Nexus 5 2015 refresh

Soldato
Am I the only one suffering from awful lag? The device is pretty much unusable right now. I don't have any non-mainstream apps installed but everything seems to just grind to a halt. The camera is especially bad, it takes ages before it can actually take photos.

Interestingly I seem to have firmware that is two iterations behind the current firmware, I'm not being offeren an OTA so I may just unlock my bootloader and update manually.

I just wanted to update on this. The phone was getting so laggy and unusable that I was getting really fed up and was about to do a wipe and install the latest firmware. The camera was taking about 10 seconds before the button worked and generally apps locking up all over the place. My Ice coloured device came installed with MDA89E and no OTA offered despite there being three newer versions now.

Well I didn't get around to wiping and the OTA for MDB08L arrived this morning and what a transformation. It's now flying along and is exactly the phone I wanted it to be. I couldn't be happier and have gone from "would strongly not recommend this phone" to "would absolutely recommend this phone".

MDB08M is available on the website, so I expect there will be even more improvements coming soon (not that I need any now).

Soldato
I'm on the MDB08L firmware too. Everything is silky smooth and as fast as my s6 is/was. I couldn't be happier. Although, the battery life is very much the same as my s6, I was hoping it's be a little better what with the smaller res screen and less intensive SOC. But oh well. Loving the immediate updates and stockyness feel to the phone. :D

Soldato
Im still on MDA89E here, might as well sideload the update at this rate.

Im enjoying the phone though, will post a mini-review/opinion thingy later.

Soldato
I just wanted to update on this. The phone was getting so laggy and unusable that I was getting really fed up and was about to do a wipe and install the latest firmware. The camera was taking about 10 seconds before the button worked and generally apps locking up all over the place. My Ice coloured device came installed with MDA89E and no OTA offered despite there being three newer versions now.

Well I didn't get around to wiping and the OTA for MDB08L arrived this morning and what a transformation. It's now flying along and is exactly the phone I wanted it to be. I couldn't be happier and have gone from "would strongly not recommend this phone" to "would absolutely recommend this phone".

MDB08M is available on the website, so I expect there will be even more improvements coming soon (not that I need any now).

That's good to hear, I'd been put off by some of the comments relating to performance. Has this update also solved the problem with performance while charging?

Soldato
That's good to hear, I'd been put off by some of the comments relating to performance. Has this update also solved the problem with performance while charging?

To be honest, no it hasn't solved that. I can't see a software update solving it easily, in my opinion there is a shielding issue. It's not *that* annoying though. The phone charges so quickly it's not plugged in for long.

Soldato
One thing I noticed about the lag when charging is that sometimes its there and sometimes not.
Sometimes it will appear half way through a message or sometimes clear half way through and come back again.

Soldato
The only time I can really see it being annoying is on a flight or something, if I'm charging my phone and playing a game which requires accurate/fast touch.

It seems less bad on my work 2 amp charger, which would make sense as there is less current to cause interference compared to the supplied 3 amp charger.

It's certainly not a show stopper though, my original lag issue with the first release firmware was though! Glad that is sorted.

Soldato
To be honest, no it hasn't solved that. I can't see a software update solving it easily, in my opinion there is a shielding issue. It's not *that* annoying though. The phone charges so quickly it's not plugged in for long.

Thanks, I do often use my phone while charging, but as you say with fast charging it shouldn't really be an issue very often.

Soldato
Hmm well. Just an update on my purchase. Seems the paint isn't that great on these :s I've got what looks like two slight shiny finger marks on the back where my fingers rest, no amount of scrubbing/cleaning gets rid of them. Ho hum

Associate
Anyone else have a hard time picking the 5x over the 6P? I do want stock Android as had it with the Nexus 5 for the past few years. I do like the sound of burst mode and the video FPS but the phone is a lot bigger than the 5x.

Soldato
Anyone else have a hard time picking the 5x over the 6P? I do want stock Android as had it with the Nexus 5 for the past few years. I do like the sound of burst mode and the video FPS but the phone is a lot bigger than the 5x.

Yep, I'd rather have the 6P for many reasons, but feel its too large. So far I've purchased neither.

Caporegime
I had the 6P, couldn't get on with the size, mainly the height so it went back.... even though the 5x is still an upgrade to the n5 overall, I just can't justify the cost of the 5x when compared to the 6P... for the sake of an extra £100, the 6p is just better overall, better screen, speakers, build/premium feel, 810, 3GB ram etc.

Back
Top Bottom