Oil traders refuse to leave Brussels for London because of low pay

Soldato
Both my partner and I work for large corps with head offices in California. They passed a law a year or so ago which says they have to state a salary range for any advertised role. Which leads to our internal portals having to show salaries (in USD) and you can directly compare. If anything shows how awful UK salaries are, it’s this. Salaries on the same level are almost double even when converted to GBP. It’s insane. We complain about the Americans being arrogant etc in the workplace but you can see why!

People say “oh but they have healthcare etc to pay for” but uhh no, they have company healthcare just like us. It’s just crazy. Obviously the divide over there is massive between the “working” and middle classes, but if you’re in a good corporate job at a Director level or above for example, you’re essentially what used to be middle class over here. Which is very well off, big house, lots of money to spend even on top of a big mortgage etc. Over here at the same level you’re just getting by :o

Their healthcare insurance only covers so much and then the rest has to be paid for. So if you get something serious you can still end up paying 6 figures or more.

It is a huge worry and expense which we don't have in the UK.

Last edited:
Soldato
Has he looked at redundancy terms in the USA too, maybe ask some of the highly renumerated ex twitter/tesla employees, versus France, say.

maybe this week relaxation of bankers bonuses (antagonizing eu) will incentivize them to come work in the uk and re-floatdestroy our economy, whilst Keir passionately plays his ex-titanic violin.

Caporegime
If you were earning £30k in 2000, to keep up with inflation, you'd need to be earning £55k just to be on the same level in terms of spending power.

My entry-level call-center job back in 2004 was £16k, which would need to be £28k now. A quick squizz seems to have similar jobs now around £22k, 20% worse.

My first job out of school was a machine operator then later a team leader in a factory. In 2009 my wage was 26k. That today is 40k. You would be lucky to make low 30's.

Minimum wage has gone up 10% in the last year but I doubt we will get a 10% pay increase this year. All that is going to happen in the next 5-10 years is a vast majority of jobs are just going to end up on pay parity with minimum wage which is going to cause a monumental shortage for the tougher jobs. It has already happened in some sectors and the middle class are the ones who are paying for it. Not the top 2% at the top.

We had years of 0% pay rises after the 08 financial crash and then covid hit and inflation has gone crazy now people are just so far behind what they were it is all just a bit of a mess.

We are in a situation where a government will never get in doing the right thing to sort out the country so they just continue to do the thing that gets them into power. I can honestly not see anything changing for the better in the next 10-20 years. We have more chance of war being a reset.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom