NFL 2021 Season

Caporegime
Honestly Niners should be out of sight here, been utterly dominant and a fortunate fumble and penalties have killed drives for them to KC benefit

Going to be yet another brutal one to lose, no way Chiefs are this bad second half

How easy to predict. Absolutely ******* miserable effort by Niners in the third quarter, Shanahan called a completely **** game until he was behind and every bounce went KC way

Soldato
49ers should have won that easy.... It was gifted to the Chiefs...

So many mistakes from Chiefs in normal time, 49er's failed to take advantage.

Soldato
OP
I thought it was a well-balanced, defensive game. As a neutral, I don't feel one team got more 'luck' than the other, but it might depend on what you call luck when it comes to fumbles, botched punt returns and penalties etc.

Was this the first time we've had Overtime with 'both teams will have the chance to possess the ball'?

Soldato
After watching approx the first third by chance, having not watched much American football since the days of "The Refrigerator" in the Chicago Bears squad, I was surprised a little by result when I woke given how the 49ers were 10-0 up and making much more ground than the Chiefs early on.

Associate
I thought it was a well-balanced, defensive game. As a neutral, I don't feel one team got more 'luck' than the other, but it might depend on what you call luck when it comes to fumbles, botched punt returns and penalties etc.

Was this the first time we've had Overtime with 'both teams will have the chance to possess the ball'?

Yea, I believe it was.

I think you're right, it was a fairly balanced game, very defensive tussle but lots of errors and miss-queues. I think for me there is an element of luck with the Chiefs in these two SB wins and I do think even the best teams can be on the 'right' side of the decisions and moments. Last year's holding call, this year the ball bouncing off the Niners on the return. Although I think other factors had a bigger input, like the Niners offense (or lack there of) in the third quarter.

Soldato
Loved it, thought it was such a balanced game, with excellent defensive work. The ball seemed to be lubed up and slippy as all hell... Even the chiefs throws back from the scrimmage were dodgy all match.

No expert but been watching Super Bowl and most of this years Play Off's... I thought the Chiefs turned it on when they needed to and saved their energy and plays, from the two minute warning you could just tell it was Mahome time. He only made one small judgement error in OT from what i recall - the drives were brilliant especially the one on 4th down in OT. And when they have Butker in the backpocket as mr consistent to rely on...

Apparently this was supposed to be their weaker year with a young squad... Can see why people are worried of another Patriot like run.

Last edited:
Associate
Apparently this was supposed to be their weaker year with a young squad... Can see why people are worried of another Patriot like run.

That's what everyone said. Last year after they traded Tyreek, one of the best WRs in the league.

They are limited on cap space and will have to rely on younger, cheaper talent to fill in the gaps. That said they have Reid, Spagnuolo, Mahones, Kelce and other all-time greats who will win them the big games. Everyone in the NFC and AFC are going to have to do better.

Soldato
OP
this year the ball bouncing off the Niners on the return.
And this is one of the things I thought about. I think it's fine to say (and most people would) that this was luck. At the same time though, it's a coached thing that gets hammered into players and for which possibly the returner needs to take responsibility for... no-one should be anywhere near that ball if the returner isn't catching it.

Associate
And this is one of the things I thought about. I think it's fine to say (and most people would) that this was luck. At the same time though, it's a coached thing that gets hammered into players and for which possibly the returner needs to take responsibility for... no-one should be anywhere near that ball if the returner isn't catching it.
Yea, it's a bit of everything. The player was oblivious to it. Other players have to be quick to react, but the ball has to bounce in the right way etc.

Soldato
OP
but the ball has to bounce in the right way etc.
But for a punt return, it's a numbers game. Luck would be the one 49er back there having it bounce to him, instead of the 4 or 5 Chiefs... not the other way around, if you know what I mean?

I'm not saying it's not luck... just that luck is a very interesting topic when you really get into it :cry:

Associate
But for a punt return, it's a numbers game. Luck would be the one 49er back there having it bounce to him, instead of the 4 or 5 Chiefs... not the other way around, if you know what I mean?

I'm not saying it's not luck... just that luck is a very interesting topic when you really get into it :cry:

Yes, but I think that's due to how returns tend to work; more often than not the returner with a number of the kicking team bearing down on them. Obviously not every one is the same. The kicker wasn't aiming for the Niner player's heal and I think that's some of the luck involved. I suspect most if not all of the successful teams in sports tend to enjoy the benefit of 'luck' than the losing teams. I'm sure there have been studies over the years and people debating it, much like momentum etc.

Soldato
OP
The kicker wasn't aiming for the Niner player's heal and I think that's some of the luck involved. I suspect most if not all of the successful teams in sports tend to enjoy the benefit of 'luck' than the losing teams.
My point is though, yes, the ball went there, but his foot should not have been. That's not luck that he's near where the ball landed, that's an error.

Back
Top Bottom