**** Original Starcraft 2 Thread ****

Associate
starcraft 1 was a long long time ago things have moved on

The original Star Wars trilogy 'was a long long time ago' as well but its enduring popularity meant there was a lot of interest in Star Wars: Episode 1. By the same token, SC1 still has a gigantic worldwide base of dedicated players and fans, so for comparable reasons there is consequently great interest in SC2.

You asked why there's interest, this is why. Whether you personally think SC1 is good, outdated, or whatever, does not have any bearing on the question you asked.

Associate
Just a headsup for those that don't have a beta key and aren't furiously playing as we speak, Liquid`NonY (probably the best non-Korean SC1 player in the world) is playing SC2 right now and is streaming it. The beta matchmaking system hasn't put him in the top-tier bracket yet so it's pretty funny watching him massacre people who are clearly just giving the SC2 beta a try while they're on a break from playing WoW.

Soldato
Must... Play :(:(

my offer still stands at £80 if anybody has one. week before payday :p im broke! lol

Anybody playing this?
i reinstalled last night and played some iCCup.. went 3-0 Woot! i still got it!

Soldato
come on starcraft was amazing but starcraft 2 looks pathetic compared to modern rts in terms of both gameplay and graphics.
A lot of people prefer the classic style RTS. All the gameplay innovations that COH and others brought in.. are just "changes" to the gameplay mechanics, not replacements.

Also, I think the graphics are quite nice actually!

Having said this, I've not actually played Starcraft before. Can anyone tell me what it'sl ike compared to the Age of Empires series? In terms of how much macro and micro is involved.

Last edited:
Soldato
A lot of people prefer the classic style RTS. All the gameplay innovations that COH and others brought in.. are just "changes" to the gameplay mechanics, not replacements.

Also, I think the graphics are quite nice actually!

He hit the nail on the head with 'modern RTS' IMO modern rts has been destroyed by flashy graphics and gimmicky views. Im all for a classic top down only style. I still love playing Redalert 2. The only game i think the new views has worked for is supreme commander (i keep it in top down view all the time anyway)

What we need is a game with 10,000 unit count, 100 different unit types per team with a static top down view, just nice 2d graphics. Bring on Starcraft 2

Soldato
Must... Play :(:(

my offer still stands at £80 if anybody has one. week before payday :p im broke! lol

Anybody playing this?

Why does your username ring a bell?? hmmm, did you join the OcUK guild when CliffyG started one a year or so ago? A Horde Tauren Shaman by any chance?

Man of Honour
Just a headsup for those that don't have a beta key and aren't furiously playing as we speak, Liquid`NonY (probably the best non-Korean SC1 player in the world) is playing SC2 right now and is streaming it. The beta matchmaking system hasn't put him in the top-tier bracket yet so it's pretty funny watching him massacre people who are clearly just giving the SC2 beta a try while they're on a break from playing WoW.

I've watched quite a bit on there - thanks for the link :)

Soldato
Why does your username ring a bell?? hmmm, did you join the OcUK guild when CliffyG started one a year or so ago? A Horde Tauren Shaman by any chance?

yep :)

im Blowmytotem... im still on the Shattered Halls server :) CliffyG is a dude :) not seen him in a long long time!

Inazuma.. Its quite a lot different to AoE in my opinion. however, i've never played AoE online competetivly.
The amount of Micro/Macro management you have to do is much much more intensive than any other RTS i've played. some of the South Korean players have insanely good multi-tasking abilities, which is what gives them the edge.

If you can manage to download some VoD's of any Koreans playing Starcraft, you'll jsut see their left hand being a complete blur all over the keyboard, and the screen flashing to different points on the map. its pretty amazing really.

Its all about getting the balance though :) most players are extreamly good at one and not the other.

Soldato
yep :)

im Blowmytotem... im still on the Shattered Halls server :) CliffyG is a dude :) not seen him in a long long time!

I remember bickering/joking with you because I had just rerolled on the EU servers as Alliance and was leveling my own Shaman the same time as you, Shamwich was mine ;)

I wanted the guild to roll as Alliance as I didn't want to reroll Horde again.

Associate
Anybody playing this?

Reinstalled and played a bit earlier on today, my APM is 101 and I'm fighting fairly even battles against Entropy AI. I don't think I'm quite ready to take my game to iCCup yet, unless they've extended the ranks down to like G.

does anyone know when the second wave is due to be released?

From another forum, rumoured to be seven days after the first wave. This is hearsay though, could be misinformation.

Associate
Well that didn't work ;(

Me to Blizzard said:
Account Information -----------------------
Battle.Net Account Name: [email protected]

Request ------------------------------------
Product: Battle.net Account
Category: Beta Opt-In Question

Description --------------------------------

Guys,

Please can I have a StarCraft 2 beta key. Please.

I promise I will take good care of it and feed it every day.

Love,
M******

Blizzard to me said:
[email protected]
to me

Hello,

Thank you for your email regarding the StarCraft II Beta.

If you would like a chance to participate in the StarCraft II Beta, you will need a valid Battle.net Account with at least one Blizzard game attached:
http://eu.battle.net/

For more information about the Beta-Opt-In process and how to make sure you are eligible, we have prepared the following FAQ:
http://eu.blizzard.com/support/article.xml?articleId=37482

You can find detailed instructions that explain how to complete the Beta Opt-In process here:
http://eu.blizzard.com/support/article.xml?articleId=37552

Soldato
Reinstalled and played a bit earlier on today, my APM is 101 and I'm fighting fairly even battles against Entropy AI. I don't think I'm quite ready to take my game to iCCup yet, unless they've extended the ranks down to like G.

From another forum, rumoured to be seven days after the first wave. This is hearsay though, could be misinformation.

Ohhh whats the software you find out your APM again? BWScanner or something like that? i forget, its been a while!

Back
Top Bottom