P8Z68 Pro Gen 3 cold boot issue.

Associate
owner of a Asus P8Z68 VPro/Gen3 and have the same problem.
Im not sure if it is just a coincidence as i have only had the board running 2 days but if i unplug any usb devices before cold boot it seems ok? BTW no overclocking or messing in bios at this stage (std out of the box)

Associate
OP
owner of a Asus P8Z68 VPro/Gen3 and have the same problem.
Im not sure if it is just a coincidence as i have only had the board running 2 days but if i unplug any usb devices before cold boot it seems ok? BTW no overclocking or messing in bios at this stage (std out of the box)

Interesting that you have the same problem at stock.

I have tried upping the memory voltage to 1.55 but the problem still happens.

I might invest in a powered USB hub, i wonder if it would make any difference.

Last edited:
Associate
ok so now i have made all the changes stated in this post and can boot with a usb device in. Is a true test shutting down for 10 min then turning back on or do you have to leave the pc off for a longer period?

Associate
OP
Ok....

Early days yet, but I bought a powered USB hub this afternoon, got 4 devices plugged into it (the same number I had into the back of the board)

Just plugged it in, and machine booted first time, with no hang, no double boot at all.

And machine had been off since lunchtime. To early to make conclusive judgement, so will turn off again before I go for a pint and then boot up when I get back in for another check lads.

Soldato
Ok....

Early days yet, but I bought a powered USB hub this afternoon, got 4 devices plugged into it (the same number I had into the back of the board)

Just plugged it in, and machine booted first time, with no hang, no double boot at all.

And machine had been off since lunchtime. To early to make conclusive judgement, so will turn off again before I go for a pint and then boot up when I get back in for another check lads.

I've been using a 7 port powered USB 2.0 hub with my Asus V/Gen3 since I built it,no issues at all,anyway hope you guys find the cause of your issues.

Associate
OP
Right...

Might of had a skinfull, but I just booted on the first time, no issues at all, not one single problem.

If I go all week not having a single bad boot, I'll declare to this community the root cause of the problem on this board at the moment bad USB power.

Associate
Don't know if it helps, but I have both P8Z68-V and a P8Z68-V LX with Corsair vengeance rams rated at 9-9-9-24-2T and I run them at 9-9-9-22-1T with 1.45v without problem.

edit:
I am using 4 4gb modules on the P8Z68-V mobo and I once had a power loss on my USB3 header, it happened when I used 1.35v only.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Just to let you guys know, my ram should have been @ 9-9-9-27 1600mhz 1.65v, overclockers had overclocked my bundle with ram settings @ 9-9-9-28 1600mhz 1.5v.

I have put it to the settings ity should be and hey presto, no resets as of yet.
All you guys having reset probs make sure/ double check your ram settings are as they should be.

Associate
This is my second bundle from Overclockers as the first one kept bluescreening when overclocked...

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=BU-063-OE

after many e-notes Overclockers replaced the whole bundle and although the new bundle doesn't bluescreen, it is getting the boot resets and hangs as described by others on this thread... I am using the RAM that is in that bundle... I'm going to try some of the solutions here and see how it goes.

Associate
OP
Mine still does it, but very, very rarely.

One thing to note is the higher your overclock, the worse it seems to get.

I'm sitting at 4.5 and I get a double boot about once a fortnight. No pattern to it whatsoever, but upping ram voltage to 1.575 and vccio to 1.2 seems to have helped a lot

I don't think anyone knows the solution to this.

Associate
But it is a fault... I thought buying this pre-overclocked bundle would mean I didn't have to deal with any of this sort of thing. I just wanted to buy the parts, build the computer and start using it.

Associate
I've noticed it seems to happen when the computer has been off for about a day or longer. If I restart the computer or if it has only been off for a couple of hours it usually starts up normally.

Associate
Yeah, ASUS have been completely unhelpful when it came to the issues I've had with their motherboards before.

I think I'll get in touch with Overclockers about it as I don't want to have to fiddle and tweak or else I wouldn't have bought a pre-overclocked system. Just annoying that this is the 2nd bundle and it has issues too... makes me think that ASUS board are pretty rubbish really.

Back
Top Bottom