• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Pascal Titan-X Launch

Man of Honour
Just noticed something else from the specs, I don't think it is a full fat chip as that would have 3840 cores on it. This looks like it has 256 cores disabled.

Does that mean there will be a full fat chip waiting to be released later as yet another Titan variant ?

The price gouging goes on !!!

Associate
You'd buy a 6GB 1080Ti?

We have no idea exactly what vram NVIDIA will give the 1080Ti. I only sidegraded from a 980Ti to Titan X because people were fire selling them at around £400 when the 1080 came out. Would have went 6GB 980Ti SLI but I detest having multiple GPUs and only one working in some newer games.

Associate
Just noticed something else from the specs, I don't think it is a full fat chip as that would have 3840 cores on it. This looks like it has 256 cores disabled.

Does that mean there will be a full fat chip waiting to be released later as yet another Titan variant ?

The price gouging goes on !!!

The 780Ti had unlocked cores compared to the original Titan and was still $300 less on release. Early Titan owners always know they get the worst price v performance by far.

More than enough people will still pay for a reference Titan X @ $1200, even knowing custom 1080Tis some months after will be cheaper and throttle much less when OCd (unless you Watercool the Titan X).

Soldato
I was hoping that the 1080Ti would destroy the 980Ti, but this TitanX-P specs are lower than what I was expecting.
Sure it'll still be faster, but tempting to pick up another 980Ti...

Man of Honour
The 780Ti had unlocked cores compared to the original Titan and was still $300 less on release. Early Titan owners always know they get the worst price v performance by far.

More than enough people will still pay for a reference Titan X @ $1200, even knowing custom 1080Tis some months after will be cheaper and throttle much less when OCd (unless you Watercool the Titan X).

What I was talking about in my previous post was more along the lines of the original Titan launch using a chip with disabled cores. A year later NVidia launched the Titan Black using the same chip but with all the cores enabled and again over £800.

I know there will be a 1080 Ti which will be cheaper but it looks like NVidia could be doing two milking runs on the Titan brand again.

Associate
Why is it called X again?
Why isn't it using HBM2?
Why is it being unveiled with no hype at a low-rent event?

I'm guessing because according from a post from VR world, Nvidia will be releasing 2 versions of this card. So by keeping this name now it allows them to shift these cards now at titan prices to maximize profit and then when the faster version is released with HBM2-16GB they create a new price bracket for Titan XX or whatever they call it and that newer card will have the 50% performance increase from the 1080 so the two cards will look something like...

Titan X 12GB GDDR5X 30% in speed over 1080

Titan XX 16GB HBM2 50% in speed over 1080

I could be talking complete BS buts thats how i would play it :p

http://vrworld.com/2016/07/05/nvidia-gp100-titan-faster-geforce-1080/

Last edited:
Associate
Hmm well I was debating going 1080 SLI but haven't brought yet because Parvum keep delaying case. This has me interested obviously won't be a powerful as 1080 SLI when it's properly supported but we all know how flaky SLI is still.

Would be Watercooling this or Watercooling the 1080 SLI

What do people think New Watercooled Titan X or 1080 SLI.

Associate
I was hoping that the 1080Ti would destroy the 980Ti, but this TitanX-P specs are lower than what I was expecting.
Sure it'll still be faster, but tempting to pick up another 980Ti...

When SLI is working well (around 70% scaling is very good) a 980Ti SLI setup should be slightly faster than a 1080Ti. That's based on the new Titan X being 60% faster than the old one. Looking forward to see how the big chips perform under water at 1900MHz.

Associate
Meh on reference blower cooler, if the 1080 had thermal throttling kicking in this hotter card will have a tougher time. Wonder how quickly custom cooled cards will be out?

Associate
What do people think New Watercooled Titan X or 1080 SLI.

If I was to have that choice (no chance as I want a custom 1080Ti) it would be the new Titan X every time. I'm biased though because of previous disappointment in multiple GPUs.

Can't stand it, like with the new Doom only one card works. When I had the 295x2 the Witcher 3 didn't scale for over a month, the game was really long awaited so that sucked big time. So many DX12 games have had zero scaling on release and I'm interested in the big Xbox One games that are all coming to pc on DX12.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom