Official Crysis Demo thread

Soldato
Same here :D

kentsangkh, thanks for the file, but it didn't work. It's installed correctly because I can see a lot of difference, but my FPS has dropped through the floor, from about 25 down to 10-13. Im on Vista though (So DX10), and running an 8800GTS at 1280x1024.

I'm also using vista & mine dropped to 17 - 20 ish with his file lol :D

Soldato
Crysis (PC Games)

* Deliver to: Credit/debit Card Billing Address

£26.99

Packing

Cant Wait :D

i got this game for absolutely free, i have 40 pounds worth of discounts from GAME, about 3 years worth of unused saved up discounts iv received going to good use :cool:

I remember when the game "Primal" came out, (god was it good), and i got the collectors edition worth 52 pounds at the time, for only 3 pounds because of discounts, the man behind the counter was in shock, he had to go get the manager to see if i was alowed to do so, and i was :)

Associate
Same here :D

kentsangkh, thanks for the file, but it didn't work. It's installed correctly because I can see a lot of difference, but my FPS has dropped through the floor, from about 25 down to 10-13. Im on Vista though (So DX10), and running an 8800GTS at 1280x1024.

I'm also using vista & mine dropped to 17 - 20 ish with his file lol :D

so what fps did you get when running very high in dx10?

Associate
update**

found a way to get rid of the white glow around gun and improve the lighting

the white glow is mainly due to r_ssao_amount and r_ssao_radius

for r_ssao_radius i prefer to leave it at 2 for best result

change two commands:
r_ssao_amount=0.2
r_SSAO_darkening=3.6

this will lighten up a bit for the darkest area and darken the light shadow a bit and imo it is more realistic and it get rid of the white glow effect as well...so, give it a try and let me know how you gets on

Associate
in case you wonder what every command do, here is the explanation

r_ssao_quality=1
r_ssao_amount=0.2
r_SSAO_darkening=3.6
r_TerrainAO_FadeDist=1
r_HDRlevel=0.75
r_EyeAdaptationBase=0.2
improve the lighting by darkening the shahow and boost the hdr lighting a bit, no performance change for this part

r_ColorGradingDOF=0
q_ShaderShadow=1
boost extra fps for little/no image quality loss

r_ShadowJittering=1
r_ShadowBlur=0
e_gsm_lods_num=4
e_shadows_from_terrain_in_all_lods=0
e_shadows_max_texture_size=768
turned down shadow setting from very high and gain extra fps

r_TexturesStreaming=0
improved distant mountain texture, but would use extra system memory, no performance hit if you have enough memory (min 2GB)

r_UseEdgeAA=2
improve quality of distant trees with little/no performance hit

e_view_dist_ratio=45
e_particles_lod=0.7
e_vegetation_min_size=1.5
e_view_dist_ratio_vegetation=50
adjust the vegetation and particles setting to boost performance

r_VSync=1
d3d9_TripleBuffering=1
enable vsync to reduce tearing for no performance hit

Soldato
OP
update**

found a way to get rid of the white glow around gun and improve the lighting

the white glow is mainly due to r_ssao_amount and r_ssao_radius

for r_ssao_radius i prefer to leave it at 2 for best result

change two commands:
r_ssao_amount=0.2
r_SSAO_darkening=3.6

this will lighten up a bit for the darkest area and darken the light shadow a bit and imo it is more realistic and it get rid of the white glow effect as well...so, give it a try and let me know how you gets on

kentsangkh thankx for your reply ;)

What would happen if I only use your .cfg file with the standard CVar files?

Doing this is seems to give me better performance than using your cvars, I notice in the game graphics settings some are set to very high and some to custom. Am I missing out on any of your effects if I dont use your Cvars, I'm running a 8800GTX on vista so I already have all dx10 features enabled.

So what effects does you .cfg include?

Associate
kentsangkh thankx for your reply ;)

What would happen if I only use your .cfg file with the standard CVar files?

Doing this is seems to give me better performance than using your cvars, I notice in the game graphics settings some are set to very high and some to custom. Am I missing out on any of your effects if I dont use your Cvars, I'm running a 8800GTX on vista so I already have all dx10 features enabled.

So what effects does you .cfg include?

since i am running on xp, i cant set 'very high' in game, so i have to modify the files in CVars to get 'hacked' very high in dx9, which is almost the same as very high dx10, so i m not sure if my CVars files work in vista, you can check yours to see is there any differences to mine. i reckon for vista you should your original CVar files since there should be very high options there.

if i use the original files in CVar in xp, then i m doing high+my lighting tweak, of cos my very high features are missed out.

my System.cfg includes improved lighting, turned down some vegetation, particles and shawdows for fps boost, for details in what each command do, refer to my previous post

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
since i am running on xp, i cant set 'very high' in game, so i have to modify the files in CVars to get 'hacked' very high in dx9, which is almost the same as very high dx10, so i m not sure if my CVars files work in vista, you can check yours to see is there any differences to mine

if i use the original files in CVar in xp, then i m doing high+my lighting tweak, of cos my very high features are missed out.

my System.cfg includes improved lighting, turned down some vegetation, particles and shawdows for fps boost, for details in what each command do, refer to my previous post

Right o.k I think im with you.

Cvars are basicly Very high settings which I have as part of vista anyway.
.CFG's are your lighting tweak i.e Ultra High.

So if I just use your .cfg file am I right in thinking I will have your ultra high effects as well as very high shaders even though shaders are set to custom in settings, or will I need to set these to very high still?

Associate
Right o.k I think im with you.

Cvars are basicly Very high settings which I have as part of vista anyway.
.CFG's are your lighting tweak i.e Ultra High.

So if I just use your .cfg file am I right in thinking I will have your ultra high effects as well as very high shaders even though shaders are set to custom in settings, or will I need to set these to very high still?

yes you are right thinking this way

i didn't turn down any setting in shader except r_SSAO_quality=1 (default very high =2) 2 has darker effect but with loss of fps so i set it to 1 and tweak the lighting further with no fps loss. so you can see my lighting tweak as ultra high

Soldato
OP
yes you are right thinking this way

i didn't turn down any setting in shader except r_SSAO_quality=1 (default very high =2) 2 has darker effect but with loss of fps so i set it to 1 and tweak the lighting further with no fps loss. so you can see my lighting tweak as ultra high

If this is the case why does the shader setting default to custom when I use your .cfg file, bottom line is as long as im still getting very high shaders by using your .cfg file and standard cvars i'm happy.

Very nice config btw, think I will use this on the full game when I finally get it tomorrow. Cheer m8 and what took you so long to start posting :p

Suspended
nice settings, but they do cripple my x1800 256mb! The shaders look so nice in high but it givves a major performance hit. I can counter it by turning shadows to low but then it turns from a 3d world to a 2d one.

high shaders somehow adds 'depth' to the game and makes it feel so much more lifelike

kentsangkh -what settings do you recommend with my following system

X1800xt
x2 [email protected]
2gb gskill

post 2797 on page 94 shows the setting i use (standard game edited ones running in XP 1280x720)

cheers

Last edited:
Caporegime
How are people obtaining screenshots may I ask?

If you use the r_getscreenshot command it takes a picture of the console :p

And If I use the e_screenshot command, It always ends up being borked and miss aligned properly...

I can use the print screen button obviously...but that doesn't keep the gamma setting's etc you set in game.

Soldato
How are people obtaining screenshots may I ask?

If you use the r_getscreenshot command it takes a picture of the console :p

And If I use the e_screenshot command, It always ends up being borked and miss aligned properly...

I can use the print screen button obviously...but that doesn't keep the gamma setting's etc you set in game.

fraps?

Associate
I tried fraps & it was useless! I played Crysis for about 2 minutes before it locked up. I tried it with Team Fortress 2 & that was the same. Didn't record sound either despite the fact that I had enabled sound recording. Other people seem to get on okay with Fraps though. Not sure why I had so much trouble with it.

Back
Top Bottom