*** Official SONOS Thread ***

Associate
Any streaming device without a proper remote is dead to me. I already hate using my phone for the Sonos and only use it on tablet - I definitely don't want to have to wake up my phone and use an app just to pause/change/search TV

Soldato
Doesn't sound great, a streaming device without a remote would be pretty annoying. Maybe they will support HDMI CEC control so you can use the TV remote but having to get your phone out all the time is cumbersome and I'm not a fan of voice control.

Also while I like my sonos speakers, the app isn't really its strongpoint. The potential workaround for lip sync issues is interesting although eArc is supposed to sort that out.
I have an Nvidia Shield that I’ve used for years without a remote - HDMI CEC is king for me - I hate the need for yet another remote… but yeah would be annoying if it was just phone only…

Soldato
I have finally got a soundbar for my rather old but functional Samsung TV only kept going through use of Chromecast with Google TV.
Went on the cheaper end with the Sonos Ray and have to say the improvement is definitely noticeable, mainly had issues with hearing dialogue. Fortunately the Google remote is IR so can continue using that to power on, change channels and adjust the volume. Optical out only almost put me off buying due to lack of clarity whether it would work with my remote.

Last edited:
Soldato
So I bought a pair of Fives (for a very good price - £500 for both) and I must say, they sound much better than they ought to.

I think they’re the only Sonos speakers I’d pay full price for (inc the Sub Mini, actually - sounds better than the normal sub).

They’re so good that I think on their own, as a pair, they provide a better listening experience than a 5.2.2 with the Arc, 2x subs and 2x rears.

Caporegime
So I bought a pair of Fives (for a very good price - £500 for both) and I must say, they sound much better than they ought to.

I think they’re the only Sonos speakers I’d pay full price for (inc the Sub Mini, actually - sounds better than the normal sub).

They’re so good that I think on their own, as a pair, they provide a better listening experience than a 5.2.2 with the Arc, 2x subs and 2x rears.
Pair of 5s is pretty awesome.

Associate
Normally hate the walled garden kind of approach that Sonos involves but I'm in the market for a Beam gen 2 (or possibly 2 of them) in the near future.

Anyone gone from a budget 2 channel system to one of these and have any thoughts? I'm "downgrading" from some B&W 607s

Soldato
Normally hate the walled garden kind of approach that Sonos involves but I'm in the market for a Beam gen 2 (or possibly 2 of them) in the near future.

Anyone gone from a budget 2 channel system to one of these and have any thoughts? I'm "downgrading" from some B&W 607s

Not as good for music, better for dialogue and movies, IMO.

I went from B&W 603 S2s to the Arc.

The Arc is undoubtedly better most of the time, but haven't ever been properly happy with it for music - that's with 2x subs and 2x rears.

Associate
Love the Sonos gear I’ve got but could do with them bringing out a HomePod Mini type speaker for a bedside table. The Roam is a bit flakey in terms of connectivity and the One is too big.

The argument would be “just buy a HomePod Mini” because it does Airplay but I’m all for cohesion and ideally would prefer it all under one brand. Lol

Man of Honour

I went from a proper AV amp with Monitor Audio Gold 5.1 setup to Arc/Play 1/Sub and I wouldn't go back. The MA floor standers are in the kitchen now for music only but for TV/movie watching and wife points the Sonos system trumps it.

Associate
I went from a proper AV amp with Monitor Audio Gold 5.1 setup to Arc/Play 1/Sub and I wouldn't go back. The MA floor standers are in the kitchen now for music only but for TV/movie watching and wife points the Sonos system trumps it.

Do you ever find yourself listening to music on the arc?

Man of Honour
Do you ever find yourself listening to music on the arc?
Not a huge amount of the time, we only tend to use our living room if we are watching TV. Sometimes I'll have it on as filler for house parties etc, or if we are lazing in the living room without the TV. Most of the time we sit in the kitchen.

Man of Honour
I thought the 'current' app is S2? Whatever it is, I find it pretty awful so I welcome a redesign.

Edit - Access from your computer or tablet.

Yes!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom