• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA 4000 Series

Soldato
Nope I can still hear high frequency noises from electrical devices like I used to, that has never changed :p

Are you suggesting that you're the only human in existence that doesn't lose hearing frequency each year? :cry: No wrinkles or nostril hair either I assume? What's your secret!

Last edited:
Man of Honour
My appearance hasn't hanged in the last 15-20 years :p

Frequency changes happen in human hearing after age 30 anyway, I am 40 and I had the 2070 super only a couple of years back. I know coil whine, like I said I can still hear the whine from certain electricals, wall wart device chargers etc, even one of my Anker 12v lighter socket car chargers that I keep as a backup has whine so I replaced it with a newer one that does not.

Soldato
You need rope for that mate :p

I always lock fps to 120 with my 144Hz displays @120Hz. If i dont use G Sync & V Sync i can sometimes hear my 3060Ti have some coil whine, first time i had a card that does this too, maybe its since i bought higher refresh monitors though.

Last edited:
Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
What PSU's would be recommended though if it is...

Hmm as I normally have more than one machine in the household I would swap in another just to see if it made a difference. If you cannot borrow one then the other technique is what someone else suggested (and it works) was a kitchen roll / toilet roll to listen in localised spots to isolate.

Soldato
I've found that the higher the rating, i.e. Gold, Platinum etc the less chance of it causing or having coil whine. My current is PSU is Titanium rated and is as quiet as a church mouse and so is my 4090.

The Asus TUF OC 7900XTX I had tried previously had coil whine so bad that it didn't last an hour before I filled in the RMA ticket with OcUK.

Associate
I also remember somewhere reading that its larger cache somewhat mitigates this by tapping into system memory more efficiently?
Anyone know how true that is or have I completely made that up?

As stated above, cache doesn't help with the redued amount of VRAM, but it does help mitigate a narrower memory bus. From what I've read though it's massively inferior to just having a wider memory bus, but is presumably cheaper which is why nVidia do it this way now.

Soldato

Frequency changes happen in human hearing after age 30 anyway, I am 40 and I had the 2070 super only a couple of years back. I know coil whine, like I said I can still hear the whine from certain electricals, wall wart device chargers etc, even one of my Anker 12v lighter socket car chargers that I keep as a backup has whine so I replaced it with a newer one that does not.

Sounds like user error :D

Soldato
I've found that the higher the rating, i.e. Gold, Platinum etc the less chance of it causing or having coil whine. My current is PSU is Titanium rated and is as quiet as a church mouse and so is my 4090.

The Asus TUF OC 7900XTX I had tried previously had coil whine so bad that it didn't last an hour before I filled in the RMA ticket with OcUK.

I've owned 3 gold PSU and 2 Platinums, all Corsair branded and all no coil or fan noise

Caporegime
Had to buy the hated 4060ti today for my son. I know it’s got a lot of bad press for only having 8gb vram, but I also remember somewhere reading that its larger cache somewhat mitigates this by tapping into system memory more efficiently?
Anyone know how true that is or have I completely made that up?

If that's true it doesn't seen to work well for Nvidia..... look at the 1% lows.

PS: this is an Nvidia sponsored game.

oqbC90y.jpg

Seasonic.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've owned 3 gold PSU and 2 Platinums, all Corsair branded and all no coil or fan noise

Same experience tbh and Seasonic all good for me. Was only when switched to the likes of Asus and Lian Li for other builds that coil whine is more apparent.

Albeit my Asus Loki since being run in doesn't exhibit any coil whine anymore, it was very hit and miss at the start. I ordered 3 to test and sent the worse 2 back and kept the best one, hate doing it but what choice do i have.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I've only had Corsair HX series, Superflower Leadex and Phanteks AMP (Seasonic on the inside and uses the same Seasonic cables) modular PSUs, none of them have had coil whine and all run passive cooled until the load reaches something silly like 500W+, the HX1000i basically runs in 0rpm mode at all times even when gaming. Such is the benefit of a 1000W PSU I guess that it's never under any stress even with a 4090 lol.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I've found PSUs built from FSP's high end platform seem to do well when it comes to a system not having coil whine, Seasonic can be good but I've found some models and/or other brands who use Seasonic internally can be another story.

I commonly find the brand Asus associated with instances of coil whine though :s one way or another, for a brand which has somehow gained a somewhat premium product position they definitely don't back that up with the selection of internal components.

Associate
I've found PSUs built from FSP's high end platform seem to do well when it comes to a system not having coil whine, Seasonic can be good but I've found some models and/or other brands who use Seasonic internally can be another story.

I commonly find the brand Asus associated with instances of coil whine though :s one way or another, for a brand which has somehow gained a somewhat premium product position they definitely don't back that up with the selection of internal components.
Seasonic are often mentioned, I even run one myself. But some Seasonic power supplies from 3 or 4 years ago did have issues with transient power spikes, mine was one of the first corrected but has in cable smoothing capacitors which can be a pain.

As long as it's not a CS, CV or CX, Corsair units seem to be the safest purchase.

Caporegime
I have an EVGA Supernova 650 GS fully modular, Gold 80+, its 7 years old, its seen 4, i think? GPU's.

Internally its actually a SeaSonic G-650 with a couple of EVGA added extras like semi passive cooling mode and fully modular.

Never had even a hint of coilwhine with any of them, my next PSU will be SeaSonic or a SeaSonic derivative.

Last edited:
Soldato
As I needed to upgrade my HX750i when I built my new rig before Xmas, I just got the AX1600i on the basis of it being "the last PSU I'll ever need" :)

Regards EVGA, I've always thought them to be one of the top brands for things like PSUs but, after seeing GN's latest news video which details how they managed to "accidentally" change the pinouts on a PSU, leading to two versions of the same model requiring different cables, I'm forced to alter that opinion.

Last edited:
Associate
Regards EVGA, I've always thought them to be one of the top brands for things like PSUs but, after seeing GN's latest news video which details how they managed to "accidentally" change the pinouts on a PSU, leading to two versions of the same model requiring different cables, I'm forced to alter that opinion.
The above poster (to yourself) has an EVGA but knows the OEM so also knows he has a good unit. But that's my gripe with EVGA, far too many different OEMs, the minority being good and the majority being trash tier.

So while I'd have an EVGA power supply, it'd be because I did my homework on which one to get before buying one.

Soldato
If that's true it doesn't seen to work well for Nvidia..... look at the 1% lows.

PS: this is an Nvidia sponsored game.

oqbC90y.jpg

Seasonic.

Tpu got very different numbers. Toms hardware maybe on a bad pre release driver or have some system issue

Last edited:
Soldato
Tpu got very different numbers. Toms hardware maybe on a bad pre release driver or have some system issue

Techpowerup has worse FPS than Tom's Hardware,and don't show the 1% lows.

performance-2560-1440.png

The RTX4060TI 8GB still looks terrible,and it costs far more than a £300 RX6750XT and in many cases more than an RX6800 or RX7700XT. Also the RX6800 and RX7700XT can be had for around £360 to £380 now.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom