OcUK Dadsnet thread

Soldato
Current rules - anyone earning below £50k can claim child benefit. For every £100 over your earnings of £50000, you have to repay 1% of child benefit to HMRC, so that when you are earning £60k you no longer receive the benefit at all

New rules - anyone earning below £60k can claim child benefit. For every £200 over your earnings of £60000, you have to repay 1% of child benefit to HMRC, so that when you are earning £80k you no longer receive the benefit at all.
What's a bit confusing imo is in my case, my wife had a pay rise to take her over 50k last April. I didn't even realise self assessment for child tax credits was a thing until someone mentioned it at work. I just assumed (presumably like a lot of people) that if you are PAYE, it sorts itself out as it's just another government department.
What's annoying is that she'll have to do it, then have to deregister otherwise she'll get fined for not doing it even though the threshold is increasing above her pay (or at least thats how one of my colleagues explained it to me).

Don
What's a bit confusing imo is in my case, my wife had a pay rise to take her over 50k last April. I didn't even realise self assessment for child tax credits was a thing until someone mentioned it at work. I just assumed (presumably like a lot of people) that if you are PAYE, it sorts itself out as it's just another government department.
What's annoying is that she'll have to do it, then have to deregister otherwise she'll get fined for not doing it even though the threshold is increasing above her pay (or at least thats how one of my colleagues explained it to me).

She doesn't have to deregister but she does have to fill in a self assessment to repay (via tax) any overpayment she's received this year.

Although depending on how big her pay rise is, it may be worth waiting for her P60 to show her actual income following deductions for pensions etc. She may still be under the £50k taxable income.

Associate
ah nursery fees, had an email stating fees won't go up anymore than 10%.

queue today's email. 16% increase :cry:

asked for a breakdown, their answer was you'll get it on the invoice which you get on the 1st every month when the payment is also due lol

Last edited:
Soldato
We are thinking of taking our little one abroad, will be 3 when the time comes, looking at September.

Now I'm not a fan of little kids on planes, it's hard enough doing a bloody car journey at times ! Plus the whole ear popping thing! Our lass however is adamant that she will be fine.

So anyone with experience with snakes on a plane, I mean children ?

Also recommendations, ideally warm but as short a flight as possible..

Man of Honour
We took our 2 year old to Tenerife a few weeks ago, zero issues beyond usual children stuff, was much easier than I expected.

Edit felt like a VIP at the airports, family lanes everywhere to skip queues.

Last edited:
Permabanned
We are thinking of taking our little one abroad, will be 3 when the time comes, looking at September.

Now I'm not a fan of little kids on planes, it's hard enough doing a bloody car journey at times ! Plus the whole ear popping thing! Our lass however is adamant that she will be fine.

Take an iPad and plenty of snacks, you’ll be fine.

Soldato

Chewing gum can help for little ears.

Last edited:
Caporegime

Our daughter was fine on the plane when we went away last August. Didn't have a problem with her ears either.

Worst part for her (and me) was the inexplicable queueing. At the gate and passport control.

Associate

Take a Nintendo Switch + some two player games, eg Mario Kart. Helps keep unruley child & unruly parent occupied ;)

Man of Honour
Babies first birthday tomorrow so we've been out to soft play and a cafe for lunch today while I've got the day off.

Wife decided she'd like to get her a build a bear to keep (first heart attack) go in and start chatting and they point out if you join their mailing list you get the bear for the price of how old they are (suspicious but seemed to add up based on the display) got it all done, that'll be £22 please (ummm she's one not twenty one).

Based on the receipt the only thing you get for the price of their age is an unstuffed carcass, stuffing alone was £7. How they can legally get away with it I don't know but it was very much like being in the showroom with a pushy salesman as they asked you what you'd like without pointing out they're all chargeable extras.

Back
Top Bottom