing you have to do so it's pinned there is have a Battery Percentage in the top left of the Notification bar, if you don't have this it get cleared by the 'Clear All' button.

Soldato
There are quite a lot of different buttons you can place in the bar, You can customise the colour and weather they change colour when pressed etc...

It's pinned into the top of the Drop Down so it won't clutter you homescreen!, the only thing you have to do so it's pinned there is have a Battery Percentage in the top left of the Notification bar, if you don't have this it get cleared by the 'Clear All' button.

Thanks for that :)

Basically the same as power toggles, although when you press clear on power toggles they remain.

Back
Top Bottom