Opinions on HP ProLiant ML115 G5

Associate
OP
Cheers Mate

Going to buy one of these as my desktop and use Machine in Sig as a ESX server

ESX is VERY fussy about what hardware it will run on. Had to borrow a rather expensive SATA RAID card to get the software to pick up my hard drives.

After installation I removed it, enabled the onboard SATA ports and it worked just fine.

Associate
OP
Cant find that dell for £117 anywhere but i'll keep in mind when I want another spare PC. Doesn't seem all that bad for that price.

Soldato
'playbox' save your money and get a Dell SC440

great boxes, £117 sometimes

plus £60 shipping.
and no raid.

also, currently 179 plus VAT and del.
slower processor too (Pentium dual core anyone - not xeon or core2?)

totals out at 267.90 without any support etc.

Last edited:

Zaf

Zaf

Soldato
ESX is VERY fussy about what hardware it will run on. Had to borrow a rather expensive SATA RAID card to get the software to pick up my hard drives.

After installation I removed it, enabled the onboard SATA ports and it worked just fine.

Yeah been doing some research into ESX Whiteboxes think I'll get a Core 2 Duo for my Abit and buy a more compatible motherboard to put my Q6600 in

Associate
We replaced the PSU as we wanted to put in 4 HDs too with an nVidia 8600GT card, you *may* get away with the included PSU but really i doubt it, best to play it safe and stick in a newer one.
Hi Dave, just wanted to know - where did you get the replacement PSU from? My brother has one of these PCs but it's blanking out the screen after a random period... I think it could be power-related so would like to replace the PSU with a more powerful one (365W to 400W+). Unfortunately, it seems that HP have used a non-standard form factor in the case we've got, because none of my spares will fit!

Any suggestions you can offer will be very handy!

Soldato
just ordered an Acer Altos G330 Mrk2 for £120+vat Xeon E3300 based, and takes the same ram. Will give that a go as well

Well it turned up, only one small problem it has no mounting rails and I can't find any for the hard drives...sort of makes it a bit pointless really.

Associate
Hmm....maybe the one we had was a different revision or somthing as i don't recall any problems with the hardware at the time - it was 6 months or so ago now though.

Well basically, none of the screws line up when you fit a standard (or what I think of as standard) form-factor PSU in... The only other thing I can think of is to use some sort of adaptor plate, but I'm hesitant to start fiddling around too much. However, looking at some of HP's suppliers in the UK, I'm really not prepared to pay ~£115 + delivery for a £40 PSU!

Soldato
yep, when you get the manual off the DVD or manage to find it on the website it says they are optional extras...they don't even supply 1. Its some nice kit otherwise, FSP PSU. gigabyte board.

Zaf

Zaf

Soldato
I called HP UK and asked about the Remote Management Card offer. Even though I bought the system a day before the offer was introduced, they are shipping me the card anyway. Result!

I called HP up as I didn't get the card at the time and they said I would have to get it from the distributor. So gave them a ring and they reckon the offer is not Valid with the ML115 G5! So checked on the HP Claim form and the ML115 G5 is not listed on it either :confused:

Who else has had the card with this server?

Cheers
Zaf,

Back
Top Bottom