**Official Asus A8N-SLI Premium Thread**

Soldato
Stick in the mobo CD, browse CD from explorer and navigate to: \Drivers\Chipset\WINXP_2K\Driver_Disk, stick in a blank formated floppy and double click the makedisk file.

Associate
Dazza: yea, i've seen that too and i do have the premium installed in the v1100 lian-li case. And yes, it's possible to take the pipe out. I removed it and put my koolance water block in. That takes care of the inverted heat pipe overheating problem.

Kenneth

dazza121 said:
to all - just received this mail back from asus support regarding mounting the board in an inverted case (my lian li v1000 to be specific)

To:[email protected]
Date:2005-08-12 22:39:20

Thank you for contacting Asus United KingdomTechnical Support.

There is an issue when using this case, I am afraid it will have to be placed in another chassis to avoid the overheating issue.

Regards

Asus UK Technical Support

Great support these guys offer !

Associate
ohh ops... that's right, i haven't done anything to them ! :) i think i'll put some ram sink on them. One can cover 3 of them. That would work right?

Kenneth
dazza121 said:
s1301950

what did you do about the mosfets that sit under the heatsink of the heatpipe ?

Thanks

Dazza

Associate
Got a RAID0 question - i already have two identical HDs (maxtor 250G) One on primary ide, and the other on a promise 133 ide controller (because i think the secondary ide doesn't do 133).

My question is
do both hard drives need to be on the same ribbon? or
can i put the second hard drive on secondary (even though if it doesn't support 133) or
just leave it (one on primary ide, the other on the promise controller) as it is and set up raid 0

Another question is, there is already stuff on the HD, one with the OS installed. Can I leave the stuff in there ? or do i need to format both HDs to set up raid 0 (painful)

Thanks guys,
Kenneth

Associate
Rma'ing my board back

Hello all like a lot of people i have been experencing random shutdowns and freezing with this SLI PREMIUM BOARD!!!when playing DX9 games ie FEAR demo,HL2, BF2. Here what i posted on GURU3D with no answers and also i have been to the nvidia forums again with people having the same trouble.BF2/ FEAR demo freeze, MOH & Command & Conquer Generals ok.Benchmarks as you can see are fine.When these 2 games are played everything locks after about 3-5 mins play.Temps are ok, Fx55 fitted with the Asaka EVO hsf, both GT'S have Artic coolers fitted,temps for them around 55c -60c.My PSU is a Tagan 480w so theres plenty of juice there.Ive taken out the sound card, using onboard now in case of irq conflicts.Drivers 6.66 for mobo, 77.72 for cards , tried the 77.76 and 77.77's same problem, swapped out the memory same happens.Application controlled when using the settings for games.Last night had a clan match for MOH was playing for 5 hours+ with no problems.Windows was a fresh install when i put everything together.SLI ON/OFF makes no difference same happens. So im stuck people any help i would be very gratefull.
then i posted this 2nite not sure where it should be posted now!! lol
My second post:

Formatted the hard drive did a fresh install on xp -pro then updated to sp2 through the cd which i had.Then when i installed ZONE-ALARM the PC rebooted, when it returned i had the 'serious error' message come up looked at it .IT was the same error message i got when i keep getting booted and frozen from BF2 and the Fear demo.But this time round i hadnt even installed any drivers for anything no chipset,gfx card or sound card.The recovery console game me this error: 'LOCALS1\TEMP\WER6FIE.DIR001\MINI081105-01DMP' AND
'LOCALS1\TEMP\WER6FIE.DIR001\SYSTEMDATA\XM
all i was told on screen that it was a driver error but couldnt tell me with what device but since i hadnt installed any drivers whats the cause???

this is another forum member posting the same problem: and if you go on to the ASUS support forum there are over 20 replies to a thread on this from people having the same problems
EG OF A POST AND HIS SPECS, ALL HARDWARE DIFFERENT EXCEPT MOBO!!!
I have just set up my new system and i need some help. Everything seem to be running real nice untill i start playing games. sometimes the system just randomly shuts down, no warning and no error message when i re boot. everthing seems to be a an ok temp CPU around 45c and the graphics cards 55c but it keeps happening. Anybody got ant ideas why?? THIS IS

SYSTEM
ASUS A8N SLI PREMIUM
2X GTX 7800 IN SLI
AMD FX57
HYPER 48 COOLER
2 X 74 RAPTORS IN RAID 0
2X 512MB OZ PLATUIM PC4800 MEM

Last edited:
Caporegime
TBH a 480W power supply with that system is far from 'plenty of juice', anyone with a rig like that should have a 600W enermax or similar.

If I was you I would try removing one of the GTX's and see if it still locks with only one card. :)

Last edited:
Associate
I second that. Just two 7800 GTX are already enough to swamp your system.

Kenneth
mmj_uk said:
TBH a 480W power supply with that system is far from 'plenty of juice', anyone with a rig like that should have a 600W enermax or similar.

If I was you I would try removing one of the GTX's and see if it still locks with only one card. :)

Associate
sorry guys a bit of confusion here, thats not my system specs thats the other guy who posted a problem the same as me.My specs are
FX 55
2 X 6800 gt's ( both fitted with Artic coolers)
1 gig of OCZ rev 3 3700 ram
1x Raptor
Audigy 2 sound card
Asus SLI premium board
Tagan 480w (28A down the 12v rail)
according to the Asus manual( page 2-26) it does say this sort of spec only requires a 400W with 20A on the 12volt rail, so i do have plenty of juice!! lol
But i have tried a 600W enermax which i bought yesterday from OC's but still have the same problem so im sending that back too. The guys specs who i did list on my thread as a 580w hiper type r psu so i think hes ok.But as i said in my orginal thread please go and see the Asus support forum and you will see loads of other people with thesame problem who cannont find a cause.I listed the other guys stuff to show same board same problem but with other hardware fitted. sorry again for the confusion.

Associate
I have the same freezes in games like Painkiller and BF2, but it happens after about 20mins to 2 hours of playing. Has never crashed in other games like UT2004.
And I do have an Enermax 600w psu.

Associate
monster pc m8 good stuff.Ok we have an issue here whats the problem then Windows conflicts?? cant seeing it being an harware issue other then a motherboard conflict .Oh yes i have updated the bios to 1007-002 same problems and using 6.66 nforce drivers. lets have some answers please??? i beg u all fed up of 2 weeks of installing-reinstalling software and buying hardware i dont need.Gonna go back to ABIT i think. this is my first and very much last Asus mobo.

Associate
80.40 forceware stopped the freezing but they had a lot of glitches like polygon flashing and Splinter Cell 3 wouldn't start with them. So I think the freezes wil stop in the 80.xx forceware (when they ever get released).

Soldato
I would suggest removing the second GTX, and removing graphics drivers from add/remove, then do a driver cleaner run in safe mode to purge it all, then re-installing the drivers with just the one card in place.
If this cures it, it leads to SLi issues as you have /or have tried a decent 600W PSU.
If all is well with one card, then its either SLi or even possibly mobo issues.

I am running just one GTX, A644000 @ fx55 and 2GB mem, audigy 2, DVDRW, CDRW 2 hard drives in raid 0 on this mobo with an Enermax 600W PSU, and have no stability issues at all (drivers are 6.66 and 77.72).

Last edited:
Permabanned
sumang007 said:
My HTT is at 300 at the moment (8 x 300). Had to up the HTT and chipset volts a tiny bit to stabilise it, as I was getting boot lockups. I'm hopefully gonna try for 325MHz at some point... :D

Suman

Hi just looking at what you wrote.

Could you post your settings of bios.

My rig sometimes takes 3-4 time to get to desk top, something not right?????

Cheers

Associate
Simon D said:
Freezing in games, I had this problem, I solved it by turning off PEG link mode in the bios
Just tried that and still freezes:(
The thing is that some games have never crashed like UT2004 and Trackmania Sunrise.. Someone told me it might be heat because the cards get hotter in graphics intensive games like BF2 but I think this is rubbish because if you get say 50fps in BF2 in UT2004 you could get 150fps so surely the cards are working just as hard to get higher framerates in less demanding games?

Last edited:
Soldato
i have the A8N-SLI Premium mb.

looking at getting some new ram ideally wanted

2 x 1gb modules as from what i understand 4 x 512gb dont work...

anyone got any experience to advise on whats the best memory to get.

Back
Top Bottom