P8Z68 Pro Gen 3 cold boot issue.

Permabanned
It's not normal,care to explain why my Asus Z68/V Gen3 has no boot issues even overclocked?.....Michaeljcox24 have your ruled out your PSU?..even best brands like Corsair can have intermittent faults.

One last point how does your PC behave at default non overclocked speeds same issues?

There have been numerous complaints of the reseting issue of Asus boards with countless complaints from forum members. My mobo was a pre overclocked bundle from overclockers and it has only reset 3 times since end of August last year, however this is not normal but consider myself lucky it hasn't been a consistant problem as others are experiencing the reset issue on a regular basis.
Also the usb can randomly stop working.

I have no idea why your board has not had this issue, you are clearly one of the lucky ones but it is happening to too many people to dismiss it as one offs.

A family member also has an Asus z68 deluxe board and has tried all the suggestions in this thread with no luck, he is on his second board now as the first one packed up completley after weeks of constant reseting.

I hope your board continues to be trouble free.

Soldato
There have been numerous complaints of the reseting issue of Asus boards with countless complaints from forum members. My mobo was a pre overclocked bundle from overclockers and it has only reset 3 times since end of August last year, however this is not normal but consider myself lucky it hasn't been a consistant problem as others are experiencing the reset issue on a regular basis.
Also the usb can randomly stop working.

I have no idea why your board has not had this issue, you are clearly one of the lucky ones but it is happening to too many people to dismiss it as one offs.

A family member also has an Asus z68 deluxe board and has tried all the suggestions in this thread with no luck, he is on his second board now as the first one packed up completley after weeks of constant reseting.

I hope your board continues to be trouble free.

IvanDobskey has no issues either,its clearly either a faulty board or some other issue ie third party hardware , however its not a common issue from all the people I know that use it.
My motherboard and parts were for my new PC I built last November by me,all hand picked even ram etc not a preOC bundle.

Overclocking is done at user risk and its possible it could be OC is too high.

I'll say no motherboard company would release a motherboard with cold boot issues as a stable retail product.

As to my motherboard, I never had to RMA a motherboard in over 20+ years and I've used them all ie DFI,EPOX,ABIT,ECS,ASUS ,MSI etc...;) PSUs is what I get issues with(dying,exploding),lets hope my new Corsair 850w lasts.
To recap what I'm saying is cold boot issues are not normal,never had one in my life with over 25+ years of PC use and no motherboard company would except it as normal either,it could be something like a faulty capacitor ,we all know how many capacitors you'll find on a PC hardware.

Steps I would take, reset everything to normal ie nothing overclocked,try different PSU(to rule out faulty PSU) check ram run memtest86+, last option replace motherboard(if its faulty then nothing you can do except replace it).

Last edited:
Soldato
that ram has xmp profile,i would set to that as it will auto set the vccio/dram and memory speed/timings for you

then see if it still cold boots,im using same memory without issue

I'm using Corsair LP 1600 Vengence,all I did when I built my PC was set it to 1600 manually in BIOS ,checked ram voltage was 1.5v and everything else on auto, no issues.

I never bothered installing Asus AI Suite either,manual overclock in BIOS is very simple enough to do.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Just come in from work and tried to boot the machine up. For anybody who has this board, this is the crucial bit of info that could help solve the problem

I have the Marvel disabled, on board sound disabled, and the JMB disabled, so right after the bios post screen, in the top right hand corner, on a good boot, you get a flashing white cursor, then that dissapears, then you get one slightly below it, then the windows loading screen.

The machine always hangs on the first flashing white cursor, so whatever it is doing then, is causing the problem (one would think)

Current steps:

Have increased memory voltage to 1.55
Set memory timings to cas 8 as rated on the side of the sticks
put PLL voltage back to enabled because it wouldn't even boot at all with it disabled. This was with one stick in at a time aswell.

If it still fails to cold boot tomorrow, will run at stock for a week or so as per recommended by Elevon and see what happens.

Associate
did what Rofflay suggested and the problem went away. After the logo screen of Asus there is still a short flash of cursor on the black screen then Win 7 kicks in, but i guess this has done me well.

Associate
OP
Further Info which may be related:

Last night I had another problem appear which has happened several times before but I'm wondering if the two may be related?

Once the machine had booted (I had speaker on already), the mouse froze up. I could hear from a speakers, I continual noise of the USB being plugged in and out from windows, and almost like it was loosing power and then getting it back (the mouse stayed plugged in throughout).

I'm wondering if the boot problem is related, because boot issues seem to have gotten ten times worse since I upgraded to a new ASUS monitor, which has no USB ports on and forced me to use all 4 usb ports on the back of the board.

Perhaps USB ports are loosing power (or not getting enough power) which is causing lock ups during hardware detection on boot.

EDIT: Just read another thread where one lad showed memtest flagged up dodgy ram caused the issue. Will run tonight with one stick at a time (ive been running with both in at the same time) schoolboy error.

Last edited:
Soldato
Further Info which may be related:

Last night I had another problem appear which has happened several times before but I'm wondering if the two may be related?

Once the machine had booted (I had speaker on already), the mouse froze up. I could hear from a speakers, I continual noise of the USB being plugged in and out from windows, and almost like it was loosing power and then getting it back (the mouse stayed plugged in throughout).

I'm wondering if the boot problem is related, because boot issues seem to have gotten ten times worse since I upgraded to a new ASUS monitor, which has no USB ports on and forced me to use all 4 usb ports on the back of the board.

Perhaps USB ports are loosing power (or not getting enough power) which is causing lock ups during hardware detection on boot.

EDIT: Just read another thread where one lad showed memtest flagged up dodgy ram caused the issue. Will run tonight with one stick at a time (ive been running with both in at the same time) schoolboy error.

Another quick way to test Ram is download a zip file 300MB and test if it MD5 is correct That was one of my first things that started happening all downloads would fail MD5 checksum.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1315961

This file probably wont mean much to you, but just download and see if checksum matches, just a quick little test for ram. If it fails I bet 100% its ram that your problem.

Associate
OP
May have cracked it. Using xmp the command rate shows up in cpu-id as 2T, and I remember when I first set the rig up, using manual timings the command rate defaults to 1T if you don't change it. At the time I didn't know that Vengeance ram was set to 2T, it's not declared on the side of the stick, so I assumed it was 1T.

Will run for a bit longer, 5 reboots and no locks ups on boot, promising so far.

Last edited:
Permabanned
As said earlier a family member is on his second asus board after first one packed up, the new replacement board has also been reseting. He was wondering whether it could be ram related and did a mem test but all was ok.
His ram is Kingstone hyperx grey 2x4gb sticks and was supplied by overclockers with mobo processor bundle and pre overclocked to 4.6ghz.

The said rams timings are 9-9-9-27 so he checked in the bios and found the setting to be 9-9-9-28
So he changed it to 9-9-9-27 and hasn't had a reset yet although it is still being tested and he's gonna give it a week to see if the problem has been eliminated.
Whether this missmatch was causing the problem or if it wouldn't cause the problem we don't know.
He said he'd post on here with his findings after a week of testing.

Has anyone had different timing settings to to the rams timing and could this cause the computer to reset?

Associate
OP
The main problem is the command rate on the board defaults to 1T unless you change it to 2T, which the Vengeance is rated at. The command rate isn't listed on the side of the stick, so I suspect the vast majority of people will assume it doesn't need changing and leave it alone.

It should say 9-9-9-24-2 on the side, would have stopped a hell of a lot of forum posting.

Since getting the command rate at 2T,

- Loss of USB power has stopped happening.
- No more lock ups on boot and double / treble boots.
- 3D benchmarks like heaven are a bit smoother and not jumpy in certain places.
- IE9 no longer locks up and intermittently doesn't load a page with no explanation.

I'm not saying everyones problem is exactly the same as mine, but with an overclocked CPU with would seem on this board, unless you get the timings exactly right, it causes all sorts of problems.

Last edited:
Permabanned
That is really interesting, could this finally solve the problem?

How did you find out the command rate for your ram? I have googled my ram but can't find any info on the command rate for the Kingstone hyperX gensis grey.
The bios settings are at 9-9-9-27-2 but not sure whether the ram's 1T OR 2T.

Associate
OP
If I were you mate:

- Go on the Asus website and find out if the ram is officially supported, in their QVL list for the board

- Go on the Kingston Website and download the datasheet for your set of sticks, it should tell you the timings

- Make sure everything in the bios is set correctly memory wise, this board doesn't seem to like the wrong settings at all.

If your memory is set correctly after all that, try changing loosening it a bit, eg 9-10-9-27-2) (assuming 100% correct is 9-9-9-27-2)

Permabanned
Running at 1T is like overclocking the ram as it will flag as memtest errors and cause BSOD or a lockup or as u say some weird issues on Asus GEN3.

Almost all the ram i have saw for SB is 2T.You can try 1T but your gonna need more volts and even then u might be at the limit.

My ram is 4x4GB 7-8-7-24-2T

I know that expecting to run that is unrealistic and at 1T it might not even boot due to stress of extra modules.I will be trying to boot at 9-9-9-24-2T and will be checking for lockups.

Back
Top Bottom