Poll: Official 2024 Australian Grand Prix Race Thread - Albert Park, Melbourne - Race 3/24

Rate the Aussie race out of ten

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
Saudi-Header-Custom.jpg

Melbourne

When was the track built?

The deal to host Formula 1 in Melbourne was done in 1993, with the decision taken to create a circuit using a mixture of the existing roads around the city’s Albert Park – mainly Aughtie Drive and Lakeside Drive if you fancy driving it yourself – with a little detour through the Lakeside Stadium’s car park.

When was its first Grand Prix?

Just four months after Adelaide held its last Australian Grand Prix at the end of 1995, the Formula 1 teams were back in Australia for Melbourne's first Grand Prix at the start of 1996. That race is most often remembered for Martin Brundle’s infamous Jordan crash at Turn 3 after he launched himself off the back of Johnny Herbert’s Sauber.

What’s the circuit like?

As a temporary facility, Albert Park can be quite bumpy - though resurfacing for 2022 will no doubt improve matters - while the circuit at the start of the weekend is often slippery, rubbering in as the sessions progress. It’s also a circuit that requires a well-sorted chassis, with several spots on the track where the drivers require a reactive front end to allow them to chuck it into a corner. Melbourne is also one of the faster tracks on the calendar, with Lewis Hamilton’s 2019 pole lap set at an average of over 235km/h.

Why go?

Often found on lists of the world’s best cities, Melbourne is a blast all year round – and it only gets better when Formula 1 rolls into town. There are bars and restaurants aplenty, you’re right by the beach, while the race’s appearance at the start of Australia’s autumn means the temperatures should be peachy.

Schedule Information & TV Broadcast Times (F1, F2 & F3

Saudi-2023-Full-Schedule.png

Channel 4 Highlights - Broadcast Times

Saturday 23rd March 2024 - Australian Grand Prix Qualifying Highlights - 10:15AM
Sunday 24th March 2024 - Australian Grand Prix Race Highlights - 13:30PM

Track Diagram & Information

Saudi-Circuit-Map.png

Weather Forecast

Jeddah-weather.png

Previous Race Highlights

Championship Standings

Saudi-Standings.png

Just a reminder, but consider it a warning - can we not have any further derogatory name calling of drivers, team bosses and the like. We don't expect you to like every driver/team, but at least keep comments respectful.

If you don't follow this warning, you will lose access to the race thread and the thread for the following race as well.

This includes but is not limited to such terms including Lulu, Crashstappen, Karen Horner, Whingey Spice etc.

Last edited:
Soldato
The F1 YouTube channel uploaded some extended highlights of the 2003 race the other day, which were an entertaining watch:

Soldato
I have to admit I won't be getting up for the qualy and race at 5am and 4am, respectively. Will just watch the replays / highlights.

Associate
I like the track and never mind an early start, get more of the day to enjoy afterwards :) Will be up bright and early for qualifying and the race.

Associate
It's a pretty boring track imo, no elevation changes, no interesting camber on the corners.

Im convinced lots of people have a soft spot for it simply because its the first track most people learned in the F1 games :D

Last edited:
Soldato
It's a pretty boring track imo, no elevation changes, no interesting camber on the corners.

Im convinced lots of people have a soft spot for it simply because its the first track most people learned in the F1 games :D
Speak for yourself, I first watched a aussie race in 1985. Geoff Crammonds Formula One Grand Prix came out in 1991, for those who remember what was one of the best ever PC F1 games...:D

Associate
Need someone to full send with Verstappen at T1, crazy to say, but that's the only way we will have an interesting race at the front, otherwise random mechanical or engine failure needed. I don't think I'll get up early for this race as there's no motivation to do so at this point.

seeing a competitive race for the win, hits different to any other scenario in F1. Can spin it however you like, but I don't enjoy the racing for other positions anywhere near as much. Even better if you have no idea who will actually win the race.

I regret my F1 TV Pro purchase :cry: but holding out a slight glimmer of hope some team finds something to at least take Perez out of the P2 equation permanently for the season. If he's competitive I know the car is on rails.

Soldato
will watch the practice on catchup, will watch qualifying and the race dont mind the early start just leaves the rest of the day free , even more so if its not good

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom