Poll: Official 2024 Australian Grand Prix Race Thread - Albert Park, Melbourne - Race 3/24

Rate the Aussie race out of ten

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
Saudi-Header-Custom.jpg

Melbourne

When was the track built?

The deal to host Formula 1 in Melbourne was done in 1993, with the decision taken to create a circuit using a mixture of the existing roads around the city’s Albert Park – mainly Aughtie Drive and Lakeside Drive if you fancy driving it yourself – with a little detour through the Lakeside Stadium’s car park.

When was its first Grand Prix?

Just four months after Adelaide held its last Australian Grand Prix at the end of 1995, the Formula 1 teams were back in Australia for Melbourne's first Grand Prix at the start of 1996. That race is most often remembered for Martin Brundle’s infamous Jordan crash at Turn 3 after he launched himself off the back of Johnny Herbert’s Sauber.

What’s the circuit like?

As a temporary facility, Albert Park can be quite bumpy - though resurfacing for 2022 will no doubt improve matters - while the circuit at the start of the weekend is often slippery, rubbering in as the sessions progress. It’s also a circuit that requires a well-sorted chassis, with several spots on the track where the drivers require a reactive front end to allow them to chuck it into a corner. Melbourne is also one of the faster tracks on the calendar, with Lewis Hamilton’s 2019 pole lap set at an average of over 235km/h.

Why go?

Often found on lists of the world’s best cities, Melbourne is a blast all year round – and it only gets better when Formula 1 rolls into town. There are bars and restaurants aplenty, you’re right by the beach, while the race’s appearance at the start of Australia’s autumn means the temperatures should be peachy.

Schedule Information & TV Broadcast Times (F1, F2 & F3

Saudi-2023-Full-Schedule.png

Channel 4 Highlights - Broadcast Times

Saturday 23rd March 2024 - Australian Grand Prix Qualifying Highlights - 10:15AM
Sunday 24th March 2024 - Australian Grand Prix Race Highlights - 13:30PM

Track Diagram & Information

Saudi-Circuit-Map.png

Weather Forecast

Jeddah-weather.png

Previous Race Highlights

Championship Standings

Saudi-Standings.png

Just a reminder, but consider it a warning - can we not have any further derogatory name calling of drivers, team bosses and the like. We don't expect you to like every driver/team, but at least keep comments respectful.

If you don't follow this warning, you will lose access to the race thread and the thread for the following race as well.

This includes but is not limited to such terms including Lulu, Crashstappen, Karen Horner, Whingey Spice etc.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
Interesting start; F3 practice - one driver looks like he's gone a step further than Vettel did in Baku (tapping Hamilton in rage) - Tsolov looking like he's pushed a guy into the wall; its like me playing F1 23

Man of Honour
OP
Wasn't massively more exciting despite Verstappen going out early to be honest; nice for Ferrari and in particular Sainz to get the win though after all he's been through so far this season!

Mercedes look horrendous; I can see why Hamilton wants out, he clearly has lost faith that they can turn it around for 2026; never mind Toto's job on the line, if they don't start at the front in 2026 I suspect the Mercedes Exec in Stuttgart might start looking at why they're funding a team that's mid-field.

Perez looks poor although personally I think its showing that Max is just a far better driver, getting more out of that car than Perez is able to.

One of these weekends I want to see McLaren on that top step!!

As for next season I'll be staggered if Sainz doesn't turn up at Audi/Sauber given its been rumoured for about two years but if not I think much will depend on Alonso - he would be a good replacement at Aston

Man of Honour
OP
If driver's can't navigate that under VSC they're going too fast, and I'd assume every team got on the radio to their driver with specific instructions/warnings as well. I do wish the director had a direct feed to the drivers like in Formula E though.

Also, a red flag wouldn't have made much difference, the drivers still have to return to pits. I don't think F1 has a "stop on track" signal?

In the circumstance I think a VSC was the right call; slows them down immediately; as you say there's no "stop on track" signal in F1 although a VSC quickly followed by Red might have been best

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom