Poll: Official 2023 Hungarian Grand Prix Thread - Hungaroring, Budapest - Round 12

Rate the Hungarian race out of ten

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
It's not the same, when Mercedes were dominant there were still 2 drivers fighting for wins and championships.
It's pretty much the same. "Fighting" is going a bit far for what they were doing most races. Bottas was definitely a number 2 driver and treated as such.
People are happy when their guy or their team is winning. Just so happens it's not their team winning.
I stopped watching for a period during the Mercedes dominance, I never did during the Ferrari dominance but that was when I was in full F1 geek-mode. :D I'm happier watching at the moment, as Alonso has been doing alright but will see how I feel next season. The American entertainment aspect is a big turn-off.

Associate
It's not the same, when Mercedes were dominant there were still 2 drivers fighting for wins and championships.
Definitely the same. Right now it might be more like the Bottas era, but even with Rosberg, the fights were minimal.

At least for this generation we’re seeing more teams getting their cars competitive, whereas previously it was just Max dragging that RB to the front.

Much more exciting era than the Hamilton run. Him and Rosberg were always so miserable - much prefer the more positive attitude across the grid now.

Caporegime
It's pretty much the same. "Fighting" is going a bit far for what they were doing most races. Bottas was definitely a number 2 driver and treated as such.
People are happy when their guy or their team is winning. Just so happens it's not their team winning.
I stopped watching for a period during the Mercedes dominance, I never did during the Ferrari dominance but that was when I was in full F1 geek-mode. :D I'm happier watching at the moment, as Alonso has been doing alright but will see how I feel next season. The American entertainment aspect is a big turn-off.

There were a few boring years in the Merc dominance, but we did at least have Ham vs Rosberg, and then the Ferrari's and Vettel competing as well for a bit.

My main frustration is that Red Bull don't have a 2nd driver that appears to be able to come anywhere close to Max.

This level of dominance is very high, considering they have won every race this season so far. They have already surpassed Mercedes with consecutive wins, and if we are all honest, unless Max's car explodes, he is most likely going to win every race this season.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I feel like if you didn't get some enjoyment out of this race, modern F1 is probably not for you. With Pérez and Russell coming through the field, the undulating pace of Hamilton and Piastri, and quite a bit of variation in pitstop tactics there was stuff happening throughout.

Ordinary race, a little on the less interesting side but not exceptionally dull. 5/10.

Last edited:
Associate
I'm a fairly recent f1 subscriber, so I come in here most races to try and get some insight to things I might miss out not understand as a noob.

What i get from these threads mostly is the same people every week.
Boring, pointless, more fun watching paint dry. Turned it off, fell asleep, going to stop watching and start watching xyz instead.

STOP WATCHING IT THEN!!!
I see so many people (not just on here) saying it's boring etc mostly, but not all, seem to be Mercedes/Lewis fans. It does look to me like they don't enjoy the sport unless their driver is in the lead. I enjoy every race for the sport itself, the level of skill of the drivers and the tech that goes into it all. I'm a McLaren fan and have been since the 80's and from a fan side i hope McLaren are finally going in the right direction to fight for the championships but still enjoyed the racing when they were at the back

Soldato
Good luck to red bull, they’ve done extremely well etc yeah Max is a brilliant driver blah blah . The problem is that doesn’t change the fact that a racing spectacle barely exists.
The whole of the rest of the season is still to come and yet it doesn’t seem to matter.
For whatever reason the rules and regulations have resulted in cars that do not race well.
The hard fact is that the race was a procession for the most part and the same applied at silverstone by and large.

Soldato
I'm a fairly recent f1 subscriber, so I come in here most races to try and get some insight to things I might miss out not understand as a noob.

What i get from these threads mostly is the same people every week.
Boring, pointless, more fun watching paint dry. Turned it off, fell asleep, going to stop watching and start watching xyz instead.

STOP WATCHING IT THEN!!!
As a dyed in the wool f1 aficionado since before time began I reserve the right to express my opinion.
When McLaren won 11 in a row that was boring too. I think that was the time of the Prost, Senna controversy so at least the top team had two extremely good drivers.
Perez is a journeyman at best so his drive yesterday was all due to the car. I think red bull should have employed the best second driver they could get, but they didn’t want any real competition in the team.
IMO the only suitable candidate at the moment is Alonso. Every other driver bar Lewis would get destroyed.

Soldato
I see so many people (not just on here) saying it's boring etc mostly, but not all, seem to be Mercedes/Lewis fans. It does look to me like they don't enjoy the sport unless their driver is in the lead. I enjoy every race for the sport itself, the level of skill of the drivers and the tech that goes into it all. I'm a McLaren fan and have been since the 80's and from a fan side i hope McLaren are finally going in the right direction to fight for the championships but still enjoyed the racing when they were at the back
It's boring because you just know max is going to win every race easily now, as others said, at least when Ham/Merc was dominating it wasn't guaranteed that Ham would win every race, there was always someone else a lot closer in the mix.

Associate
I gave it a 4/10, mainly because having seen the overtake on the first corner it secured me a 90 minute nap safe in the knowledge I would know who won :p

Associate
Not sure I really understand Horner describing Perez's drive as both 'brave' and a 'statement' drive. Max won from 10th on the grid here last year in a car that wasn't as far ahead of the pack as the current one is...

Sergio started 9th and finished 3rd in a car that has won every race this season - and only overtook 2 cars on track, the rest were all in pitstops. Is that really brave and a statement drive??

Last edited:
Caporegime
Not sure I really understand Horner describing Perez's drive as both 'brave' and a 'statement' drive. Max won from 10th on the grid here last year in a car that wasn't as far ahead of the pack as the current one is...

Because he wants to build up, and support, his driver. Slagging off his driver isn't going to help get the best out of Pérez.

Soldato
More of “Please Dr. Marko, let me finish the season.” drive.

Checo’s problem is that, if he’s being given a car identical to Max’s, he should be be qualifying P2 on Saturday and finish second on Sunday barring equipment failures or incidents that weren’t his fault.

Soldato
Because he wants to build up, and support, his driver. Slagging off his driver isn't going to help get the best out of Pérez.
Might be worth someone having a word with Helmut then...

We've had the "it was boring when Hamilton was winning" arguments a million times and other posters on here have already provided the stats to prove it otherwise. When was the last time Perez and Max had a race like this or this for the lead and/or championship? Face it, the week before we were talking about the resurgence of McLaren, this weekend they finished 30-odd seconds behind Max.

It does look to me like they don't enjoy the sport unless their driver is in the lead. I enjoy every race for the sport itself, the level of skill of the drivers and the tech that goes into it all.
I suspect for most, it'd be easier to appreciate RB's car design etc. if there weren't so many stains on their reputation.

Soldato
Yeah so 1988 was a completely different type of season to this one Senna and Prost fought tooth and nail for the championship and there were various contretemps as the season went on, the following season was even more controversial despite McLaren dominating again.
So basically how anyone can compare the two is beyond belief.

In the indycar last night Penske had a dominant car but their three drivers who are all top notch to say the least also fought tooth and nail. That’s what creates a spectacle not Max pounding around 20 seconds up the road guessing who’s ring tone he can hear in the background.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom