Oculus Rift

Associate
Agreed on suitable games for this - I would think it's more suited to sandbox 3d stuff like Garry's Mod.

I fancy dabbling with the dev kit - for those of you using this with Unity, can you use it with the free version? From what I've read you need the pro license to use plugins - and $1500 seems a lot, just for me to play around.

You can just, umm... "acquire" the pro version, and then pay for a proper licence if you plan to release something using it. That's what a lot of people (individuals, not game studios :p) I know have been doing, as for an individual it's pretty steep if you're not even sure you're going to release something with it.

Associate
TBH I wouldn't mind using a pad with this but I would like to see a couple of cameras on the front for "see through mode" so I don't have to take the thing off when I want to pop out to the shop for snacks.

Associate
TBH I wouldn't mind using a pad with this but I would like to see a couple of cameras on the front for "see through mode" so I don't have to take the thing off when I want to pop out to the shop for snacks.
Most people wouldn't want to walk out of the house with these ski goggles attached to their head. And making it more lightweight and minimal like Google Glass isn't the solution, because you need the lenses right up against your eyes for the full FOV.

The ultimate dream would be to achieve both virtual and augmented reality in the same product, but I think the only way to do that would be with contact lenses or even bionic eyes.

Soldato
As latency is a MASSIVE factor with these I can imagine it will be a while before we see a wireless version of the Rift. This in itself is not a massive problem, people put up with wires on their headphones all the time, but does stop you getting a drink with them on, or leaving the house (unless they're turned off...)

EDIT, oh and ArmA3 support for the win!

Associate
As latency is a MASSIVE factor with these I can imagine it will be a while before we see a wireless version of the Rift. This in itself is not a massive problem, people put up with wires on their headphones all the time, but does stop you getting a drink with them on, or leaving the house (unless they're turned off...)

EDIT, oh and ArmA3 support for the win!

Why would you want to try and get a drink or leave the house with them on.

Its not like you can see through them, its basically a 3d monitor, can you see through you're monitor? :)

Has anyone got one yet btw?

Would love to see some pics.

Soldato
What...I , what? leaving the house? What has that got to do with anything.

I was refering to this:

They're goggle like, lift it up and drink! (or use a straw ) :p

I meant it stops you getting up to go to the kitchen to get a drink with them on, even if they had cameras like Smelly Legend suggests.

Why would you want to try and get a drink or leave the house with them on.

Its not like you can see through them, its basically a 3d monitor, can you see through you're monitor? :)

I wasn't suggesting you could! :)

Soldato
Had an e-mail from Oculus today saying people will need a Unity Pro license for the API. There's a 4-month demo, which is better than nothing I suppose :)

Hoping Valve really get behind this sort of tech, as it's the kind of thing that will bring back PCs to the cutting edge of gaming credibility.

Soldato
Looks awesome. Just needs higher res and as much reduction in latency as they can get with the consumer model.

I've ordered one... probably around £400 after import duty & clearance costs etc... and it won't arrive until much later in the year as they're still shipping the kickstarter kits out...!

Soldato
So what do ppl think the price will be when it comes out, if its about the same as nvidia 3d vision then thats me out as thats already too expensive. If its under 100 quid then perhaps somit like 50 to 60 quid would be ideal but i doubt it really would be that low. Still i dream i guess lol.

Tho tbh if i couldnt stand real 3d in the cinema when i went in march to pics which was my first 3d film btw then i duno if i could even use the oculus rift. As i couldnt focus during fast scenes just very slow ones, i kept feeling cockeyed when it was fast tho i was using my old glasses at the time and just got a new pair so maybe that would fix 3d for me i dunno.

I guess they might have demo units in retail stores i dunno but i hope they do so i can try a few games out before i bought one just to see if i could use it with the way my eyes were in that 3d film.

Last edited:
Soldato
So what do ppl think the price will be when it comes out, if its about the same as nvidia 3d vision then thats me out as thats already too expensive. If its under 100 quid then perhaps somit like 50 to 60 quid would be ideal but i doubt it really would be that low. Still i dream i guess lol.

Tho tbh if i couldnt stand real 3d in the cinema when i went in march to pics which was my first 3d film btw then i duno if i could even use the oculus rift. As i couldnt focus during fast scenes just very slow ones, i kept feeling cockeyed when it was fast tho i was using my old glasses at the time and just got a new pair so maybe that would fix 3d for me i dunno.

I guess they might have demo units in retail stores i dunno but i hope they do so i can try a few games out before i bought one just to see if i could use it with the way my eyes were in that 3d film.

I'm guessing no lower than £200, £250 if we're lucky I expect.

Soldato
I'm thinking more around the £300 - £350, possibly up to the £500 mark. When you think about the cost of high end video cards, a total immersion experience will be marketed as a high end addon i think. But should come down if it takes off. The dev units were £300 right?

Soldato
3/400 quid.

Tbh i listen to an awfull lot of podcasts, not once iv'e heard a negative beyond a personal gripe from those that have been hands on with the thing.

For me currently the only thing in gaming hardware, software or otherwise thats got me looking forward to it.

Bring it on.

Back
Top Bottom