• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

***Official Ivybridge Overclock Thread***

Soldato
Lol no way would i pay £200 for a card. My max ever for a gfx card would be 120-130 and would be 2nd hand to make sure i got a strong card at a price i could get. Plus selling whatever card i have at the time before they go too cheap is another thing i do so it pays for half the new card i get. Least i try to.

Associate
Yeah I paid 330 for my card, but sold the games off that came with it for about 35 quid and made about 120 quid on my cards at the time, they'd of dropped massively in price by now so only paid quite a little for a decent upgrade.

Soldato
It compared to stock speeds of the intel cpu's.

Would still get demolished when overclocked it seems.

depends how it overclocks tbh though and its only had certain benchmarks done.

Need to wait for something a bit better until we really see what its like.

Some gaming benchies would be nice.

Hopefull can get a 25% OC from it up to 5ghz.

Caporegime
The cores are still barely any faster, all they have really done is bumped up multithreaded performance by increasing the base clock.

So in summary, it looks like Piledriver is going to be 15% faster in the few areas where Bulldozer is strong (encoding etc) and only 4% faster in the majority of applications where Bulldozer is slow.

IMO its only hope now is being able to easily hit 5ghz on air, which I would say is doubtful given that the turbo frequency has hardly increased at all.

P.S. most of those graphs are multithreaded benchmarks and so are best case scenarios for Piledriver.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Making the move to ib this weekend, currently using an i7 920 @4.2ghz, Asus p6t deluxe v2 and 12gb of kingston hyperx. Going to the following.

Asus P8 Z77 v pro
8gb Corsair vengeance lp

Cooling will be An Alpenfohn k2.

Associate
Got a stable 4.6ghz OC on 3770k

VCORE 1.280 (or 1.275 cant remeber, im at work :()
LLC on High 50%
Memory 2000mhz (never stable on my XMP profile 2133mhz for some reason)

24.png

Associate
Just starting with OCing my i5 3570k manually.
When using the auto OC to 4.4ghz via the Asus tool it puts vCore at 1.325, which seems fairly high.

Using ROG connect to see if I can get this down. I had it really low and got errors in Prime95 and then some boot issues.

I did notice that the manual 1.325v set my the asus tool drops when running prime to 1.266v..... I have no idea why though. When running Super Pi it stays around the 1.325v mark.

EDIT.
From reading up on the drop in volts under load, then this is known as VDroop. I have a Asus V Gene board, which was to Medium LLC (25%), upping this to High LLC (50%) makes to between 1.29v and 1.3v, so 0.03 roughly.

EDIT2.
Setting LLC to Very High (75%) means the voltage stays fairly solid under load. Should hopefully now be able to reduce vcore a bit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
Had to get a few more things before i move to my new setup. Bro is having my old system more or less just minus my hx620 psu, and hard drives now so im waiting on a new case and a psu for his and a ssd for his and a dvdrw for mine as ill just leave the one i had in his.

Most stuff should come monday i.e the case and the psu, the ssd i duno depends when ocuk post it which probs be monday and wont arrive til wed probably and the dvdrw around thursday due to free slow delivery from somewhere. Probs have it built all up by end of next weekend tho.

Man im itching to see what the new get up is gona be like :) I just hope i backed everything i think id need up from ssd on to a hdd.

Associate
Made some progress this evening.

Changed my manual vcore of 1.325v and very high llc (75%) to vcore ofset 0.4 and medium llc (25%)
The new setting is giving me a varying vcore of roughly 1.25 to 1.27 whilst running Intel Burn test. My CPU temp peaks at 67c which is about a 8c drop than before. The vcore then drops down to below 1.09 when idle as the CPU frequency clocks down.

Fairly happy with this as it feels safe and stable at a decent speed.

OcUK Staff
What volts are people having to use for a multiplier of 45? so far i've tried bumping ofset up from .40v to .80v without success. (.40v is stable at x44)

Who cares!!! every CPU is different. Week 18 will do 5.0 ghz at 1.25v ish on water normally it takes 1.44v. Dont worry what others are using. Different silicon different volts needed every time.

Associate
Who cares!!! every CPU is different. Week 18 will do 5.0 ghz at 1.25v ish on water normally it takes 1.44v. Dont worry what others are using. Different silicon different volts needed every time.

Just trying to get a ballpark figure that people might have been using with ofset. I'll keep playing.

Caporegime
Just built mine today, havent had much of a play with oc'ing yet. Bar setting the xmp profile for ram. Ran a quick test with p95. Temps of 60-60-59-54. Cooling is an Alpenfohn k2 with dual fans. Need to do a bit of reading up before commencing any clocking. Spec is.

Asus p8 z77 v pro
8gb corsair vengeance lp, 9-9-9-24.

Back
Top Bottom