*** Official SONOS Thread ***

Caporegime
Did you do a full reset so they forget the password for network A?
It is one of the many things I tried yes, and when I did this the controller was stuck on Network A, the speakers on Network B so when my phone d/c from the speakers local network, I could no longer connect to them through the App.

Soldato
Has anyone added a Mini Sub to a 2 Sonos One set up? Its just for general music listening so not sure how much it would add to the overall experience but they have been taking my fancy since they came out :D

Associate
Has anyone added a Mini Sub to a 2 Sonos One set up? Its just for general music listening so not sure how much it would add to the overall experience but they have been taking my fancy since they came out :D

I added the Sub mini to my Beam and play one surround setup and I have to say I am impressed, it really does make a massive difference. Bizarrely it made the voice clearer, reading about it after its because all the bass duties get off loaded to the sub and that lets the other speakers concentrate on the mids and highs so it doesn't just add more base it cleans up the whole sound. I'm not sure I would ever pay full price for it, I got mine at very, if you start a credit account you get 20% off your first order, the sub was £390 at the time so got it for £312.

Last edited:
Soldato
I added the Sub mini to my Beam and play one surround setup and I have to say I am impressed, it really does make a massive difference. Bizarrely it made the voice clearer, reading about it after its because all the bass duties get off loaded to the sub and that lets the other speakers concentrate on the mids and highs so it doesn't just add more base it cleans up the whole sound. I'm not sure I would ever pay full price for it, I got mine at very, if you start a credit account you get 20% off your first order, the sub was £390 at the time so got it for £312.
Welp you've cost me 330quid

Associate
Coming from a detached house in the North to the South, I've had to downsize significantly. I went down the Sonos route, as soon as I get a bigger place in the South I'll be going away from Sonos. It's good but I don't feel it's good enough for what I'm used to.

Soldato
Sub mini arrived - used the Very trick to get it for £340. Works amazingly well; setup super simple. Well impressed thank you for persuading me :cry:

Question - I have ran ethernet everywhere, so on one hand it is a shame to not be leveraging it, but is there any benefit to wiring these things up using cat5? I guess now I have two, latency could be a thing?

Caporegime
Sub mini arrived - used the Very trick to get it for £340. Works amazingly well; setup super simple. Well impressed thank you for persuading me :cry:

Question - I have ran ethernet everywhere, so on one hand it is a shame to not be leveraging it, but is there any benefit to wiring these things up using cat5? I guess now I have two, latency could be a thing?
No benefit other than stability.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Honestly, I've had far more issues with Sonos when it's wired compared to using wireless, especially if you have Sky Q or any other system that likes to deploy its own bridge/L2 solution.

Soldato
Honestly, I've had far more issues with Sonos when it's wired compared to using wireless, especially if you have Sky Q or any other system that likes to deploy its own bridge/L2 solution.

Yep, ditto. An STP/RSTP nightmare. I moved my Sky Q boxes to a different VLAN which made a big difference but it still was quite hit and miss.

Even when hard wired, the speakers will communicate wirelessly over their internal Wi-Fi network.

Soldato

IIRC I’ve got 18 Sonos speakers in the house plus a Port and (touch wood) haven’t had any wireless issues for years. I think it got a lot more stable with S2.

Last edited:
Soldato

Very interesting.

Doesn't sound great, a streaming device without a remote would be pretty annoying. Maybe they will support HDMI CEC control so you can use the TV remote but having to get your phone out all the time is cumbersome and I'm not a fan of voice control.

Also while I like my sonos speakers, the app isn't really its strongpoint. The potential workaround for lip sync issues is interesting although eArc is supposed to sort that out.

Last edited:
Associate
Doesn't sound great, a streaming device without a remote would be pretty annoying. Maybe they will support HDMI CEC control so you can use the TV remote but having to get your phone out all the time is cumbersome and I'm not a fan of voice control.

Also while I like my sonos speakers, the app isn't really its strongpoint. The potential workaround for lip sync issues is interesting although eArc is supposed to sort that out.
I guess Sonos are banking on most people having their phone already out (which for the most part I’d say was true). I for example only put my phone in a pocket if I’m going out-any other time it’s somewhere that’s easily accessible.

I showed the article to my wife and she wasn’t put off by the notion so happy days lol.

The article suggests that there will be a new Sonos TV app that would be introduced as well.

Soldato
I already do what Sonos is trying to do, using Airplay on my iPhone

I fail to see how any streaming box or TV box can beat what I already have, the power of my phone

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom