OcUK's History....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
Inspiring stuff, makes me think that anyone who has the will can go far, as long as they put the time and effort in.

It's been good seeing Overclockers go from strength to strength, through he hard times.

I still own the 600Mhz Slot A Athlon that I bought back in the day from OcUK and I've never had a single problem with it! (it was infact the motherboard that didn't work, prompting me to sign up here in the first place :D)

Soldato
Its interesting to note that a lot of these businesses started out as partnerships. A certain well-known shop that ceased trading in august was also a partnership that fell apart....

Makes you wonder a bit. We might have nowhere to go if theyd both folded :/

Keep it up guys, you do a great job with great prices and still seem to make a mint while having a good time too :D

Soldato
Good read 'sah. Thank you for that, I was curious.. and definately glad this place exists.

Like others, I also know of other businesses that had the same issue. One partner worked their backsides off, the other tended to be a bit more silent. The hard worker bought the other out, and the company survived intact, and generally in better shape.
My old employers were similar. The company had grown well (sole UK distributor of a particular budget classical album range), but had reached a plateau as far as growth was concerned. The company was profitable, but not going any where. One partner was determined that for there to be growth there needed to be a massive advertising expenditure, and he suggested the whole of the previous years profits (they had plenty in reserve to back up such a large expenditure). The others disagreed, they were happy with the status quo. He bought them out (offer they couldn't refuse), and spent the money. Instant sales growth (through the roof), now in the top 5 of the biggest distributors of classical music in the UK, with a staff of only about 40~50, makes a very nice profit, and treats its staff exceptionally well because of that profit (large social budget, etc. etc.)

I wonder what it is about business partnerships that it often ends up being like this?

Soldato
Originally posted by Kinsy
Conflict of Interests, my dear Watson.

Well.. yeah, but it just seems that even though people have the same sort of vision in mind, somewhere along the line one or other seems to lose it, or it gets altered significantly.

Man of Honour
Originally posted by Garp
Well.. yeah, but it just seems that even though people have the same sort of vision in mind, somewhere along the line one or other seems to lose it, or it gets altered significantly.

Differing levels of drive and determination I suppose. When one reaches what he/she aimed for they start to lose the drive to excel. It would be unusual for 2 people to reach this at the same point, so it seems that Spie's drive pushed him on while Madrad decided he'd gone far enough and achieved what he wanted to.

Soldato
Originally posted by Gibbo
I won't give you the Gibbo life story in this thread, so later I will make a post of my own explaining how I began working for OcUK and how I have moved upwards within the business. :)

Look forward to the read:)

Originally posted by Lostie
There's been two "major" events during OcUK's history, the first was when Spie bought out his former partner and assumed sole ownership of the business, the second most important event was when I joined the forums.

chenko: The ups and downs of business eh?

ROFL!:D

Tumbler^

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Originally posted by Phantom
how can you be on the phone AND be using the internet?! u got one of those fancy mobile phone things?! :eek:
Or two phone lines. Or broadband.

Or, like me, all of the above. :D

Associate
Very interesting read Spie, I discovered OCuK about the time you entered the scene, the web site has done more good than anything else, which in these days of .com ventures and the cut throat computer market is trully amazing, you (as a company) have constantly listened to forum members suggestions and acted upon them instead of what others do which is try to sell you stuff you don't want and I wish you all the best in the future as you have a winning formulae and loyal user base, how many companies can say that!.

I can't be there to share with you, but have a drink on behalf of all the overclockers.co.uk forum members, you deserve it.

Andrew Cichocki.

Soldato
OP
Just an idea but since you are continuing to build OcUK more and more each year, have you ever considered using a finance company so your customers can request finance on your products.

I am sure this will increase your customer numbers, and offer more of a choice when people look at other retailers out there?

Soldato
Originally posted by PAC2003
Just an idea but since you are continuing to build OcUK more and more each year, have you ever considered using a finance company so your customers can request finance on your products.

I am sure this will increase your customer numbers, and offer more of a choice when people look at other retailers out there?

People can just use thier credit cards:confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom