• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA 4000 Series

Soldato
Hey,

Recently got a 4080 Super Zotac OC white, while the card runs great it had terrible coil whine so has been returned and purchased another but the whine is exactly the same..
Is this common on the 40 series or have I just been unlucky and try a 3rd time?

What games and at what FPS?

Coil whine is usually worse at very high FPS.

Soldato
Hey,

Recently got a 4080 Super Zotac OC white, while the card runs great it had terrible coil whine so has been returned and purchased another but the whine is exactly the same..
Is this common on the 40 series or have I just been unlucky and try a 3rd time?

I know that I have written something similar previously, but......

"Praise the Lord", for my continuous tinnitus, both ears. I can genuinely say that I have never heard coil whine.
My 4080FE is perfect, then again so has every other GPU that I've owned.

Associate
Had to buy the hated 4060ti today for my son. I know it’s got a lot of bad press for only having 8gb vram, but I also remember somewhere reading that its larger cache somewhat mitigates this by tapping into system memory more efficiently?
Anyone know how true that is or have I completely made that up?

Soldato
Saying whether or not your card has coil whine is pointless unless you also give your age - your ability to hear it diminishes with time!
This 100%. Many special people say "no coil whine" - but have a card that screams like a pig to someone with some hearing left.

Either that, or they're using a 4090 @ 1080P with Windows 7, on a 60hz monitor (there are people in this scenario on this forum) - where GPU utilisation doesn't get close to 100%, so the card is nice and quiet.

Man of Honour
Either that, or they're using a 4090 @ 1080P with Windows 7, on a 60hz monitor (there are people in this scenario on this forum) - where GPU utilisation doesn't get close to 100%, so the card is nice and quiet.
Do they just like buying Jensen jackets? I don't get it :o

Had to buy the hated 4060ti today for my son. I know it’s got a lot of bad press for only having 8gb vram, but I also remember somewhere reading that its larger cache somewhat mitigates this by tapping into system memory more efficiently?
Anyone know how true that is or have I completely made that up?
So far as I know, the cache in modern cards (e.g. RDNA2, Ada) is primarily used to mitigate the performance loss of shrinking the bus (e.g. 4060 Ti has a bus that is half the size of the 3060 Ti). The more data you can fit in the cache, the less it has to use significantly slower dram. How much that helps with performance, I don't know, but I'm pretty sure it won't help when you run out of memory.

Man of Honour
I generally can hear coil whine when other people complain of it, but so far not heard the slightest hint of it with the Gigabyte 4080 Super Gaming OC. My 3070s are slightly odd and both do it for some reason, when I have high FPS (i.e. 500+ in a menu) in Windows 10 there is some coil whine, but they do not produce the same under Windows 7 or 11, not sure what is going on there.

Last edited:
Soldato
I haven't heard coil whine since the 2070 Super really. 3080 ti FE had some minor but only in some display resolutions/conditions. 4090 has none, although on a new PSU for that.

You've obviously gotten older since 2019 (2070 super release year)- so it's likely you just can't hear the high frequencies any longer. One of the advantages of aging :cry:

I still find water cooling pumps annoying - will be lovely when it's the same noise as a Noctua cooler to my ears :D

Last edited:
Associate
What games and at what FPS?

Coil whine is usually worse at very high FPS.
It’s on any game / benchmarking.

Helldivers 2 / Darktide / dragons dogma 2 / Granblue fantasy relink - just seems to be soon as under load high or low fps happens.

Collecting the 3rd on Thursday so we’ll see what happens

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom