Official 2024 Indycar Season Thread

Soldato
Basically I think this weekend was added to the calendar to fill an otherwise 6 week gap between races in the calendar (believe they lost a race in Texas they wanted in the slot), it's really a glorified Test weekend with a bit of a race thing tacked on.

The final is 20 laps with a halftime break after 10 laps lol. Going by the heats Palou is gonna win it Verstappen style with his pipe and slippers on unless he gets involved in a crash!

Associate
Interesting strategies at play due to this mid race "Break".

Herta just trundling along during the first half which is worth nothing. Saving fuel and tyres, other drivers following suit. Why push when not needed?

Not been thought through this has it haha.

Soldato
Who thought this was a good idea?! Yeah split the race up into 2 sections where the first section means nothing and we bunch the field back up for the second, what did they expect to happen?!

Associate
Well that was an absolutely awful and pointless event. Thank god NASCAR at COTA is on now, usually delivers.

Hoping SVG can go one better than his second place finish in the xfinity race yesterday.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
A really poor spectacle; as others have said felt like an ad for the "Thermal Club" a lot of the time. Seems to me like it was effectively a test session (they've had about 8 hours of testing across Friday and Sat) with an exhibition race tacked on the end.
Ah well a month until Long Beach; at least that should be a proper race!

Man of Honour
OP
Forgot that Theo Pourchaire was making his Indycar debut this weekend for Arrow McLaren; replacing the injured (still) David Malukas.
Calum Illott had been standing in but he's on WEC duty at Imola this weekend

Soldato
Should be a good race today, proper decent circuit. See who ends up going gardening by the fountain :p

Watching the anthem and wonder how long it'll be before F1 starts having the girlfriends and wives on the grid with the drivers! I guess most of them don't do the circuit round the world like these races all being in the States.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
Should be a good race today, proper decent circuit. See who ends up going gardening by the fountain :p

Watching the anthem and wonder how long it'll be before F1 starts having the girlfriends and wives on the grid with the drivers! I guess most of them don't do the circuit round the world like these races all being in the States.

Give it until Miami!

Soldato
I had to give up watching it. The 10 second or so offset between the audio and video made it unwatchable.

I want to enjoy IndyCar, but I also want the quality of the program not be rubbish.

Man of Honour
OP
I had to give up watching it. The 10 second or so offset between the audio and video made it unwatchable.

I want to enjoy IndyCar, but I also want the quality of the program not be rubbish.

Lol I actually thought the audio delay was down to how I was watching it; didn't realise it was like that on Sky as well!

Last edited:
Soldato
Drama at Team Penske.

Josef Newgarden & Scott McLaughlin have been disqualified from St. Petersburg & Will Power has been docked 10 points for push to pass infringements. Pato O'Ward picks up the win.

Newgarden and McLaughlin used push to pass when it wasn't allowed, Will Power didn't use it hence the lesser penalty. I can see this one rumbling on for a while.

Last edited:
Soldato
Interesting that they were also charged with manipulating data, presumably to hide the use from the telemetry, though the use also shows up on the dash which would have been picked up by the cameras.

The use was only discovered during the first practice session for Long Beach when the Push to Pass kill switch was engaged but the Penske cars still had it available.

Back
Top Bottom