Poll: Official 2024 Australian Grand Prix Race Thread - Albert Park, Melbourne - Race 3/24

Rate the Aussie race out of ten

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Albon said afterwards that he didn't fully recover until after the season was over. Probably should have skipped that next race and recovered fully instead. The current calendar is absolutely brutal.
I'm not surised, going through what he did wass far greater than Sainz has. I had major abdominal surgery in the past, seven hours on the operating table and for me, being unfit compared to these guys, it took me well over a year to recover, possible two to be totally 100%. But that was extreme compared to what Sainz and Albon went through.
But then I was daft, day after getting out of hospital I went for a drive and washed the car, whilst still attached to more than one bag, not dignified but saved having to get up at night for a pee.
Probably too much detail :rolleyes: :cry:

Doctors will have assessed Sainz fit..

Last edited:
Soldato
Of course, but that doesn't mean its smart. Sainz obviously a less serious situation, but I do wonder whether the sport needs to protect drivers from themselves sometimes - was it really a good idea for Stroll to be in that car at the start of last season for example?
But it isn't Sainz decision, he'll have to go before not only the team doctor but the FIA's as well and pass a series of tests. If he's fit then he's fit..

Caporegime
But it isn't Sainz decision, he'll have to go before not only the team doctor but the FIA's as well and pass a series of tests. If he's fit then he's fit..

But it is Sainz's decision, to a large extent; you can see that from his comments about it. Sure, the FIA will ban him at some point of fitness; but given they let Stroll drive when he couldn't even hold the wheel with both hands round the entire lap I'm not sure that their standards are particularly exacting; and, sure, Ferrari's own doctors will stop him driving at some point as well. But I think it's fairly obvious that these are pretty lax standards.

Soldato
I was reading a quote from Norris about his back pain in this current gen of cars. I said it in the first year but it looks so harsh on the body, I think the FIA and sport need to be careful what they're doing to the drivers.

EDIT: Something like this; https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/n...ssues-aggravated-by-current-f1-cars/10519383/

He can't be the only one. I can't imagine having to sit in a car setup to drive as close to the ground as possible, with as little wasted on 'comfort' as possible, in such a seated position.. It just sounds awful if you think about it. Another reason why ground effect sucks.

Soldato
But it is Sainz's decision, to a large extent; you can see that from his comments about it. Sure, the FIA will ban him at some point of fitness; but given they let Stroll drive when he couldn't even hold the wheel with both hands round the entire lap I'm not sure that their standards are particularly exacting; and, sure, Ferrari's own doctors will stop him driving at some point as well. But I think it's fairly obvious that these are pretty lax standards.
Yet nothing untoward happened in Stroll's case and his hand movement improved over the course of the race weekend and scored points by taking 6th place.
https://www.topgear.com/car-news/fo...als-how-he-scored-f1-points-two-broken-wrists

They're not wimps and they're not built the same as you and I.

Caporegime
Oh, there's no doubting their fitness nor their mental and physical toughness. Clearly they can race under these circumstances; but that's not the question, the question is whether they should. Stroll did, indeed, get through the race. But what would have happened if he'd been in an incident? Just because something comes out okay; doesn't mean that it was safe.

Last edited:
Soldato
Oh, there's not doubting their fitness nor their mental and physical toughness. Clearly they can race under these circumstances; but that's not the question, the question is whether they should. Stroll did, indeed, get through the race. But what would have happened if he'd been in an incident? Just because something comes out okay; doesn't mean that it was safe.
A debate for another day me thinks?
At least they won't be told off by a district nurse like I was :cry:

Last edited:
Soldato
Sainz himself has said he isn't 100% (surprise surprise). I think it was Perez years ago for Sauber that had that big crash at Monaco and then 2 weeks later did FP1 Canada before deciding he needed a bit more time. I remember thinking it was brave of him to call it.
He also stated he isn't stupid and wouldn't race if he felt he was unable to and "that It’s not like I’ll be 100 per cent for it because obviously I’ve been 10 days in bed – not 10 days training and going to the simulator and preparing for a normal weekend" https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/1...alian-gp-if-he-does-not-feel-good-in-practice
He's not that daft it seems and neither are the people around him.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
Interesting start; F3 practice - one driver looks like he's gone a step further than Vettel did in Baku (tapping Hamilton in rage) - Tsolov looking like he's pushed a guy into the wall; its like me playing F1 23

Caporegime
Antonelli's improvement in F2 continues with P2 in quali. I'm expecting good points from him this weekend, and Bearman's back to Earth with a bump down in P16.

Interesting start; F3 practice - one driver looks like he's gone a step further than Vettel did in Baku (tapping Hamilton in rage) - Tsolov looking like he's pushed a guy into the wall; its like me playing F1 23

Judged to be unintentional by the stewards and given a 3 place penalty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom