PCI express errors/crashes kernel erro41

Man of Honour
Sorry for all the questions guys don’t use think that 1.5volt is high for v core?
I'm pretty sure it is semi-normal for the boost, see here:
To reliably get such high clock speeds, Intel has presumably binned a ton of top-end Raptor Lake Refresh chips, but it seems like the Core i9-14900KS also has some very high default voltages. To hit its 6.2 GHz boost clock, the screenshots indicate that 1.498 volts will be necessary, which is a very high amount of voltage for modern CPUs. However, 5.9 GHz will only require 1.413 volts, which is still high but a more reasonable amount of voltage.

We had the same discussion about Zen 4, because these CPUs also use very high volts for their boost clocks and it comes down to how much power the CPU is pulling when it hits those loads.

More here:

What is your all-core volts is much more important than what your 6 Ghz boost is.

Associate
OP
Guys if I upload a crash dump file would anyone Be able to have a look over it for me? See if it can point me in the direction of what it could be? Many thanks also for all the help it’s really appreciated

Associate
OP
Just had another black screen total crash done the settings earlier also to store kernel crash dump files opened up root directory and no dump file there to check. Is there something else I need to do guys?

Soldato
By any chance are you using the contact frame on the cpu and are you aware that from 12th gen on the stock ilm cpu mounting bracket on the motherboard tends to bend the cpu's over time, perhaps the cpu is warping as it warms up which lifts it up slightly in the socket and thats why you get a crash?

have a look at this (oos atm)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
By any chance are you using the contact frame on the cpu and are you aware that from 12th gen on the stock ilm cpu mounting bracket on the motherboard tends to bend the cpu's over time, perhaps the cpu is warping as it warms up which lifts it up slightly in the socket and thats why you get a crash?

have a look at this (oos atm)

Yes I’m aware of that thanks buddy it’s so strange as booted it up last night once it got to windows it straight black screened then I rebooted it and worked for three hours gaming? I’m really stumped now as to what it could be

Associate
OP
Done a fresh install of windows yesterday and most upto date drivers for gpu , chipset etc just left computer idling on desktop and got a black screen again. I enabled kernel dump files to be written in advanced system settings but it is not storing them? Could anyone help or suggest why that is?

Soldato
Check C\windows\minidump, if there is nothing there, the issue you have isn't making a dump file when it occurs.

Don't know if it's been asked but how are CPU temps at idle and during gaming at the 253w limit.

Have a look at the contact frame, it's always a good thing to install

Have you tried a different DP or hdmi port to rule out a bad connection or port on the 4090?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Check C\windows\minidump, if there is nothing there, the issue you have isn't making a dump file when it occurs.

Don't know if it's been asked but how are CPU temps at idle and during gaming at the 253w limit.

Have a look at the contact frame, it's always a good thing to install

Have you tried a different DP or hdmi port to rule out a bad connection or port on the 4090?
Tried it on hdmi also same issue and temps are like 65c -70cwhen playing warzone temps haven’t really changed tbh

Soldato
Have you checked if your 4090 needs a firmware update?, if not then link below will take you to Nvidia where you can download version 1.2 and check, the tool will tell you if you need to update or not

Download and run it, install the update if prompted, restart and see if the black screen issues go away.

Associate
OP
Have you checked if your 4090 needs a firmware update?, if not then link below will take you to Nvidia where you can download version 1.2 and check, the tool will tell you if you need to update or not

Download and run it, install the update if prompted, restart and see if the black screen issues go away.
Cheers wookie il try that when I’m home it’s only just developed this issue it’s strange

Soldato
This is really odd one, the only thing i can suggest it to fully tear down the pc and start again, pay close attention to the cpu socket and check for miss-aligned pins, as others have stated take out the 4090 and run with the igpu, double check psu connections too, make sure everything is connected properly and clipped in.

with regard to the 4090 are you using the gen5 pcie power cable, have you tried the splitter cable the gpu came with to see if its the same.

have you tried running the pc on a tv instead of your moniter to see if the black screens still persists.

when the black screen occours do any of the boot leds on the motherboard turn on, If they do what colour are they?

there are just so many variables to deal with, a lot of gremlins with your build.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
This is really odd one, the only thing i can suggest it to fully tear down the pc and start again, pay close attention to the cpu socket and check for miss-aligned pins, as others have stated take out the 4090 and run with the igpu, double check psu connections too, make sure everything is connected properly and clipped in.

with regard to the 4090 are you using the gen5 pcie power cable, have you tried the splitter cable the gpu came with to see if its the same.

have you tried running the pc on a tv instead of your moniter to see if the black screens still persists.

when the black screen occours do any of the boot leds on the motherboard turn on, If they do what colour are they?

there are just so many variables to deal with, a lot of gremlins with your build.
Thanks for h t e reply buddy I appreciate all the help and suggestions. So I can’t try the onboard igpu as I have an apex encore and that doesn’t have a built in hdmi. The black screen is not related to my monitor as the whole system crashes the fans hit 100 percent when it fails and I have tried the gpu on the splitter that came with it. I use it on the pci5 high voltage cable that came with the psu I’m really stumped now can’t see it being the motherboard I think personally it’s cpu related personally

Soldato
the whole system crashes the fans hit 100 percent when it fails

that would suggest a overheat issue, do you have to restart or does the pc do it after a while, do any of the boot led's light up when it does crash and fans ramp to 100%, i would say either red or orange led would be on.

kernal 41 just states the pc didnt shut down properly, it relating to pcie could be a red herring

Last edited:
Associate
OP
that would suggest a overheat issue, do you have to restart or does the pc do it after a while, do any of the boot led's light up when it does crash and fans ramp to 100%, i would say either red or orange led would be on.
Yes buddy I have to manually hard reboot it myself by keeping hold of the power button and no leds come on when it crashes I have five case fans also so it is getting enough air I should imagine

Soldato
are you able to move the 4090 into the lower pcie port for testing and have you tried using just 1 stick of ram at a time to rule out bad ram?

do case fans ram up to 100% or is it just the gpu fans that ramp up?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
No I can try that though I’ve ram memtest in my ram and it passes and also Karhu ram test. I’ve not long naught this ram also as my last ram use to get intermittent error 53/55 issues in cold boots then got some gskill and that fixed it worst intermittent pc I’ve ever built so close to just selling up now and going back to console

Back
Top Bottom