*** Official Kodi (née XBMC) Thread ***

Soldato
I had one for a bit. Worked straight out the box for most of the stuff. I only sent it back because I wasn't able to map certain things to my Panasonic remote. Not the products fault, it's just certain buttons such as the 'I' button can the changed as they will always bring up the TVs function. I was going to order one again recently but bought a flirc instead as I got it a bit cheaper.

Caporegime
I had one for a bit. Worked straight out the box for most of the stuff. I only sent it back because I wasn't able to map certain things to my Panasonic remote. Not the products fault, it's just certain buttons such as the 'I' button can the changed as they will always bring up the TVs function. I was going to order one again recently but bought a flirc instead as I got it a bit cheaper.

What pany do you have?

TBH, the whole turning the PC whilst turning your TV on sounds great. Mapping certain buttons while isn't a big deal could be annoying. What panny do you have?

How is the flirc?

Soldato
OP
Yesterday, I followed the instructions in the first post to create a MySQL database, and set up two profiles.

It worked fine, and the databases exist on the mysql server, library works, etc.

Tonight i tried to create a 3rd Guest profile, and it's just not working. Here are my steps:
* I create the profile, shut XBMC down,
* add the advanced setting file, with the new databse names (Guestvideo, Guestmusic)
* start6 xbmc, add a source and try to scan it. Nothing happens.
* check the mysql server, and no new database has been added

Any idea what is going wrong?

Ah, just logged into the other profile, and they aren't showing the library - so I'm not connecting to the mysql server any more with any of my profiles. My android tablet still connects okay though.

Any idea how to restore this connection?

What does it say in the XBMC log file? Do you see it loading the advancedsettings and does it give you any errors when creating the database? Enable full debug logging on that profile, restart XBMC, and paste the log file to pastebin.com and post the link here, and I'll take a look.

Also - what version of MySQL are you using? The latest (5.6) seems to be having a few issues - try version 5.5 (I'll update the first post to reflect this...)

As soon as you load the profile that's configured with MySQL it should begin to look for the database and create it if necessary before you even get to the main menu.

Soldato
Upgraded my pi to an Intel nuc i3 gbit lan. Got the pulseeight cec adapter. Already have media and central mysql db on microserver. All works great, using the ace skin. Really fast, can use tv controller to control it etc. Still using pi in bedrooms.

Soldato
What pany do you have?

TBH, the whole turning the PC whilst turning your TV on sounds great. Mapping certain buttons while isn't a big deal could be annoying. What panny do you have?

How is the flirc?

I have the Panasonic TX-P50V20B

http://www.panasonic.co.uk/html/en_...ca075394a71dd91f.e38KcheKa3mQa40RbN0KbxeRb3j0

Flirc works a treat. Still cant program the 'i' button on the panny remote, I wanted it to bring up the info page for movies but it seems to be hard coded to the TV menu. I just had to map another button instead. It does bug the OCD in me though :p

Its like the CEC but with a nice simple front end to map all the button. The CEC adaptor is very clever though and you can map things still, but you need to start playing with the cfg files in XBMC. With the Flirc all the config is down in software they stored on the device itself you whatever you plug it into your custom settings will be there.

Associate
could someone briefly explain to me (or point me in the right direction) of how you would view live TV through XBMC and use DVR functions. At the moment I'm just using the tvcatchup add on.

I assume I'd need a TV tuner card?

Soldato
You need a tuner card, and then a "server" like Media Portal's server functionality to actually recieve the TV signal and then "serve" it.

For this method specifically, you will need a TV card, XBMC and the free Mediaportal software, you can just get away with installing the server for this.

From there, it's fairly straight forward to set up. I've got a dual satellite card in mine, so I can record and watch different channels, though I don't really record, but the live pause features are great.

Soldato
OP
If you have a satellite dish and a satellite tuner, then it depends on where you point the dish.

You've got plenty of options for what to use as the PVR back-end - on Windows you have MediaPortal, ArgusTV, NextPVR, and on Linux you have TVHeadend and others (I don't use Linux so can't remember the names)

My Freeview HD tuner card is in my server (which runs WHS2011), and runs ArgusTV. My tuner card is a dual tuner, so I can tune to 2 multiplexes (of a total of about 7) at once - which means as many channels as are on those two multiplexes - ie I can watch all 4 HD channels, as well as the ~10 channels that are on another multiplex. (To view all channels simultaneously, I'd need as many tuners as multiplexes)

With satellite, it's even easier, as there's only 4 variations, as opposed to ~7 on Freeview - so to view every single satellite channel simultaneously, you only need 4 tuners!

XBMC itself doesn't talk to the tuner hardware - it uses these 3rd party applications (ArgusTV etc) - these can either be installed and running on the same box as XBMC is, or on a completely separate box (as I do with mine - my server, which is always on anyway)

There's nothing illegal about tuning these channels - obviously you will still require a TV licence as you are viewing or recording TV as it's being broadcast - it gets into "illegal" territory if you go to efforts to, for example, attempt to view encrypted Sky channels. But for the UK/foreign channels which aren't encrypted, then it's perfectly fine.

Soldato
Has anyone used a USB>CEC adapter?

They seem amazing, do they really work?

Seems too good to be true.

Yes htpc sleeps and wakes with tv. Almost all the remote buttons control xbmc, for example I can find film beginning with 'b' by pressing 2 twice while in a library. No missing controls.

Caporegime
Yes htpc sleeps and wakes with tv. Almost all the remote buttons control xbmc, for example I can find film beginning with 'b' by pressing 2 twice while in a library. No missing controls.

Awesome, I have no need for it whatsover or xbmc for that matter.

But it's too much fun playing about with it, will most likely be buying 6+TBs purely for this :)

Associate
I am looking at XBMC to run on my 24/7 server.

I need some advice with the following questions.

1. If i leave my Server running XBMC can u configure say a RASBERY PI to run in my bedroom and access the content from the server. so the Rasbery PI access the content direct from server.

2. I have about 11 Blu Ray ISO backups. Can XBMC play ISO files and manage TRUEHD audio?

3. Can i add the ISO's into the XBMC libery and get covers etc.

4. I have an AV reciever, passing the server though the AV reciever will i notice any loss in audio/video quality compared to other dedicated players like total Media/power DVD.

Soldato
OP
1. Yes, perfectly possible. Assuming that the Pi can access the shares where the files are, then it can play it back. If you have MySQL on your server, you can centralise your library. Without it - not a problem, it just means that the Pi will keep its own library, and you won't be able to do stuff like synchronise Watched status, or stop on one device and seamlessly resume from the same point on another device.

I would highly suggest setting up MySQL on your server for this purpose, it really does make life a lot easier to add more devices :)

2. XBMC can play ISO files, but it may struggle with the Blu-ray menus. The better option would be to convert the movies into MKVs (you can do a direct mux and not lose any quality), and you can then include as many or as few audio/subtitle tracks as you wish, excluding the foreign languages and save a little bit of storage space.

XBMC can pass through TRUEHD audio to a receiver compatible of decoding it - it cannot natively decode it. You might struggle a little with full-rips on the Pi.

3. Yes - assuming the filenames follow the convention - mostly having the name as defined on TheMovieDB, and for better matching of the correct film, also add the year.

4. You should not notice any difference in quality, unless Total Media/Power DVD are applying any kind of picture processing. XBMC does not apply any processing at all.

Associate
I seem to be having alittle bit of trouble with XBMC. Recently made a HTPC with AMD A-8 6600k APU, Gigabyte F2A85XM-D3H, 8gb RAM, Windows 8, Intel SSD with tons of free space and yet XBMC sometimes crashes whilst in the menu :/

Soldato
OP
gazo7000, can you get into System -> System -> Debugging and enable the "Enable debug logging" option.

Then, after it's crashed, go to %appdata%\XBMC and there should be a debug log there - upload this to somewhere like PasteBin and put the link here, and I'll take a quick look through the log file and see what might be causing it.

Associate
gazo7000, can you get into System -> System -> Debugging and enable the "Enable debug logging" option.

Then, after it's crashed, go to %appdata%\XBMC and there should be a debug log there - upload this to somewhere like PasteBin and put the link here, and I'll take a quick look through the log file and see what might be causing it.

Thats awesome, thank you :) I'll do it later when I get in from work. Thanks for helping me.

Soldato
OP
If you don't want the debug info on screen whilst it's in Debug mode, you can add the following to your advancedsettings.xml file (or create one):

Code:
<advancedsettings>
    <loglevel hide="false">1</loglevel>
</advancedsettings>

(this will then over-write your Debug settings in the GUI, so to disable debug mode again, you'll have to remove this line from your advancedsettings.xml file.

Soldato
What's the best way of running XBMC headlessly? I want to use it as a Spotify box, effectively, so I want to be able to see what's playing, my playlists, etc on my iPad, while my XBMC box is in a cupboard plugged into my speakers.

Back
Top Bottom