Poll: Official 2024 Miami Grand Prix Race Thread - Miami International Autodrome - Race 6/24

Rate the Miami race out of ten

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Associate
time for a new girlfriend maybe?

55.6 The safety car will join the track with its orange lights illuminated and will do so regardless of where the leader is.

so what happened in essence was Lando was 11.3 seconds infront of Max, this meant that he was already past the SC when it was deployed on track to collect Max. just a quirk of the rules and luck on lando's part with his poistioning on track at the time

Soldato
The safety car scenario was pretty straightforward it came out just as Lando was passing the pit exit but in front of P2 slowing all the otthers cars down, thus it looked like Lando had a 30 sec lead. So to resolve it under the conditions it had been brought out for the decision was made to allow all other cars to overtake the safety car keeping their positions to come up behind Lando, who then came up behind the safety car.
I think the FIA might want to look at if a second safety car is required positioned halfway around the track.
However it all seemed to go smoothly and effectively.

Last edited:
Associate
Was it? I may have missed it in the coverage but I thought he'd already done his pitstop when it picked up Max so all it did was give everyone else a fast lap to prevent them being lapped and as I think Brundle said, keep their tyres warm. If it had been further ahead it would have picked up Lando after his stop so same positions no?
Nah, the safety car deployed between Lando and Max after Lando had passed T1 whilst Max was still on the final corner so it was too late to pickup Lando - but could pick up Max and the rest of the pack.

It was pretty strange with the timing of the safety car release - but I think looking at the track map they didn't quite have enough time between calling the safety car and having it out in time to cover Lando at the front. So it picks up Max and the pack behind him, meaning Lando finishes a complete lap under safety car delta (not behind the safety car) and can pit and still come out comfortably ahead of the entire pack (which is still behind the safety car).

You can see it better from Sargent's onboard where Lando goes past with the safety car just behind him. It was incredibly close to being a disaster for McLaren, if Lando is any slower then the safety car is in front of him and he's slowed for a whole lap before pitting and then comes out near the back. Genuinely a few seconds in it.

Caporegime
I asked my girlfriend who was engrossed in her phone what happened, she just looked at me and shrugged :p

Dumpable offence, tbh.

55.6 The safety car will join the track with its orange lights illuminated and will do so regardless of where the leader is.

Has this been changed? Didn't they use to pass the safety car until it picked up the leader and then form up behind them?

Soldato
Thanks guys. So because the SC didn’t pick up Norris, he did his stop *and* held track position? Whereas if Max and the pack were bunched up behind him he’d obviously lose track position?

Soldato
Voting paints a picture for this race.

Aside from Lando winning it was a fairly average race imo with far less overtaking than there has been at the last few races.

Just goes to show how people here vote though :(

Why does people voting high because a driver they like got their first win make you sad?

Associate

Aside from Lando winning it was a fairly average race imo with far less overtaking than there has been at the last few races.

It was a close race throughout though which was what made it more enjoyable for me, regardless of Lando winning.

It was obviously nice for someone other than Max to win a race and that will for sure have impacted the vote - but I really enjoyed how close Piastri and Leclerc were for the entire first stint or Hamilton and Perez in the second stint. Enjoyable close racing is always good to watch vs. DRS overtakes or tyre advantage overtakes.

Caporegime
It was 8/10 race for me. There were battles and action throughout, it was close run between various drivers, and watching and hoping Lando didn't stuff it up added tension to the end of the race. It's not a great track, but it was a decent race. Lando getting his first win is the cherry on top.

Associate

A large part of this forum seem to be mostly fans of 1 or 2 drivers versus fans of F1 i.e. they vote on how their driver did regardless of whether the racing was good or not.

I gave it a bonus point for Lando winning, but it's a dull track and cars seemed to struggle more than normal with overtakes. Personally, voting a 9 or 10 out of 10 is almost impossible/incredibly rare, I can't see how this could be higher than 7.

Commissario
Surely the whole point of voting is to rate the grand Prix as a whole not just because your favourite driver wins or doesnt
That'll never happen. If a driver that someone likes does well, that person will rate it higher. It's human nature.

I always used to vote a five so I couldn't be accused of bias but now I just use the extra option I've been adding to see the results.

Associate
As I mentioned previously I personally enjoyed the race and result but I didn't vote either way as I felt it wouldn't be an unbiased vote, that and I haven't voted on all the others to compare against. That being said I have no problem if people took more enjoyment and decide to vote it higher as at the end of the day that's a valid opinion.

If you take 2 hours out of your life to see a film and the story is pretty meh but you enjoy the spectacle and fell you got value for money/time then is it a good or a bad film?

Soldato
Because we've had exciting races before where the majority vote <5 just because Max has won.
But was him not winning actually a possibility in those races? I doubt it. Hence the low vote.

You can give points for midfield battles, points for your favourite driver winning, but the thing that’ll give the most points is clearly a good/real race for P1. Although Lando was building a gap, there was genuine peril for him actually bringing it home. The only way it could have been higher is if they’d gone wheel to wheel for the last 20 laps. But this is modern F1 and that rarely happens.

Associate
The voting scores are hilarious.
Unsure if its Lando's first win or because its a win not for MV.
I am unsure if we would have the same scores if Sainz won again.

The race itself was quite dull and boring.
Am I happy to see Lando win, well yeah who wouldn't be?
Am I going to let it judge a weekend based on that fact alone? Nope.
Race was a 4.

Soldato
Lando was 4th place before the pit stops. For example on LAP23:

1: VER interval
2: PIA +3.604
3: SAI +6.267
4: NOR +9.547

Then everyone had pit except him and it was like this on LAP 28:

1: NOR interval
2: VER +11.538
3: LEC +2.785
4: PIA +1.092
5: SAI +2.933
6: PER +8.777
7: TSU +3.167
8: ZHO +11.643

So Norris would have come out with the usual approximately 20 second time loss in the pits. This would have put him back down in about 6th place probably just coming back out ahead of Perez.
But then the safety car picked up Max (not Lando who came out the pits as leader) and on LAP 30 it looked like this as Lando came into the pits:

2: VER +31.955
4: PIA +1.170

Then the SC pulled over and let the whole pack go through and up to the back of Lando and then they all came round back behind the SC again I believe. In any case, Lando gained massively as he went from what would have been 6th/5th at best, to 1st.

This is why I was referring to it as a "bit of a fake win". No it's not trolling. I'm just pointing out it was massively helped by SC. Yes he held off Max which was still very impressive, but he's not beaten them on pure performance. He's got ahead due to SC and Max could not follow on this track in the dirty air.

Soldato
Lando was 4th place before the pit stops. For example on LAP23:

1: VER interval
2: PIA +3.604
3: SAI +6.267
4: NOR +9.547

Then everyone had pit except him and it was like this on LAP 28:

2: VER +11.538
4: PIA +1.092
5: SAI +2.933
6: PER +8.777
7: TSU +3.167
8: ZHO +11.643

So Norris would have come out with the usual approximately 20 second time loss in the pits. This would have put him back down in about 6th place probably just coming back out ahead of Perez.
But then the safety car picked up Max (not Lando who came out the pits as leader) and on LAP 30 it looked like this as Lando came into the pits:

2: VER +31.955
4: PIA +1.170

Then the SC pulled over and let the whole pack go through and up to the back of Lando and then they all came round back behind the SC again I believe. In any case, Lando gained massively as he went from what would have been 6th/5th at best, to 1st.

This is why I was referring to it as a "bit of a fake win". No it's not trolling. I'm just pointing out it was massively helped by SC. Yes he held off Max which was still very impressive, but he's not beaten them on pure performance. He's got ahead due to SC and Max could not follow on this track in the dirty air.
Your post is missing one thing...

Max was 2nd at the restart, a car length or more behind lando at the restart and finished 11 plus seconds behind him in a far superior car....

Few races ago max was in a similar position and flew past whoever was 1st within a couple of laps.

Actually it was against Hamilton in the sprint race in Japan...

Sorry but norris wasn't lucky.

His car on the day was faster than max. End of

Back
Top Bottom