*** Official Ubiquiti Discussion Thread ***

Soldato
Think I want to upgrade my whole setup now, starting with replacing my 6u wall unit with a 15u one that I'll sit on the floor.
Thinking I'll cut out the floor to match the knockout piece in the bottom of the cabinet where my cables will come in.
Should be big enough to sit my NAS in the bottom.

Like the idea of changing to keystone type patch panels as well and using two 24port ones and segregating my devices better leaving room for expansion.

Soldato
I've still not decided on a rack for myself. Initially was going to get a wall mount 6u then was going to get a vertical mount rack but who knows.

Not even got my udmp and Poe switches in my setup yet, been too busy with life.

Soldato
I have 24u that’s about half full (technically 13/24, but I need to pull a switch). If I am honest, it’s probably a little large, and I am splitting some of it into a 9u comms cabinet now. If I were doing it today - this rack physically can’t leave the property without removing walls now - I would build in an open frame on the top floor and hide the lot.

RSR

RSR

Soldato
One word of advice with these UniFi switches depending on the model you go with they can be quite deep, as I run a 600mm cabinet and that gives just about enough space behind for UNVRs / Enterprise switches etc...

Soldato
One word of advice with these UniFi switches depending on the model you go with they can be quite deep, as I run a 600mm cabinet and that gives just about enough space behind for UNVRs / Enterprise switches etc...
I've got a 2nd gen PoE 16 port which is a good bit shorter in depth compared to the UDMP. I've been eyeing up the Excel Environ WR390. Compact enough and with enough internal working space for a UDMP with a angled power supply cable.

Soldato
Pro Max 24 POE is 325mm deep.
I am going to go for a 600mm deep cabinet next though, can slide the front rails back a bit for some extra space at the front.

RSR

RSR

Soldato
I've got a 2nd gen PoE 16 port which is a good bit shorter in depth compared to the UDMP. I've been eyeing up the Excel Environ WR390. Compact enough and with enough internal working space for a UDMP with a angled power supply cable.

Nice cabinet, I have an Excel 15U 600mm Deep Wall Cabinet which has been fine for all my stuff.

Soldato
From a discussion I had with the manufacturer, They reckon somewhere around 330-340mm working depth for the 390 version.
I've got a few bits from Excel and it seems decent enough equipment.

Soldato
Well day one of renewing my ‘Hate on Unifi’ credentials has been a mixed bag, especially if I actually want to hate on Unifi. Generally surprisingly good, certainly a lot better than I remember (we’re talking my g.fast days, so 4-6 years ago) and obviously the hardware and performance have come on a fair way. I have found the odd quirk about applying rules for clients to go via VPN and specific domains via VPN which was a feature I used in Untangle, but I need to investigate further. Today was supposed to be VLAN’s and dropping fibre links, but apparently my plans have changed and the wife is leaving me. I mean she’s coming back tomorrow, but unexpected deliveries mean I have a child’s room to redecorate and bed to build before I can play.

Going to grab a cheap AP and have a play again, at least for the top floor, Deco’s are great, but no VLAN without separate networks/ports and relying on it to manage channels - while it hasn’t done badly - feels like something I would prefer to handle. I can’t see me ditching them for family installs though, but it feels like a good time to have come back to Unifi :)

Man of Honour
@Avalon you should get a UniFi AP and run Private Pre-Shared Keys. Glad you are at least somewhat liking it, I did say that they've come on leaps and bounds recently, but still many improvements to be made and will no doubt be coming.

Associate
not sure if this the right place but im hoping someone can help.

received my cloud gateway ultra this week, so had time to set it up today. just replaced my working UX.
but once its booted up the screen shows 'plug in cable', picture pointing to the wan port.

its all connected the same, light is on the wan port when i plug it in, modem is fine, also tried different cables, tried reboot and factory reset with no joy.

unifi app wont connect to the UCG either, it says bluetooth connection failed.

any suggestions?

Soldato
@Avalon you should get a UniFi AP and run Private Pre-Shared Keys. Glad you are at least somewhat liking it, I did say that they've come on leaps and bounds recently, but still many improvements to be made and will no doubt be coming.
If I am honest, I nearly ordered the U6+ earlier, at £95 from Amazon it looked tempting, but the U7 Pro is only a few quid more and brings more to the table. Previously I was able to cover three floors just about with a single AC Pro, so it feels like a reasonable choice.

Associate
not sure if this the right place but im hoping someone can help.

received my cloud gateway ultra this week, so had time to set it up today. just replaced my working UX.
but once its booted up the screen shows 'plug in cable', picture pointing to the wan port.

its all connected the same, light is on the wan port when i plug it in, modem is fine, also tried different cables, tried reboot and factory reset with no joy.

unifi app wont connect to the UCG either, it says bluetooth connection failed.

any suggestions?
so its working right now, but im not 100 confident as it had dropped connection before.

i just played around with reboots, rebooting with cable connected and without, also factory reset again.
only seemed to work after a factory reset, popped up on the app as a new device, went through all the isp login and setup, used unifi network on the pc to check settings, worked for about 5 mins then dropped.
tried it all again, had to factory reset for the app to detect the device, logged in again and so far its been 20 mins ok.

the problem is i dont have wifi atm, as i dont want to reset the UX as an AP incase the UCG drops again. i will leave it for now, watch the football and see how it gets on.

Soldato
Got round to mounting the U6 Pro on the landing ceiling, decided to make my life easier and mounted it inside the airing cupboard, means I don't have to go into the loft and loft the floor and insulation.

Downside is I now have around -72db downstairs on the 5ghz now. I loose connection in the kitchen now which is an extension so line off site from the AP is now through the external double brick wall.

I wish they'd hurry up and release a U7 Mesh, be perfect for placing in the centre of downstairs.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom