*** Official Ubiquiti Discussion Thread ***

Caporegime
It's about right for concrete block. If you really don't want to have to look at the AP then try temporarily laying it on the inside of that loft hatch, the same way up that it is now (e.g. light ring facing down). A sheet of ply is probably the most RF transparent thing in that ceiling if you have foil backed board.

Last edited:
Soldato
It's about right for concrete block. If you really don't want to have to look at the AP then try temporarily laying it on the inside of that loft hatch, the same way up that it is now (e.g. light ring facing down). A sheet of ply is probably the most RF transparent thing in that ceiling if you have foil backed board.
It's not about not looking at the AP that location is simple to run the cable.
Moving it out means taking up the loft floor and insulation, I guess I could use some really narrow conduit along the ceiling.
Trying it on the loft hatch is a good idea.

I really don't mind installing more APs a U6 Mesh in the dining room should serve the whole downstairs I imagine.

Last edited:
Soldato
I still remember the 'member' who put his bed inc. a coiled spring mattress over his router and then complained the router was crap as the signal had dropped. I wasn't sure if I should laugh or cry.

I've seen many bad installations, can't remember the website but it is something like "bad wifi" and shows all the funky installations.

Soldato
Added a U6 Mesh next to the living room TV.

Set both my APs to 2.4ghz low power, 5ghz high
2.4 channels 6 and 11, 5ghz 48 and 149.

Great speeds and signal everywhere now.
Some devices are a bit thick though they're still on the upstairs AP when they could be on the downstairs one with much better signal.

They're a great form factor.

Edit: found the lock to AP feature do moving some devices to the new AP, and Echo literally 5 inches away was happy sat at -75db now it's -21db.

Last edited:
Soldato
Added a U6 Mesh next to the living room TV.

Set both my APs to 2.4ghz low power, 5ghz high
2.4 channels 6 and 11, 5ghz 48 and 149.

Great speeds and signal everywhere now.
Some devices are a bit thick though they're still on the upstairs AP when they could be on the downstairs one with much better signal.

They're a great form factor.

Edit: found the lock to AP feature do moving some devices to the new AP, and Echo literally 5 inches away was happy sat at -75db now it's -21db.

Drop the RSSI to about 55dBi and the device will roam faster.

RSR

RSR

Soldato
Just had an interesting update from Ubiquiti:

Hi There,

I appreciate your patience,
The development team was able to reproduce the issues that you're experiencing on the primary WAN (port 19). They are working on a resolution. I'll reach out when I have an update from the development team.
Best,
UI Support
Ubiquiti Inc.

I can replicate the issue on a UDM-SE and UDW on the 2.5GbE port by completely saturating a 1Gb connection and a PPPoE connection randomly dies. If the test is repeated using the SFP+ interface, using the same download test it works fine. I had to do some testing for them which I have forwarded over as I was running a tail and top on the unit in question. I am happy they can re-create it though, so that's one positive.

Wonder if they will release a new firmware for it?

Man of Honour
Nice. I have an issue where if I connect my Pro 24 to my US-16XG or whatever it’s called via 10 GbE the clients on the Pro 24 only get around 600-700 Mbps on Speedtests. If I connect it via a 1 GbE port, or direct to the UDM SE I get full speed. It’s odd as iPerf tests locally are fine, it’s just internet speedtest.

Associate
See that there’s a UXG-Max been released. 2.5Gbe WAN and 4x 2.5Gbe LAN.

Wonder if there’ll be a Max version of the UCG at some point.

I suppose this explains the useless 2.5Gbit WAN port on the UCG-Ultra, I presume they are using a lot of common parts.

Soldato
Got a couple of UCG-Ultra units on order, but eta listed as end of May/June. It'll meet the needs of the two family members, beyond that don't really care re the 2.5GBit WAN port etc. Connection speeds they're going on are 350/35 and 900/900.

One to replace a pfsense instance and the other to go alongside a Unifi Express that'll be changed to AP mode.

I'm staying on pfsense/opnsense/Sophos XG atm and just landed another XG unit, XG135 Rev3 this time.

I would hope these MAX units don't have the screen issue that has plagued the UCG-Ultra from what I've seen. I expect they're being hit with unable to satisfy warranty replacements and re-stocking atm. Based on a few blogs I form the Unifi conference recently I believe the line up is expanding further. I do think there is product sprawl though, which has always been a problem. UXG-Lite I can already see as a product that won't sell well.

Soldato
Got a couple of UCG-Ultra units on order, but eta listed as end of May/June. It'll meet the needs of the two family members, beyond that don't really care re the 2.5GBit WAN port etc. Connection speeds they're going on are 350/35 and 900/900.

One to replace a pfsense instance and the other to go alongside a Unifi Express that'll be changed to AP mode.

I'm staying on pfsense/opnsense/Sophos XG atm and just landed another XG unit, XG135 Rev3 this time.

I would hope these MAX units don't have the screen issue that has plagued the UCG-Ultra from what I've seen. I expect they're being hit with unable to satisfy warranty replacements and re-stocking atm. Based on a few blogs I form the Unifi conference recently I believe the line up is expanding further. I do think there is product sprawl though, which has always been a problem. UXG-Lite I can already see as a product that won't sell well.

I don’t believe the Max has a screen. We’ve got a reasonable number coming in tomorrow and we’re pretty excited about these. In testing they run like a bunny with its tail on fire. It’s almost like Chris Buechler left and someone got busy on releasing products folk actually want to buy. Yay!

Last edited:
Soldato
I switched to pfSense as the USG3 wasn't cutting it at the time. Still have Unifi APs and switches so considering switching back to Unifi for the router/gateway. One thing that's putting me off is I run Avahi and udpbroadcast relay as plugins in pfSense for some cross vlan broadcast traffic (Sonos, airplay, etc). Can this be replicated on say the Cloud Gateway Ultra?

Soldato
Not delved into Avahi as I few an iPhone the same as Sonos etc. all that sits on it’s on segment whilst my NAS, PC, Laptop etc are on their own with relevant FW rules

Soldato
See that there’s a UXG-Max been released. 2.5Gbe WAN and 4x 2.5Gbe LAN.

Wonder if there’ll be a Max version of the UCG at some point.

I'm tempted to get one to replace my USG-3P. I've not seen many positive comments about how easy a gateway migration is so I'll have to take my brave pills when I get it a go.

Back
Top Bottom