Nexus 5 leaked

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
TBH I wouldn't mind paying £400 that price if it ensures a kick ass camera and great battery life, it already has the best software (for me) and will have a nice design, build, screen, SoC, just want that camera too be top notch.

It's not what the nexus devices are about though. They are all heavily compromised in key areas to offer a low price.

Soldato
They are all heavily compromised in key areas to offer a low price.

A touch strong. They are trimmed devices, Google subsidise the price and there's little to no costs involved in software development from the manufacturer.

Looking forward to seeing what the Nexus 5 has to offer. I don't have enough faith in LG to continue updating the G2 (otherwise I'd have imported a 32GB or microSD enabled one already), so otherwise it's between this and the Oppo N1 (Cyanogen version)... it depends on how big my pockets feel when they've both been released.

Soldato
TBH I wouldn't mind paying £400 that price if it ensures a kick ass camera and great battery life, it already has the best software (for me) and will have a nice design, build, screen, SoC, just want that camera too be top notch.

To be honest I would rather they had sacrificed the SoC and put in a cheaper one and went all out on the camera. We have hit a stumbling point on SoC's in phones where it doesn't matter that it has more power, it's performance will be limited by the cooling and throttling in the phone.

You can see this in benchmarks of phones like the Moto X where the benchmarks are very close or equal to far more 'powerful' phones because the SoC's in these phones are being throttled.

I think they could have even kept the exact same chip as the Nexus 4 in fact, improved it's performance with better thermal cooling and added a kick ass camera, more storage and a better battery.

Will have to wait and see exactly how everything works out for the N5, but it's a shame manufacturers are forced into jamming these OTT chips into phones without adequate cooling just so spec whores (there are some on this forum who moaned massively about the SoC in the Moto X) and reviewing tech sites are satisfied.

Soldato
I really couldn't care about the camera too much, if you really want good camera quality why not buy a nice little portable camera.:confused:

Soldato
i guess it's just me who doesn't feel the need to take a large amount of high quality images on my phone, It's alright if I wish to snap the odd image. If I know I wanted to take some images I would just grab my camera. The large camera adds to the phones size a great deal and add to the overall cost which most people wouldn't take advantage of really.

Soldato
To be honest I would rather they had sacrificed the SoC and put in a cheaper one and went all out on the camera. We have hit a stumbling point on SoC's in phones where it doesn't matter that it has more power, it's performance will be limited by the cooling and throttling in the phone.

S800 has other benefits - better IPC and features such as 1080p60 and 720p120.

Plus it's on a new node process so power efficiency gains. And the difference is probably about $10 over a S600.

Soldato
It's not what the nexus devices are about though. They are all heavily compromised in key areas to offer a low price.

Not really, there dev phones. The GN cost £600 and it was well behind the curve, using a pretty weak SoC and a bad camera.

However now the Nexus brand is starting too become more mainstream and there really pushing the N7 and I would expect the same from the N5, and a mainstream phone needs to be competitive on every front.

I really couldn't care about the camera too much, if you really want good camera quality why not buy a nice little portable camera.:confused:

Camera phone these days are getting close to point and shoots, and even then you won't be taking a point and shoot everywhere. But your phone is always with you, and any time you want to take a picture its the go to device. I tend to take a lot of photos and its a bit hit and miss and I would like it too be better.

Edit:

Not sure if this has been posted. Camera UI leaked

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Not really, there dev phones. The GN cost £600 and it was well behind the curve, using a pretty weak SoC and a bad camera.

However now the Nexus brand is starting too become more mainstream and there really pushing the N7 and I would expect the same from the N5, and a mainstream phone needs to be competitive on every front.

I'm not sure if you're disagreeing or agreeing with me there :p

Originally they were developer devices, but their purpose has clearly shifted over the years... which means I'm saying the exact same thong you are I think.

Are we any wiser on a 32GB model yet?

Soldato
I'm not sure if you're disagreeing or agreeing with me there :p

Originally they were developer devices, but their purpose has clearly shifted over the years... which means I'm saying the exact same thong you are I think.

Are we any wiser on a 32GB model yet?

"thong" ;) yeh I guess where saying the same thing.

Also I really hope they give us a 32GB model, I have some hope since there is a 16/32 for the N7.

Soldato
http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/10/05/purported-service-manual-gives-a-look-at-the-next-nexus-phone-reveals-32gb-storage-8mp-ois-camera-photos-and-more/

The Android Police leak seems to confirm 16GB and 32GB options, which should make plenty of us happy. :)

edit: Also a really nice change from the Nexus 4 is the main speaker runs along the bottom of the device rather then being on the back, which was one of the major flaws on the Nexus 4. There also seems to be an extra speaker on the front built into the earpiece.

Last edited:
Soldato
http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/10/05/purported-service-manual-gives-a-look-at-the-next-nexus-phone-reveals-32gb-storage-8mp-ois-camera-photos-and-more/

The Android Police leak seems to confirm 16GB and 32GB options, which should make plenty of us happy. :)

edit: Also a really nice change from the Nexus 4 is the main speaker runs along the bottom of the device rather then being on the back, which was one of the major flaws on the Nexus 4. There also seems to be an extra speaker on the front built into the earpiece.

sounds nice from that list.. all depends on how good the camera is! if its well priced and with a same/better camera than my find 5 I'm picking one up without a doubt! :)

Soldato
That leak allays a lot of my fears. My only remaining concern is the battery life. 2300 mAh seems confirmed. Same capacity as HTC One but this has bigger screen and I assume a more power hungry SoC?

Man of Honour
That leak allays a lot of my fears. My only remaining concern is the battery life. 2300 mAh seems confirmed. Same capacity as HTC One but this has bigger screen and I assume a more power hungry SoC?

The SoC power usage will be about the same maybe even slightly less.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom